Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Archive 2012 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

4x4rock
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Just updated...using a 64MB cf card ...I had the batteries registered so I cleared them first.

Grip was attached with both generic batteries from ebay.

Aug 23, 2012 at 05:27 PM
avuroski
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Just updated mine with 5D3 and a macbook pro, no problems at all. Used a backup 16gb Sandisk extreme SD card and followed the directions. Fast and easy.

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:26 PM
hfgarris
• •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

My 40mm f/2.8 lens firmware update was successful...

Used 5D Mk3 w/latest firmware update, fresh battery, Mac running Mountain Lion, and a Lexar 2GB CF card.

Hope others have good success as well...

-howard

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:53 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Why do need a computer to update the lens firmware, doesn't it work from the memory card?

EBH

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:34 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

EB-1 wrote:
Why do need a computer to update the lens firmware, doesn't it work from the memory card?

If you don't want to use a computer, you could always open up the card and chisel the firmware bits directly onto the chip.

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:53 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

Yes it does. People are just specifying what computer and OS they used to write the firmware to the card.

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:09 PM
bigrob

p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Access wrote:
I got the error the first time (as described above). The second time worked fine. Here was my exact procedure.

The first time, I had the camera power on, removed the CF card, wrote it (and flushed it) on the PC, put it back in the camera, and updated firmware.

After this, the camera was locked up at 2978% or something so I yanked the battery. When I powered it back on, I got a message that the lens update had failed and that I should try to update it again. I removed the lens, power on just to make sure the
...Show more

Had the same problem first time round. Did as you said, not sure if you took out the battery without turning it off - I did.

Then followed your procedure and it worked fine. I didn't have an SD card in. I was using a Duracell 32gb CF card 600x.

Thanks

Aug 25, 2012 at 06:49 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Access wrote:
The first time, I had the camera power on, removed the CF card, wrote it (and flushed it) on the PC, put it back in the camera, and updated firmware. After this, the camera was locked up at 2978% or something so I yanked the battery.

Always turn any camera's power off before you remove any memory card.

Similarly always turn any camera's power off before you insert any memory card.

Basically, always turn any camera's power off before you open the card bay door.

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:08 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Curious about why, since opening the door shuts it off already. I never shut down a camera before swapping a card and miraculously avoided disaster, in more than 10 years of doing it...

Aug 25, 2012 at 07:31 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

hmm, my lens falls within the serial numbers effected, but i can't make this glitch happen no matter what i do so i'm not even gonna bother updating

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

stanj wrote:
Curious about why, since opening the door shuts it off already. I never shut down a camera before swapping a card and miraculously avoided disaster, in more than 10 years of doing it...

You've been a little bit lucky, but most likely because you've waited long enough to let the operating system write all files to the card and update the file tables.

It also means that all the pins make and break contact with the camera off. It is much like the idea that with an external USB card reader you put the card in the reader and then connect the USB.

I don't turn off the camera to swap lenses, but I do turn it off to open the card door.

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:52 PM
orcastu

p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Updated my 40mm to v 1.2.0 with my 5DMk3 v1.1.3 and windows 7 64 bit. No issues

Aug 26, 2012 at 08:30 PM
stanj
• • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Monito wrote:
You've been a little bit lucky, but most likely because you've waited long enough to let the operating system write all files to the card and update the file tables.

Well yes. I wait for the red light to go off first

Aug 26, 2012 at 10:17 PM
pixelpix
• •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

stanj wrote:

+1

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:30 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

Monito wrote:

It also means that all the pins make and break contact with the camtera off. It is much like the idea that with an external USB card reader you put the card in the reader and then connect the USB.

I don't turn off the camera to swap lenses, but I do turn it off to open the card door.

It is not necessary to turn the camera off. CF cards are designed to be hot pluggable. The Vcc and ground pins are longer, ensuring that they make contact first and break contact last.

Ebh

Aug 26, 2012 at 11:35 PM
alundeb
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

EB-1 wrote:
It is not necessary to turn the camera off. CF cards are designed to be hot pluggable. The Vcc and ground pins are longer, ensuring that they make contact first and break contact last.

Ebh

Turning off the camera doesn't help against card removal during write either. The camera won't turn itself off until the writing is finished. In either case, just wait until the write LED has gone off.
The LED is the only safe guide to when the card can be removed without damage.

Aug 27, 2012 at 04:13 PM
hfgarris
• •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

When you request the firmware file download, you have to select what format the file is to be in: Mac, or PC, and which version of the operating system you are running. The appropriate file is then downloaded to your computer where it is "unpacked" to the actual upgrade file the camera requires. Of course, then the computer also has to place the file on the memory card you will use with the camera to perform the upgrade. Once all that is done ... you no longer need the computer.

-howard

Aug 28, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Access
• • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

alundeb wrote:
Turning off the camera doesn't help against card removal during write either. The camera won't turn itself off until the writing is finished. In either case, just wait until the write LED has gone off.
The LED is the only safe guide to when the card can be removed without damage.

Yeah I've never turned the camera off. I just wait for the light to go off and then switch the card (like just about everyone else I know). I remember some of the early DSLRs actually had a little alarm that would beep when you opened the door to inform you that you should not pull the card while it's still writing.

If Datalight DOS is anything like windows (versus Linux), devices like CF cards are mounted as removable meaning writes take priority and the write cache will always be emptied as soon as possible.

Probably what happened here is that the firmware update was only tested in an older camera that didn't store, update, or have access to the battery data. For some reason, the two interfere.

BTW in the embedded world, generally, "off" is not really off. In most cases, flipping the power switch to 'off' merely puts the device to sleep, putting the SRAM and micro in a low-power sleep mode where state is retained. This way you have instant-on capability versus, say, the original Digital Rebel (300D) where after turning the camera on, you could not shoot a photo for about a second or two (because the firmware had to boot up).

So when it locked up in the firmware update, and refused to turn off even if you flipped the switch, that's why. The firmware is hung and nonresponsive to input. Why Canon didn't bother with a hardware watchdog, I don't know. Pulling the battery will power down the micro so you get a reboot when you put it back in. The only state retained when the battery is pulled is battery-backup RAM, flash, and NVRAM.

If you don't believe this, turn your camera off. Then turn it back on, and see how quickly you can take a photo: instantly (as long as your DSLR isn't really old). Now leave the switch on, but open the battery door (with most of the current Canons, this alone cuts the battery power. You don't actually have to eject the battery). Close the battery door, and try to take a photo right away. You can't, because the firmware is booting. It takes around 1-2 seconds before you can take the photo.

Aug 28, 2012 at 05:33 AM
WilliamG
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

No problem updating my 1.1.3 5D III + 40mm lens via Mac OS X 10.8 on my 2009 iMac.

Aug 28, 2012 at 08:35 AM
ns2397
• •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Canon EF 40mm f/2.8 STM Lens Firmware v1.2.0 update!

It looks update via Mac OS X is safer than Windows.

Aug 30, 2012 at 12:32 AM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password