Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · % of pictures that get post processed

01Ryan10
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · % of pictures that get post processed

I'm just curious the amount of post processing in terms of quantity of photos you guys do per shoot will get. Does it depend?

If you present 50 pictures to a client, how many of those 50 will get PPing not including cropping? Does it depend?

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:18 PM
Hammy
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · % of pictures that get post processed

Totally depends on your business model.

Wedding photographers probably process most of their images before viewing/delivery. The customer is paying for that service.

Most of my business is youth sports, where 0% of the images are PP'd before client viewing. We shoot to sell, so what the sensor sees is what the customer sees.

We have some events where we sell after taking photos: if they buy prints, we'll touch (crop, possibly color correct and NR) every one of those before printing.
But about 40% of the photos are bought in digital format where they get what the camera got, burned straight to disc and delivered.

Other events, we burn everything straight to disc: 350,000 pix in 3 days went home with 12,000 competitors and coaches from 50 different countries at our last major event.... all straight from the camera.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:00 PM
01Ryan10
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · % of pictures that get post processed

350K pics in 3 days!!! Wow! haha.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:03 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · % of pictures that get post processed

My work is Fine Art and I would think that I do at least some PP on 100% of the images that I sell or present to a client.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · % of pictures that get post processed

Only show your best work. Whatever amount of post-processing that takes, envisioned at time of shooting and otherwise.

Carson Wilcox wrote:
My work is Fine Art and I would think that I do at least some PP on 100% of the images that I sell or present to a client.

+1

For event photography, post-processing is much lower and much less.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:30 PM
cwebster
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · % of pictures that get post processed

I do studio photography of high-end hand-made musical instruments. 100% of the photos the client sees are post processed. No one gets to see the "straight out of the camera" shots unless they attend the shoot (which I discourage), and no one gets "all the shots." For a typical shoot where I need to deliver 5-7 finished shots, I'll typically shoot 60-100 shots across 7-10 setups.

<Chas>

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:53 PM
01Ryan10
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · % of pictures that get post processed

Thanks for the responses.

Aug 22, 2012 at 05:24 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · % of pictures that get post processed

I don't shoot for clients but every photo gets post processing in the form of capture sharpening and noise reduction suitable for the ISO and camera. Then I zap the obvious crap, and then I review and tweak some more with white balance, cropping, better sharpening, exposure, contrast, highlight and shadow recovery, etc.. Then I rate and keyword. Later on I'll get around to serious pp to suit large printing or whatever.

- Alan

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:17 AM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password