Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Photographer needs photographer!

echelonphoto
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Photographer needs photographer!

My son is getting married on Fri. , Nov.2nd at a popular south Jersey venue. I want to step back
and not get too physically involved with the photoshoot. I already have photojournalist who I know
well to document the entire event, but I need someone with experience, technique, and style to
run the formals. All posed formals will be done before the Ceremony...late afternoon for about
3 hours.

We have some definite ideas and visions in mind...need someone who can execute them and
bring their own visions to the shoot. I would work minimally in the background before the ceremony to help with organization and would meet with the photog before the wedding to discuss the shoot.

The Bride and Groom are stunningly good looking (not just my opinion), so we will be able to
capture some very special images. Individual I choose will be permitted to use some images
for their portfolio. Shoot will also include some vehicles that are special to us. Being November,
outdoor may be iffy...but venue is very photogenic inside as well...photographer should be well
versed in off camera flash techniques.

The total time for the shoot will only be three hours...so nice short job for the right person

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:23 AM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Photographer needs photographer!

echelonphoto wrote:
Individual I choose will be permitted to use some images
for their portfolio.

I was just wondering why you would think the photographer cannot use all the images?

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:44 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Photographer needs photographer!

Robin Usagani wrote:
I was just wondering why you would think the photographer cannot use all the images?

me too, didn't answer as I'm not a pro photographer though

Aug 21, 2012 at 09:49 AM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Photographer needs photographer!

OP says he's got a "photojournalist" to "document the entire event," and that he knows that photographer well. It's not a stretch to think the OP knows what that photographer's skills are and aren't, and has probably even discussed this with him or her. Shooting formals, particularly fine-art-style formals and executing someone else's vision, is a different skill set from photojournalism, and I'd guess the OP is posting because it's not his friend's strong suit.

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:57 AM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Photographer needs photographer!

Im hesitant because when I get hired - it is for the whole day, not just the formals. You want my vision? great - let me capture the whole day. To me this sounds craigslisty where you say I have a friend who knows photography, but we need you to just do formals and I am a photographer myself and wont step in *TOO* much. You can keep some photos and this is a great portfolio builder since the bride and groom are good looking and so is the Venue!! I see red flags all over the place. No thank you.

My opinion about hiring ( or most likely for free ) photojournalist friend - great, they know how to take photo journalistic photos, but a wedding photographer's experience goes much further than just knowing how to set up formal shots. There are so many little nuances that one probably does not know unless you are well versed in the wedding industry. What about directing cake cutting, getting ready shots, first dance, and just the bride and groom? What if they ask the photog for guidance? ( happens ALL the time ).

If this photographer friend is that good, then trust them for the whole day. This just sounds like someone on a budget who doesnt want to pony up and hire a pro for the entire day. What you dont get is that 3, 4, or 8 hours, I use my Saturday to shoot your wedding and therefore cant do another wedding - so I have to charge quite a bit *EVEN* if Im just shooting for 3 hours. Travel time is still the same, equipment expenses are still the same, car insurance, equipment insurance, using my Saturday up..... all still the same regardless if I do a 3 or 10 hour gig.

My best advice - You don't have to spend a fortune on a wedding photographer, but don't skimp out either. A good wedding photographer will want creative rights to using their images and legally you dont have the right to tell them what they can or cannot use UNLESS, you modify a contract, which you should be prepared to pay extra $$ for. A good photographer will want to capture the entire day and will charge you a decent amount *NOT* to, because they still have to turn away other potential clients for that date.

Honestly I kind of take this post as a slap in the face, be it the intention or not of the OP.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:20 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Photographer needs photographer!

Guys, this OP is talking about a three hour shoot, not a 30-minute quickie craigslist deal. It's a project. Granted, he hasn't posted a budget, so if he comes in and says he's only able to pay a couple hundred bucks for it, then it's silly to post here, but it sounds to me as though he's got specific ideas in mind and wants one style for documentary images, and an artistic style and skillset for the formals. Just treat it like any project photo shoot, price accordingly, and see what the guy says. Hell, he's been on FM for eight years; he's probably not a jackass.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:29 PM
widjayaman
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Photographer needs photographer!

Just a little caveat from the description from the OP:

"We have some definite ideas and visions in mind...need someone who can execute them and
bring their own visions to the shoot. "

So you will have to do exactly what he tells you, and on top of that bring your own vision.

Even if the pay is really good I would still hesitate to apply. But hey, someone's gotta bite sooner or later, so good luck!

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:37 PM
dmward
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Photographer needs photographer!

Based on years doing commercial photography where the clients were art directors with definite visions, in the form of sketches etc. This sounds like an advertising shoot to me. And, it implies that studio type lighting setups are going to add value.

If I lived in the area I'd probably contact the OP and give him my half day rate for commercial photography. Which is definitely different that a 4 hour wedding gig.

Or, maybe he's interested in paying travel and expenses.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:49 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Photographer needs photographer!

Sounds to me like you'll have this guy up your back the entire time "art-directing" you. So for the average wedding tog, this might be strange to experience. Someone with commercial experience of working with an AD would probably be better off.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Photographer needs photographer!

Boy....Looks like we have some high and mighty and lofty folks here. I certainly didn't want to hurt anyone's ego here...I guess they are very fragile. When I mentioned ideas...we do
have a theme going and the bride also has some specific ideas. This does not mean that
we will ask someone to bow down and give up their integrity to shoot the job, but and not looking for one of those "run and gun" shooters who have no idea how to light a job. There is somewhat of a script within the context of the B&G and the venue...maybe someone with some commercial experience would be the ticket.

As far as the photojournalist goes...he does work for me , and I am paying him. He is a
second shooter whose full time job is for a newspaper, so he has quite a wonderful skill
set for this kind of shooting. When we work together, he compliments me very well...as
I am the more technical kind of shooter.

Finally if your here to jump all over me...and soothe your fragile ego...please stay out of
it...esp. if you are located half way across the country

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:17 PM
imaginephotoaz
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Photographer needs photographer!

I'm from NJ, so I'm insulted that you'd define my rights to opine in a public forum based on my geographic location. Further, I was pretty spot-on, was I not?

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Daboyle
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Photographer needs photographer!

echelon no egos bruised here....I just dont see purpose if you cant trust a wedding photographer to do their job that you hired them to do? Please explain why you don't want the photographer to have all rights to the images THEY took?

If you can only take advice from people in your area, then you aren't going to get the full spectrum. You limit your realm of influence, and therefore your potential....kind of a silly argument to say I wont take advice if you live more than XX miles away from me. Some of the best advice I have gotten is from photographers many thousands of miles away, including inko, hoffer and hassas. I respect those guys and would not be running things the way I am today if it wasn't for tidbits of advice and information they have provided on this forum.

Also, I see wedding photographs on your website, so why not use one of your photographers that you have seeing as your site says Echelon photographerS??

I'd personally take much more advice from a photographer across the country who does weddings rather than my neighbor next door who photographs for the newspaper if I want to know about wedding photography. Just sayin...

Edited on Aug 21, 2012 at 01:51 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:40 PM
echelonphoto
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Photographer needs photographer!

I guess I was spot on....there are other posts here from halfway across the country.

What exactly is your polemic?

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:41 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Photographer needs photographer!

Gads, this forum can be a strange place.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:57 PM
whtrbt7
• •
[X]
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Photographer needs photographer!

Sounds like you need 2 people to run the formals. Not sure if it would really take 3 hours though unless you had enough vehicles and locations to shoot multiple copies of formals. Yes, I know I'm in the south but I used to be in the NYC/tri-state area. I might be able to ping some contacts in the area if you need. Do you also need a furniture person, MUA, or fashion consult? If it was me doing the shoot, that's what I would have arranged for formals.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:15 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Photographer needs photographer!

Ian Ivey wrote:
OP says he's got a "photojournalist" to "document the entire event," and that he knows that photographer well. It's not a stretch to think the OP knows what that photographer's skills are and aren't, and has probably even discussed this with him or her. Shooting formals, particularly fine-art-style formals and executing someone else's vision, is a different skill set from photojournalism, and I'd guess the OP is posting because it's not his friend's strong suit.

You lost me....
I just dont understand why the OP had to bring up about how the photographer can use "some" of the photos he/she took. Just sounds very odd. That is all.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:21 PM
Ian Ivey
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Photographer needs photographer!

I just dont understand why the OP had to bring up about how the photographer can use "some" of the photos he/she took. Just sounds very odd. That is all.

Oh, I see, sorry. I misread, and thought you were asking (as some others have) why he wasn't using the PJ guy for the formals.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Serious

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Photographer needs photographer!

Ok. So you want an experienced person who knows off camera flash to run formals? I don't think anyone with real experience would waste their time. To have you oversee and hover over them for three hours seems more trouble than anyone with talent would want to be involved in. Have your original photographer do this or post on Craigslist. I can only imagine how much you'd be willing to pay. And to limit what that photographer can use is a complete joke.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:50 PM
Robin Usagani
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Photographer needs photographer!

I dont know about you guys but for me... the group shot is what I hate the most in wedding photography. It is like herding cats. Where is uncle Jimmy? Smoking over there? Aunt Laurine? Smile! Same background over and over. We want photo of us with only the bride too! ACK!
Even worse when both set of parents are divorced and remarried. Oh my.....

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:59 PM
sgtbueno
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Photographer needs photographer!

this is a great place to read and have a good time

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.