Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              11       12       end

Archive 2012 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Ralph Conway
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Psychic1 wrote:
Product liability insurance, users claimed it gave them headaches from eye strain.
I used it and must agree, it did cause some discomfort.
Like furniture shopping with me wife
ECF in the EOS 5 was working perfect for me. I shot the EOS 3 only one time, so I did not get any headaches. But I was amazed by the 45 point ECF. It was working perfect (for me).

Ralph

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:41 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Is this mentioned to be FF? If, THIS will surely not be the entry level one ...

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:43 PM
artd
• • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

gdanmitchell wrote:
There was never any real doubt that Canon would have to produce higher MP cameras, especially in the full-frame arena, given what other companies are doing.

Dan

I think there actually is still real doubt. As mentioned, there are a lot of conflicting rumors.

That said, the spec list for this supposed 3DX looks about right. 46mp is right around the target Canon should be trying to hit if they are looking to seriously differentiate a high mp model.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:58 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

gdanmitchell wrote:
There was never any real doubt that Canon would have to produce higher MP cameras, especially in the full-frame arena, given what other companies are doing.

Dan

Yes, you are absolutely right, Dan! But HERE on FM some try/tried severely to undermine the facts to push prices higher for current gear like e.g. the 5D III. "Surprisingly", those who told me I am totally wrong with my assumptions a few months ago are very, very quiet now.....for the most time at least.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:29 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

artd wrote:
I think there actually is still real doubt. As mentioned, there are a lot of conflicting rumors.

That said, the spec list for this supposed 3DX looks about right. 46mp is right around the target Canon should be trying to hit if they are looking to seriously differentiate a high mp model.

I don't see any conflicting rumors, most of them actually make sense. The only one I am in doubt with is the high MP cropped sensor camera. But I agree with your second paragraph fully.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:32 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

..and you're still wrong. Check B&H

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search?Ntt=CANON+EOS+5D+MARK+III&N=0&InitialSearch=yes&sts=ma

price hasn't gone down. If BeachCamera is selling the bundle cheap is because Ebay carries the difference.

Retro, you enjoy dreaming so it's better not to 'wake' you up too often .

retrofocus wrote:
Yes, you are absolutely right, Dan! But HERE on FM some try/tried severely to undermine the facts to push prices higher for current gear like e.g. the 5D III. "Surprisingly", those who told me I am totally wrong with my assumptions a few months ago are very, very quiet now.....for the most time at least.

Edited on Aug 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:43 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Ralph Conway wrote:
Is this mentioned to be FF? If, THIS will surely not be the entry level one ...

I believe it will be sorted into the top of the pyramid next to the 1Dx. 1Dx comes with FF 18MP and faster fps rate, the new rumored 3Dx comes very likely with FF 46 MP and slower fps rate. So you can choose between speed and resolution. It might unfortunately take a while (another 6 months?) for the 3Dx sensor technology to make its way down to 5D IV. I hoped that it would be instantly there as real competition against the D800, but after this rumor appearance I am not so sure anymore.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:44 PM
artd
• • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

retrofocus wrote:
I don't see any conflicting rumors, most of them actually make sense. The only one I am in doubt with is the high MP cropped sensor camera. But I agree with your second paragraph fully.

In the very rumor you linked to, it states: "I’m still on the fence as to whether or not we’ll see another DSLR for Photokina, lots of conflicting information ."

An almost identical rumor was posted on northlight-images. That one however also mentions 16bit raw files. And that is red flag for me, makes me think it is someone's wish list. Because from a technical point there is not really much to be gained from going 14-bit to 16-bit. Well, except maybe marketing spin.

Edited on Aug 21, 2012 at 02:47 PM · View previous versions

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:16 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

artd wrote:
In the very rumor you linked to, it states: "I’m still on the fence as to whether or not we’ll see another DSLR for Photokina, lots of conflicting information ."

An almost identical rumor was posted on northlight-images. That one however also mentions 16bit raw files. And that is red flag for me, makes me think it is someone's wish list. Because from a technical point there is not really much to be gained from going 14-bit to 16-bit. Well, except maybe marketing spim.

Yes, well, we will see, too early to know details about the specs, and I agree, some things might not be valid in regard to the detailed specs. I am sure it will get clearer in the next days and few weeks to come.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:18 PM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

I would hope that a high MPixel camera aimed at landscape photographers would come in at 5D Mark III prices or a bit less since it may not need such fancy AF or even need video.

The 5D3 is a generalist camera. It has to be powerful in many ways. A high MPixel camera can specialize and be much less powerful in some ways, i.e. much lower frames per second rate.

I don't believe any rumours. I believe official announcements, major review site articles, and major retailer newsletters.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:50 PM
safcraft
• • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

One thing though....that is a sexy looking camera (rumour or no rumour)
Hope its true and it not 1D size...

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:01 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

retrofocus wrote:
I believe it will be sorted into the top of the pyramid next to the 1Dx. 1Dx comes with FF 18MP and faster fps rate, the new rumored 3Dx comes very likely with FF 46 MP and slower fps rate. So you can choose between speed and resolution. It might unfortunately take a while (another 6 months?) for the 3Dx sensor technology to make its way down to 5D IV. I hoped that it would be instantly there as real competition against the D800, but after this rumor appearance I am not so sure anymore.

So this might be what I mentioned before. A high MP FF. All same like 1D X except resolution (sensor) and Framerate. Price tag at 1D X? Or in between X and 5D III? And still some space in pricerange for an entry level body instead of 5D II (the 7D II). :-)

Ralph

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:03 PM
retrofocus
• • • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Ralph Conway wrote:
So this might be what I mentioned before. A high MP FF. All same like 1D X except resolution (sensor) and Framerate. Price tag at 1D X? Or in between X and 5D III? And still some space in pricerange for an entry level body instead of 5D II (the 7D II). :-)

Ralph

We are on the same page here, Ralph !

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Why not Retro? Sometimes you might be right, too ...

Aug 21, 2012 at 03:32 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Maybe a high MP Canon will arrive soon. Maybe it will be announced soon, and arrive later.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:48 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Ralph Conway wrote:

Ralph

It'll be a D800 competitor.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Anything less than the equivalent of a 1D-Xs would be second rate. The relatively cheap, high MP, but sluggard body is of no interest to me. A pro body has the battery power, space and heat dissipation for the fast multiple processors needed to achieve decent framing rates at high resolution.

EBH

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • • •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

gdanmitchell wrote:

artd wrote:

The timing is not known, but the probability of a higher MP Canon DSLR is essentially certain.

I have seen no indictions that this won't happen, I have seen some indications that it will, and logic suggests it must.

Dan

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:54 PM
splathrop
• • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

Can any new high MP Canon be a full-featured professional camera, like the 1DX, and still compete on price? Wouldn't that leave the field open to Nikon and the D800, at a much lower price?

I decided to stick with Canon because I have a few lenses that seem just unbelievably good to me, that I don't want to take a chance on parting with, even if I could replace some of them with equivalent Nikon models. Who knows what you are going to get? But if a new high MP, high feature, Canon body turns out to be ~$7,500, then that makes the choice for me, and it's off to Nikon.

I could see a high MP body with 5D3 focusing, or even with fewer focussing points, and optimized live view focussing (at least as good as 5D II now). And if you can, give me ISO 800 that's as good as ISO 200 (or 100!) on my 5d II. After that strip out whatever it takes to keep the cost down. If I have to stretch to $4,000, I'll grit my teeth and do it. More than that, why not switch?

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:34 AM
Jeff
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · High MP Canon DSLR on the rise?

retrofocus wrote:
As I also said, we will see 5D III prices dropping sharply very soon, too.....

Yes, you create opportunities to remind us every chance you get (and even some you don't); I think we've got it now.

Aug 22, 2012 at 09:22 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.