Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Prevelige
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Since I upgraded to the FW 2.0, my camera doesn't recognize the batteries anymore. Does anyone have experience with this issue? Any fixes?

Bob

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:12 AM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Mine still works just fine. Is it possible to try to reload the firmware?

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:15 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Mine was updated the first day, about 2 weeks ago and everything is fine. I don't normally care about the battery as long as it supplies power but I checked for grins. It lists the type of battery, recharge performance, shutter count and remaining power. Is that considered "recognized"? Or are there more stats or a special moniker?

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:31 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D Firmware glitch?

I upgraded the first day as well, with no apparent issues. The camera has been fine. I put in a fresh battery yesterday, and the LCD displays "battery not recognized, do you want to continue?". When I hit yes, everything functions normally, but there is no battery charge or life indicator on the top LCD display.

Initially I thought it was because a 3rd party battery, but when I replaced that with a canon battery, the issue continued.

Maybe I'll reload the firmware tomorrow.

Aug 21, 2012 at 04:52 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D Firmware glitch?

I'm the only one that's experienced this? If that's true, then a reload should help. Let me know if anyone else had to reload the firmware.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:23 PM
ruhell

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D Firmware glitch?

It might not be the reason why, but did You take the battery out of Your camera after the upgrade? If not that might be it.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:31 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D Firmware glitch?

I reloaded the FW today, but there is no change. The actual message says "Cannot communicate with battery, Use this battery?" If I click OK, the camera functions normally, except for the lack of LCD info about the battery charge or status.

Any other ideas? I rather not ship it to CPS.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:18 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D Firmware glitch?

ruhell wrote:
It might not be the reason why, but did You take the battery out of Your camera after the upgrade? If not that might be it.

I didn't remove my battery after the FW update and it reports fine.

Like computers and smartphones, sometimes camera operating code gets scrambled and you get glitches. Normally a PRAM reset (remove backup & main batteries & let sit a spell) fixes it.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

ruhell

p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D Firmware glitch?

It was just a thought since they've specified this in the instructions -"...remove battery from the camera for at least two seconds...".
I can't remember if they specified this on the previous updates.

Regards

Aug 22, 2012 at 07:52 PM
py2000
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Mine has been working fine since the FW upgrade. I followed the instructions closely and I only use genuine Canon batteries though.

Aug 22, 2012 at 08:57 PM
GammyKnee

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D Firmware glitch?

I don't think the update procedures changed for 2.0; seem to remember the "take the battery" out instructions for all the previous updates I installed.

I remember there being a rash of battery comms problems being reported on DPR after 1.2.5 came out. No conclusions were ever drawn, but I remember that was one reason I stuck at 1.2.3 (the other being that 1.2.5 didn't offer me anything I needed). A trip to Canon service was usually required to fix it.

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:55 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D Firmware glitch?

OK, thanks. I got an email back from CPS saying to pull the batteries, etc. If that doesnt work, send it in...

Just my luck!

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:28 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Prevelige wrote:
Initially I thought it was because a 3rd party battery, but when I replaced that with a canon battery, the issue continued.

Perhaps performing the firmware update with a counterfeit battery installed has damaged your camera... ?

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:30 PM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Actually, the battery when updated was an original. It was when I first changed to a new battery (3rd party) that I noticed it wouldn't communicate with the battery.

Aug 23, 2012 at 01:34 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D Firmware glitch?

I just remembered I have a SterlingCrack fake LP-E6 and, just for you, tried it in my FW2 7D. And, hot damn, it reports that it is present and accounts for performance and remaining charge. I can't remember if that's normal or hosed since I don't normally check the battery menu but I do know it is the same info my non-fake Canon battery shows in the menu. Seems like it used to report a serial number but maybe I saw that in a dream and it's actually not real... Perhaps the key is to never pull the battery after a FW update. I've done dozens since 2003 and all have been fine.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Prevelige
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D Firmware glitch?

Ok, well thanks for trying a 3rd party battery. In some sense I'm glad to hear that it works, at least to know Canon hasn't functionally blacklisted 3rd party batteries with their new firmware.

I'm still S.O.L. and looking at a trip to CPS, but hopefully it won't be too expensive.

Aug 23, 2012 at 03:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password