Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

maxx9photo
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

Hello guys, I just bought Dell U2711 for heck of deal (new $628) and have question in mind regarding calibrating again since I print my own now via canon propixma 9500. So do
i need to get a calibration software (like spyder data color) in order to get best result?

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:11 PM
BobCollette
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

The only way that you can be certain that the monitor is properly calibrated is to calibrate it yourself using a hardware calibrator. How much of a difference a custom calibration/characterization will make depends upon how well calibrated it was when it left the factory. Some of the professional (and expensive) monitors such as Eizo and NEC tend to be better calibrated than do other monitors that are sold in stores. Most monitors that are sold in stores tend to be setup with high luminance values. The bright displays look good in brightly lit stores, but are far from being correctly setup for critical color viewing and print matching. While there is no absolute correct luminance value for a properly calibrated monitor (it depends upon your viewing environment), it generally falls in the range of 90-120 cd/m^2.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:28 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

Most of the Dell displays do tend to exhibit moderately high dE errors from the factory. There's a UK website that has lots and lots o real test data.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:09 PM
tived
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

you can look at it two ways,

if your prints looks like your screen - then you are ok for your own work

if they don;t then you will need to calibrate

i would recommend a Xrite display pro

Henrik

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:42 PM
WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

The u2711 is remarkably good out of the box but should be calibrated mine was much to bright.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:57 PM
JoeMelzer
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

Mine was way too warm. Everytime after boot when the profile kicks in, I think "whoa, feeling blue today" Seriously, the u2711 is a great device but if you leave the srgb color space - which is the sense in buying a wide gamut device - you really should calibrate it. Otherwise you simply can't be sure of what you see and what other people see when watching your images.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:31 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Should I calibrate the new monitor?

maxx9photo wrote:
Hello guys, I just bought Dell U2711 for heck of deal (new $628) and have question in mind regarding calibrating again since I print my own now via canon propixma 9500. So do i need to get a calibration software (like spyder data color) in order to get best result?

Yes.

Note: Calibration and profiling are two separate things often done at the same time when using software. Calibration brings all the tones into range so that blacks are black, whites are white, near blacks are distinguishable from black and so on for white and RGB.

Profiling makes curves for the response of the monitor so your monitor response can be recreated on other monitors and in printing. So that what you see will be seen the same by other people and via the prints the printer produces. So a low red might need a slight boost while a mid red a slight drop and a high red nothing. Profiles are inserted in the image metadata.

Your new monitor is probably reasonably or well calibrated (check with calibration images) but even so, others and the printer won't see exactly what you see without profiling.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:36 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.