Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · a little d7000 help?

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · a little d7000 help?

In Feb this year, I bought a NIB d7k and didn't get much shutter time with it (just some test shots at close distance inside the house) until well beyond the time where the return period had expired.

Seems like my d7k has a backfocus issue, but only at longer distances, like 75' or so. For example, at/near infinity focus at 300mm, the subject is OOF and actual focus seems to be behind the subject. At closer distances and shorter focal lengths, the issue goes away. Unfortunately, I don't have any test shots that can demonstrate this clearly. Sorry that I haven't any good demo images, but when I found the problem, I put the d7k on the shelf and went back to using the d300.

This seems pretty weird to me. I don't recall ever reading about BF only at certain distances. So, I'd like to know if others have encountered this issue and if Nikon service can fix it without goofing up the rest of the AF.

I'm not sure how to go about making samples for Nikon service that can easily demonstrate the issue at long distances. I'm thinking about putting a bunch of AF test targets on a large piece of cardboard and then lay that down on the ground behind a vertical subject target. Any suggestions on how to better accomplish this task would be welcome. I'll be testing with several long lenses. I want to make sure that I can easily demonstrate where the problem lies and make sure that it's not just this particular lens that the d7k doesn't like.

thanks
Kerry

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:32 PM
Guari
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · a little d7000 help?

only one lens backfocusing Kerry?

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:41 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · a little d7000 help?

If it's still within warranty, send it to Nikon. I had BF issues, and instead of trying to adjust each lens, I just sent them the camera and told them what was wrong. I got it back in under two weeks fixed.

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:46 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · a little d7000 help?

Kerry, is your SS adequate and long lens technique up to snuff?? As you know that's an effective FOV of 450mm
using 300mm on the D7K. My 1st shots at distance were less than stellar with this new sensor (2 yrs ago Nov)
and it drove me nuts until I figured out it was just motion blur. Tightened up my technique (D3/D700 makes one
lazy) and things have been great since. Not sayin' you don't have a "real issue" here, hope you find and fix soon.

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:53 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · a little d7000 help?

Guari wrote:
only one lens backfocusing Kerry?

So far as I know, this is a problem with only one lens so far, but I have several other long tele's that need to be tested. That's why I was asking for input on the best way to demonstrate the issue at longer distances.

thanks

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:06 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · a little d7000 help?

leighton w wrote:
If it's still within warranty, send it to Nikon. I had BF issues, and instead of trying to adjust each lens, I just sent them the camera and told them what was wrong. I got it back in under two weeks fixed.

Wow, you didn't need to send sample images? That's cool. It would be much easier just to tell describe the issue than to demonstrate it, I think. Did you have BF at all focal lengths and distances?

thanks

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:08 PM
leighton w
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · a little d7000 help?

Kerry Pierce wrote:
Wow, you didn't need to send sample images? That's cool. It would be much easier just to tell describe the issue than to demonstrate it, I think. Did you have BF at all focal lengths and distances?

thanks

I think they knew they had an issue with some D7000's, so they really didn't need to see any examples. I believe they know just what to do when you tell them your problem. Yes, mine had BF at all FL's the best I can remember. BTW, it's spot on now.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:12 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · a little d7000 help?

trenchmonkey wrote:
Kerry, is your SS adequate and long lens technique up to snuff?? As you know that's an effective FOV of 450mm
using 300mm on the D7K. My 1st shots at distance were less than stellar with this new sensor (2 yrs ago Nov)
and it drove me nuts until I figured out it was just motion blur. Tightened up my technique (D3/D700 makes one
lazy) and things have been great since. Not sayin' you don't have a "real issue" here, hope you find and fix soon.

Yeah, I hear ya. I first noticed the issue after shooting a tennis gig. I was using the 70-200vr on the d3s for the short stuff and a 100-300 f/4 on the d7k for the long stuff. Typical shutter speeds were 1/5000 at 300mm, on a nice, sunny day.

Later tests on tripod with SS of 1/1000 typical, still showing the issue as I described. I haven't had any issues with shorter lenses at relatively short distances. For example, I tested the lens when I first got it, with the 24-70, indoors, so the max distance would be around 20ft.

thanks
Kerry

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · a little d7000 help?

leighton w wrote:
I think they knew they had an issue with some D7000's, so they really didn't need to see any examples. I believe they know just what to do when you tell them your problem. Yes, mine had BF at all FL's the best I can remember. BTW, it's spot on now.

Okay, thanks, that helps a great deal. I'll send them a message and see what they have to say. I'd very much like to have the AF work on the d7k like it does on my other bodies.

thanks
Kerry

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:16 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · a little d7000 help?

sounds like a issue, here is a pic of a tern with my previous d7000 over 75 feet away, 70-300 d ed af lens, the focus is spot on

Joe

NIKON D7000    300mm    f/11.0    1/400s    280 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:37 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · a little d7000 help?

I haven't tried any BIF with my 70-300vr on the d7k. That's another test that I think might be good to do, while I fooling with it. I want to have some good comparison images for when it comes back from service. Thanks for giving me the idea, Joe.

Kerry

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:30 PM
thursdaylsr
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · a little d7000 help?

One of mine had the same issue, but only with 300mm+ lenses at a decent distance. I sent it to Nikon for a cleaning and said that there were also AF issues and it was fixed. All I paid for was the cleaning, I wasn't asked for sample shots either. It's perfect now with all m lenses, nothing needs tuned now.

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:47 PM
trenchmonkey
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · a little d7000 help?

BIF with the D7K and 70-300 VR I may know a little about THAT

NIKON D7000    210mm    f/6.3    1/2000s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON D7000    300mm    f/6.3    1/1600s    400 ISO    -0.3 EV  

NIKON D7000    230mm    f/8.0    1/1250s    250 ISO    -0.7 EV  

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:56 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · a little d7000 help?

thursdaylsr wrote:
One of mine had the same issue, but only with 300mm+ lenses at a decent distance. I sent it to Nikon for a cleaning and said that there were also AF issues and it was fixed. All I paid for was the cleaning, I wasn't asked for sample shots either. It's perfect now with all m lenses, nothing needs tuned now.

Wow, that's great news, thursdaylsr! You having the same problem and getting it fixed first time in, is just terrific. I was afraid that I had some really weird problem that they wouldn't be able to fix. So, I just need to do the sample "before" pics and send it in. I assume that you sent yours to Melville, is that correct?

thanks
Kerry

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:25 PM
Kerry Pierce
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · a little d7000 help?

trenchmonkey wrote:
BIF with the D7K and 70-300 VR I may know a little about THAT

Hey, that's cool, TM! I just gotta get my butt in gear and go down to the lake with the combo and d300 for comparison to the d7k. If I take a loaf of bread, I'll get all of the seagulls on lake St Clair to zoom by. I'll do some Alfred Hitchcock knockoffs and post them here. All I need is a cute little blonde.

Aug 21, 2012 at 07:38 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · a little d7000 help?

I think that one is dead

Joe

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:14 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password