Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Big Bad John

Alan Young
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Big Bad John

Another savoury character from the civil war re-enactment.

Alan

Alan Young 2012

Canon EOS 5D Mark II    50mm    f/4.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:47 PM
douter
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Big Bad John

Alan:
This doesn't look like quite the same processing as applied to the others, am I wrong?
Douglas

Aug 22, 2012 at 10:23 PM
Alan Young
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Big Bad John

Hi Douglas

Same process, but dialled down slightly.

Alan

Aug 23, 2012 at 11:45 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Big Bad John

Alan,

Are people "re-enacting" the American Civil War on your side of the pond? I'd find that fascinating because so far as I know no one over here does the War of the Roses or Cromwell's "New Model Army."

Interesting character study.

Robert

Aug 23, 2012 at 07:45 PM
Alan Young
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Big Bad John

Hi Robert

Yes American Civil war re-enactments are very popular over here

Alan

Aug 23, 2012 at 08:24 PM
CDaescher
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Big Bad John

Alan, I think all those characters do a great job in playing their part.
Love the DOF and comp here and he's seriously bad.
Chris

Aug 24, 2012 at 02:51 PM
Charlie Shugart
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Big Bad John

An excellent interpretation, Alan.
Because the Civil War was the worst war my country ever had (Americans killing Americans), I'm not familiar with the little visual "clues." Is this man representing the South- or the North?
Charlie

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Alan Young
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Big Bad John

Thanks Chris and Charlie

Charlie I guess his button stands for the Confederate States of which there were eleven.

South Carolina
Mississippi
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Louisiana
Texas
Virginia
Arkansas
North Carolina
Tennessee

Alan

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:19 PM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Big Bad John

Alan Young wrote:
Thanks Chris and Charlie

Charlie I guess his button stands for the Confederate States of which there were eleven.

South Carolina
Mississippi
Florida
Alabama
Georgia
Louisiana
Texas
Virginia
Arkansas
North Carolina
Tennessee

Alan

Most of your "soldiers" are playing a little loose with their uniforms, but it was true that in the early months of the war even into the second year there was a lot of variation in uniform. There were several documented incidents of one side killing its own due to uniform confusion. It wasn't until mid-late 1862 that both sides had standardized on what we now call "blue and gray." It boggles my mind that my ancestors (on both sides) marched, maneuvered, and died in wool jackets and pants in the fetid heat of the Virginia swamps.

What's often forgotten is that until later in the war (say mid 1863), both sides employed citizen volunteers that were mostly organized as local regiments (often with truly grand uniforms) and with little training thrown into the meat grinder. Given that fire power way out stretched tactics - generals on both sides mostly thought they were fighting a "Napoleonic" war - (Infuriating how it's the generals who are the last to know what actually is going on in a war - Grant being a notable exception.) the 3/4 million combat deaths are no surprise.

Most Americans are unaware of the perhaps pivotal role Britain played in the American Civil War (or War between the States, if you prefer). The British aristocracy largely controlled England's politics and for a variety of reasons (one being that the Federal navy had virtually stopped the export of cotton to England's mills) favored the South. Lincoln's "Emancipation Proclamation - as limited as it was - put a stop to any British recognition of the Confederacy as a legal entity in part because of its long anti-slavery history (look up William Wilberforce), but in large part because the working class Brit made it absolutely clear they wouldn't tolerate anything but support for the Federal cause.

As a descendent (on both sides of my family) of men who fought in this our deadliest war, I sometimes wonder what re-enactment does for its participants. Makes for great photos, though.

Robert

Aug 24, 2012 at 08:34 PM
Chainshot
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Big Bad John

I've been a CW reenactor for 20 yrs. I've slept and reenacted on some historic battlefields - Gettysburg, Shiloh, Antietam, Andersonville, Resaca, Kennesaw, Atlanta, etc...We do strive for authenticity. My uniform is dyed with a period recipe, hand sewn, etc...We have to portray both sides to make it look like an even fight. Here in the South everyone wants to be Confed. just the opposite up North. So we all carry both uniforms and sometimes don't know which we will be wearing until the day of the reenactment. I had a gg grandfather that fought and died with a GA Confed. Inf. unit. I also relic hunt with a metal detector and have dug artillery shells, buttons, bullets, etc...I also buy and sell the relics. The 150th anniversaries have already started. The big one will be Gettysburg next year. I participated in the 135th and we had enough people to do a full-scale Pickett's Charge. It was a sight to see and experience. We do have people come over from England and Germany to participate. It is a GREAT way to escape the 21st century for a weekend and live like a soldier during the war. We recently filmed a new movie for one of the National Parks. Here is a pic of one of my pards. Feel free to ask me questions. I love that stuff.

Aug 26, 2012 at 03:02 AM
OntheRez
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Big Bad John

Chainshot,

Wonderful pix. I really love the first one. Could have come directly off of Mathew Brady's plates.

The third pix looks like you(?) doing a great Brady re-enactment.

As for the Civil War itself, much as been (and will be) said and written. I think 2 statements by Winston Churchill (an extraordinary observer of the American experience) encapsulate the travail. In the first upon hearing that Japan had bombed Pearl Harbor and the US was entering WWII, Churchill said he had his first good night's sleep in months. Asked why, he responded, "I've studied the Civil War. The Americans won't quit." The second comment came in response to questions about civil wars in general. He noted that it took Britain at least 300 years to recover from its last civil war (the Puritan revolution). He suggested that it would still be sometime before America truly recovered from its own war.

Thanks for the pictures,

Robert

Aug 27, 2012 at 07:10 PM
lazlo369
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Big Bad John

Great shot Alan of that "mean" looking guy.
My nephew got me started to go to Civil War reenactments about ten years or so ago.
He was quite young at that time and unfortunately last interest in it since ( girls).
However I stuck with it and always try to make it to the local events, notably the one in Woodbury, CT.
Some of my most favorite pictures are from the battlefields.
Here is one :
http://lazlo.us/gallery3/gallery3/d/628-2/soldier_DSC_3245.jpg

Aug 28, 2012 at 11:19 AM
Chainshot
• •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Big Bad John

Hi Robert,

Thank you for your kind words.

Churchill was quite the wordsmith and a wonderful leader during a crisis. I'm a military history nut. We have a couple of people that come around and make wet plate/tin type or glass plate images for a fee. The third pic is one of them in action. I would love to get into that too.

If you ever make it over to GA. I can show you some local battlefields. If there is an reenactment...I can loan you some gear and get you on the firing line with us

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:28 AM

FM Forums | Black & White Vision | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password