New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · File Naming Curious Behavior in 5D3

Doctorbird
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · File Naming Curious Behavior in 5D3

To be precise, here's my problem.

In the filenaming menu: I set the first 3 characters to 5D3 in User Setting 2. I registered User Setting 2. On upload to Lightroom these characters became _D3 in the filename. What am I doing wrong? No satisfactory answer here means a trip to Canon Service.

Thanks in advance.

Db.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:50 PM
kdlanejr
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · File Naming Curious Behavior in 5D3

You're not doing anything wrong. You have your colorspace set to AdobeRGB. The leading underscore in the filename indicates this. If you're shooting in raw, change your colorspace back to sRGB to get your first character back. Raw processing doesn't care about the color space setting in the camera, and if you're shooting jpegs, you're better off shooting sRGB so your jpeg colorspace doesn't have to be changed later.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:13 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · File Naming Curious Behavior in 5D3

kdlanejr wrote:
You're not doing anything wrong. You have your colorspace set to AdobeRGB. The leading underscore in the filename indicates this. If you're shooting in raw, change your colorspace back to sRGB to get your first character back. Raw processing doesn't care about the color space setting in the camera, and if you're shooting jpegs, you're better off shooting sRGB so your jpeg colorspace doesn't have to be changed later.

Wow, many thanks. I didn't notice this in the manual, or skipped over it in the color space section.

Db.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:25 AM
caisheng

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · File Naming Curious Behavior in 5D3

Lesson learned, thanks.

Aug 20, 2012 at 01:50 AM
Monito
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · File Naming Curious Behavior in 5D3

Use auto-renaming software to assign more meaningful names and to avoid clashes at the 10000 image rollover.

I use DIM 4 to download images from the card reader and automagically rename them to YYYYMMDD-hhmmss.CR2 and automatically make a copy on the backup drive simultaneously. Then I can go from any finished image or any image file in any stage of workflow to the Raw image file or to other stages.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:06 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.