Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Balloon Glow

RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Balloon Glow

3 shot Pano-Stitch covering about 165 degrees.

NOTE: The pond is triangular, so the center shoreline actually does recede.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:59 AM
Camperjim
• • •
p.1 #2 · Balloon Glow

That is a really cool and colorful image. I don't see any problem with the shape of the shoreline. The crop on the right seems a bit tight. I think I would balance that by also cropping tighter on the left side. It would create the impression of an endless string of balloons in both directions.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:43 AM
oxman

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Balloon Glow

Nice capture Rusty. looks like you opened up the sky and got some grain. hell, let it go black and we will groove on the reflections.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:00 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · Balloon Glow

Very nice, perhaps brighten just at tad? Cannot tell anything about noise (sky) on this monitor.

Regards,

Bob

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:35 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Balloon Glow

Hi Rusty. I like this a lot. I do see some grain in the sky and I sort of wish you had all or none of the right balloon.

I think you need it though because the others are too dark for balance. I guess I would keep it no matter the cut off. I would not have noticed the shore had you not mentioned it and it is of no consequence to me.

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:18 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Balloon Glow

Beautiful!
No significant noise on my good monitor and it wouldnt show in print anyhow.
Colors are great and what a scene!
More than fine as is, but the critic in me and the role of the forum is to pointedly agree: it would be ideal if you had more or none of the last balloon on the right. The brightness and size offers some balance and removing what you have, even if you cloned in the gap in the darker balloon behind, would not be wise in this image. Someone with far more skill, time and perfectionistic trends could create the rest of the balloon.
I say, leave this excellent image as is, share it widely.
Scott

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Balloon Glow

Many aspects of the4 image I like, although I wish the balloons on the right were less blurred. Perhaps they moved some during the exposure?

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:22 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Balloon Glow

Thanks all.

You've all pretty much nailed all its issues that came across to me as well. I'm guessing the blurring was poor technique on my part as I probably pressed the shutter before I came to a dead stop. It looks like the people and background tree is softer as well.

This was a tough gig because the pilots never really got "in sync" with a nice "simultaneous" glow. Out of 69 frames, this is the most simultaneous glow I could capture for the "around the pond" pano. I may play with the "let it go black" thing later (and maybe some "mix and match" hidden in black), but mostly was wondering how people liked the comp / concept. Not my finest technical shot, but it was a fun self-challenge.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:44 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Balloon Glow

Perhaps the only way to do it would be to composite the images to ensure each glows.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:11 PM
Travis Rhoads
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Balloon Glow

You could crop the blurred balloons out on the right...since they seem to distract. Looks like there is a good place for that right between the rainbow one and the red white and blue one.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:52 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Balloon Glow

Travis ... that's the same spot I was thinking @ cropping. The additional benefit of cropping there would be that it would only be a two frame stitch then ... and PS made the stitch through the middle of the rwb one ... sharp on left, blurry on right as noted by Karen's keen eye at circling 1/2 of the rwb.

Karen, yes, I was prepared for a composite ... but even @ that, there really weren't many frames that I captured multiple "full glows". It was like the pilots just weren't "into it" this time ... it was a disappointing outing in that regard. Even the crowd was rather subdued.

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:18 PM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password