Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · B&W or color or other?

HawksFan66
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · B&W or color or other?

HDR done with Photomatrix. I know it's not going to be everyone's cup of tea. Many have commented on the halo around the tree. Let me know what you think.

HawksFan66 2012

B&W

HawksFan66 2012

Color

HawksFan66 2012

Other

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:53 AM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · B&W or color or other?

Chris, glad to see you posting.

HDR is definitely a style that isn't for everyone, and I'm not well versed in it at all.

That being said, I'm partial to the B&W ... halo as noted. Without having ever even tried HDR, this one strikes me as wondering if you could do it kinda 1/2 way in HDR, then finish it selectively afterwards as a strategy to help with the heavy halo. Again, I'm HDR "challenged" (i.e. clueless), so pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:41 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · B&W or color or other?

Of the 3 images, I prefer the color. Why not try hdr with the color image? What did you do to generate such strong halos and such a garish third image? I would suggest going back and looking at your hdr settings. I often back off the strength setting to give a more natural appearance and reduce or eliminate the halos. This looks like a nice sunset and a interesting tree to help the appeal of the image. I think you need to give the post processing a bit less aggressive treatment.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:37 AM
jabennett

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · B&W or color or other?

I like the B&W

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:50 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · B&W or color or other?

I prefer #3 - different and interesting. Halo dominates (and IMO spoils) #1, #2 is nothing special without some hint of detail in tree and foreground.

My 2

Bob

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:31 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · B&W or color or other?

I always see B&W as unfinished. Just a personal quirk so ignore it and if you want, apply my comments to the B&W as they will work just as well there.

I like the middle image best. I would let the blacks go pure black and develop the rest with zero halo. In that case I would crop off almost all the black foreground, just leave enough for a base.

By the way, I heard this same advice from David Muench

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:25 PM
HawksFan66
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · B&W or color or other?

Thank you all for your input. Some very good advice. The HDR processing is new to me as well and I need to spend more time trying to fine tune it.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:23 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · B&W or color or other?

1. Nice drama. Too much ghosting/haloing around the tree as others have said.
2. Pretty, but, to me not enough going on. The purely silhouetted field leaves a large, information-free negative space. In this version I would crop about half of that area.
3. Sorry. This is why many folks dont like HDR. Some people like the intense unrealistic look it can generate and even I have like this with certain subjects. Not here. Same issue as #1 with the brightness around the trees.

Scott

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:29 PM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · B&W or color or other?

sbeme wrote:
1. Nice drama. Too much ghosting/haloing around the tree as others have said.
2. Pretty, but, to me not enough going on. The purely silhouetted field leaves a large, information-free negative space. In this version I would crop about half of that area.
3. Sorry. This is why many folks dont like HDR. Some people like the intense unrealistic look it can generate and even I have like this with certain subjects. Not here. Same issue as #1 with the brightness around the trees.

Scott

I agree... HDR is a technique that will enhance detail but can easily be over-done... Believe me, I have had my share of them...

Aug 21, 2012 at 01:11 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password