Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

  

Archive 2012 · Second body for sport activities
  
 
widbays
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Second body for sport activities


Hi...,

I currently using a 5D MKIII for all of my photography activities, and since my 9 year-old son doing a lot of sport activities (karate, soccer, and swimming), I figure I need a second body to get an extra reach. Therefore, there are 2 cameras that come to my mind, 60D and 7D. Which camera do you think would serve me well for that kind of activities?

The current lenses that I own right now are 17-40mm/F4.0L, 24-70mm/F2.8L, 70-200mm/F2.8L IS II, 40mm/F2.8 STM Pancake, 100mm/F2.8L IS Macro, TC 1.4X III, and for sports shooting, I will definitely use the 70-200 plus the TC.

Thanks.



Aug 20, 2012 at 02:16 AM
JohnBrose
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Second body for sport activities


7d is way better than the 60d for sports/action. Better focusing and higher frame rate. Also a better built body. I would just shoot with the 5d3 and crop though if I was just doing it of my child. Go and enjoy the games.


Aug 20, 2012 at 02:21 AM
NCAndy
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Second body for sport activities


How much reach do you need? I've used a 5D2 and a 70-200 2.8 with and without a 1.4x for good results. Now I have a 5D3 and will use it the same way. I have a 7D that I use for field sports, maybe that would help with soccer but I'd try what you have first.


Aug 20, 2012 at 02:29 AM
galenapass
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · Second body for sport activities


I think this question is easy - 7D.


Aug 20, 2012 at 02:29 AM
WalnutPond
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Second body for sport activities


Glass


Aug 20, 2012 at 02:32 AM
msalvetti
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Second body for sport activities


7D would be the choice - better AF, higher frame rate, big RAW buffer, and microadjustment.

But I'm not sure you need it yet - the 5DIII and the 70-200 should be fine until he gets older and starts playing on the larger soccer fields. Not sure about swimming - I guess that depends on how close you can get. The 5DIII should also have better high ISO than the 7D.

Mark



Aug 20, 2012 at 02:37 AM
surf monkey
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #7 · Second body for sport activities


Are you going to shooting two bodies together - One with a normal zoom and one with a telephoto?
or
Do you want a 2nd crop body just for the extra "reach"?

In the case of #1, I'd go with the 7D for the AF, FPS and MA.
In the case of #2, I'd go with the 100-400 lens. A crop with 70-200 + 1.4x TC gets you to 448mm equivalent, but with less MP, noisier high ISO and poorer AF than the 5D3 + 100-400.



Aug 20, 2012 at 02:52 AM
skibum5
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · Second body for sport activities


widbays wrote:
Hi...,

I currently using a 5D MKIII for all of my photography activities, and since my 9 year-old son doing a lot of sport activities (karate, soccer, and swimming), I figure I need a second body to get an extra reach. Therefore, there are 2 cameras that come to my mind, 60D and 7D. Which camera do you think would serve me well for that kind of activities?

The current lenses that I own right now are 17-40mm/F4.0L, 24-70mm/F2.8L, 70-200mm/F2.8L IS II, 40mm/F2.8 STM Pancake, 100mm/F2.8L IS Macro, TC 1.4X III, and for sports shooting, I will definitely use the 70-200 plus
...Show more

forget the 60D, crazy to use that instead of the 5D3 for sports, poor AF, no micro-focus adjustment

even the 7D has much less trustworthy AF for sports than the 5D3 although it definitely does have more reach, at age 9 though reach might not be so big a deal, maybe better to slowly invest the money in another lens, by the time he is bigger the 7D will be totally yesterday's news, maybe start to a 300 2.8 of some sort (it also works pretty well with a 1.4x TC)



Aug 20, 2012 at 08:21 AM
John_T
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Second body for sport activities


Widbays, with the 5D3 you already have the best possible solution, so instead of wasting your time and money on crop "reach", get some real reach, like a 100-400L that will reward you for years.


Aug 20, 2012 at 08:58 AM
widbays
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · Second body for sport activities


Thanks for your feedback everyone. I understand that the 5D3 is a great camera at this moment (phenomenal auto focus and high ISO capabilities). However, in spite of getting more reach, I also still figure something out, does the 6fps is enough burse rates for capturing shoots of a 9 year old boy doing some sports?

If the 6fps burse rate is enough, I will probably stick with my current equipment, and when hes getting bigger (older) I will start thinking about bigger telephoto (400mm/F2.8L or 500mm/F4.0L) or may be 1 series body or may be getting both at the same time.



Aug 20, 2012 at 11:18 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 



justruss
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · Second body for sport activities


If I was gonna get a second body for sports, I'd think about getting one of these:







As for cameras/reach: Keep the 5Dmk3, pick up something longer (70-200 or 100-400), and see what develops over the years as your son gets older/faster/stronger. Cameras will be doing the same!



Aug 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM
ggreene
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #12 · Second body for sport activities


I currently use the 70-200 IS II with 1.4x TC for field sports and it has served me well. On my 1D4 I've not seen any AF speed degradation or IQ loss, and the TC III is suppose to have better edge to edge performance for your FF 5D3.

I would wait on the 7D and see if Canon updates the 100-400. That to me would offer you more ROI then the older camera body.



Aug 20, 2012 at 01:37 PM
jerrykur
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · Second body for sport activities


widbays wrote:
Thanks for your feedback everyone. I understand that the 5D3 is a great camera at this moment (phenomenal auto focus and high ISO capabilities). However, in spite of getting more reach, I also still figure something out, does the 6fps is enough burse rates for capturing shoots of a 9 year old boy doing some sports?

If the 6fps burse rate is enough, I will probably stick with my current equipment, and when hes getting bigger (older) I will start thinking about bigger telephoto (400mm/F2.8L or 500mm/F4.0L) or may be 1 series body or may be getting both at the
...Show more

I would think 6 fps would be more than enough. But it really has more to do with knowing when the critical moment will occur since you limited number of shots at the full rate.



Aug 20, 2012 at 04:06 PM
StillFingerz
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #14 · Second body for sport activities


I shoot kids sports, mostly soccer in daylight and evening stadium lighting (with monopod). 6fps should be just fine, my 40D and 50D paired with a 70-200 and a 300 f4L IS often with a 1.4x attached work for me...I'd love a 5D3 for the enhance AF alone

Your 5D3 should be fine, as for the 7D or the 100-400L, both are due for updates, but don't hold your breath for either. The current 7D's AF has the 1st iteration of the newer faster AF on the 5D3 and 1DX.

If you want something with faster FPS or AF tracking, you might look at a used 1D series body, I see some amazing fast action shots form folks here on FM...they all use big fast glass as well.

Jerry



Aug 20, 2012 at 04:37 PM
CW100
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · Second body for sport activities


John_T wrote:
Widbays, with the 5D3 you already have the best possible solution, so instead of wasting your time and money on crop "reach", get some real reach, like a 100-400L that will reward you for years.


unless you need a second body that's the best option




Aug 21, 2012 at 10:54 AM
John_T
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #16 · Second body for sport activities


Having both, 5D3 and 7D, thinking I would use both, which one do you think lives in the cabinet?


Aug 21, 2012 at 11:06 AM
skibum5
Online
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #17 · Second body for sport activities


John_T wrote:
Having both, 5D3 and 7D, thinking I would use both, which one do you think lives in the cabinet?


7D in closet for sports
5D3 in closet for small birds
?



Aug 22, 2012 at 12:36 AM
acoll123
Offline
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · Second body for sport activities


CW100 wrote:
unless you need a second body that's the best option


+1 - get a used 300 / 2.8 (maybe non-IS, you will want a monopod anyway for sports) and put it on the 5DIII, you will be the MAN in the eyes of the soccer moms!



Aug 22, 2012 at 12:50 AM
RobertLynn
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · Second body for sport activities


While for kids sports, 6fps will be fine but if someone tells you that 6 is good for serious sports, then they aren't a paid sports photographer.

In your predicament, I would keep your 5d3, and pick up possibly a longer lens. The 300 f/4 non is can be had for $600-800, and will hold its value better than a 7d.

I've got a 7d, and even though I think it's a fantastic camera, I don't use it now that I shoot my mkivs. You put your good money into a 5d3...and let me again preface this with I think the 7d is great....down take a step back from your 5d3 to a 7d.



Aug 22, 2012 at 11:48 AM





FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password