Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 1DX Burst Rate

ragebot
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 1DX Burst Rate

I am still recovering from my trip to Mexico (left the 1dx at home cuz I was diving and only have a housing for my 7d), but one thing that confuses me is why the burst rate is 14fps for jpg and 10-12 for RAW and jpg. Since the camera captures RAW and then has to process jpg it would seem to me the burst rate for RAW would be faster.

I probably just don't have a complete understanding of how a modern dslr works, can some one explain this to me.

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:55 PM
Jase1125
• •
p.1 #2 · 1DX Burst Rate

In the case of the 1Dx, the limitations suggest the bottleneck isn't precessing raw images to jpg. It appears to be writing the data from the buffer to the memory card. Moving 14 JPGs through the buffer to the card is still a smaller amount of data than moving 12 raw images to the card. It is also worth noting it only does 14 JPGs with mirror lockup and no AF of I recall correctly. With those limitations, I wouldn't even bother although possibly useful for some and for canon marketing

Edited on Aug 19, 2012 at 07:09 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:07 PM
eyal.ma

p.1 #3 · 1DX Burst Rate

As far as I read, transferring 14 raw images to the cards will require too much bandwidth than the 1DX has to the card, while 14 jpg files are much much smaller. The dual processors are very fast, but its not about them.

If each file in raw is about 27MB, 14 FPS will require 378MB/s in perfect conditions.
Even when the camera write-ahead, it will still chock at some point when it won't empty the buffer fast enough. With 12 fps, you get 38 images. I guess with 14 you will get much less.

Even the 1000x CF cards will only give you 150MB/s, which will not be enough for the 1DX to give you 14 FPS and won't fill the buffer too much.

Once the buffer is full, you might end up with 2-2.5 seconds waiting with the buffer being cleared, which is 2-2.5 seconds you are missing shooting the action.

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:08 PM
fredmaurer
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · 1DX Burst Rate

http://youtu.be/n6qig9mtMX8

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Photon
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · 1DX Burst Rate

"Super high speed" - 14 fps - is done with the mirror locked up. Yes, it's limited to jpg, but normal high speed - 12 fps - is the same shooting raw or jpg or raw+jpg.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:22 PM
SoundHound
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · 1DX Burst Rate

Anyone have any experience with 12 fps? It seems that (eve) 12 fps is limited by certain camera settings. So 12 fps might not be possible for hi ISO low(er) shutter speed settings. So check the camera specs.

Oct 01, 2012 at 04:23 PM
RobertLynn
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 1DX Burst Rate

I think what he's saying is that doesn't the camera have to convert the raw data to jpg anyway though?

Oct 02, 2012 at 02:55 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password