New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Photon
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I have custom functions set on both 5D3 and 1DX so that the set button jumps to magnified view of the focused point (and the main dial [top] scrolls the amount of magnification up or down). At times - and I haven't discovered what's different between when this happens and when not - when the image is magnified, the thumb wheel does not change images. I have to return to ordinary review mode with the playback button before I can move to another image. At other times, the thumb wheel scrolls freely between images, each magnified at the corresponding area.

Am I missing something, or have I come upon some kind of firmware glitch? It does seem odd that I get the same behavior with both cameras. Of course, now that I'm exploring and trying to reproduce the behavior, neither camera is doing it. If any of you have noticed this, can you connect it with any particular setting or operating condition?

Edit: Binh Ly explains it in the fourth post. It's when an image has just been captured and the set/magnify button is pressed before any other that the thumb wheel doesn't work. Of course, that's often exactly the time that I would like to be able to quickly compare the latest shot to the one preceding...

Further edit: As Ron Scheffler explains on the second page of this thread, these two bodies are the first (as far as he or I know) that allow a single press to display a magnified image. In other words, without first pressing playback, one can hit the magnify button (or the set button, which can be programmed to act as magnify) and jump immediately to a magnified image (which I've chosen to be life-sized of the selected focus point). In order for the camera to be ready for an aperture change via thumb wheel, it remains, in a sense, in shooting mode even though a magnified image playback is on. Ron's "solution", which I've adopted, is to disable image review. This just means the LCD doesn't show a just-shot image for 2 seconds or more. The display button still brings it up immediately, and the set button can show a magnified section immediately, without a press of display, plus it allows immediate scrolling to other images at the same magnified area.

So, in summary, we're convinced this is normal operation, by design, and in my opinion probably a good decision by Canon.

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 09:50 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I have the set button and top dial set up the same way on the 1DX and haven't yet experienced this problem. Granted, I've only had the camera a few days, but will be sure to pay attention for this glitch, if it ever happens.

Edit: As Jess summarizes above, we've figured it out (it seems). My take on why Canon has it set up like this is in this post.

Edited on Aug 24, 2012 at 09:56 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:40 PM
rrxjon
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I've experienced this (5D3) with identical jump/scroll settings & would also like to know... wth?

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:48 PM
bin
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Lol, and here I thought it is standard behavior. It is annoying but I've grown accustomed to it.

Here is how to replicate. Take a shot and *immediately* after you take the shot and without pressing any other button, hit the set button right away. At this point you should be at magnified view (assuming you set it up) viewing the image you just took. Now start rotating that wheel and you'll notice it does not switch the image.

Now instead of doing the above (assuming you have a couple images on your card), just casually hit the set button. At this point you should be at magnified view (assuming you set it up). Now start rotating that wheel and you'll notice it switches the images fine. This also works fine if you take a picture, and then let it settle for a few seconds first before you hit the set button.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:23 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Thank you Binh Ly, I don't know why I didn't notice the timing, but you're right. Of course, when I have just taken two or three quick shots and immediately want to check focus, if the last shot didn't nail it the first thing I want to do is compare with the preceding shot or two. Sometimes even in studio portraits I'll hit the set button and quickly zoom part way out, so I can see facial expression clearly. Then if I try to immediately compare with the shot before, of course it's "frozen".

Not a big deal, and apparently normal operation. I wonder, though, if Canon could alter that without interfering with anything else. I don't see why not.

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:05 PM
rrxjon
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Ack, devils in the details! Thanks for saving my softening brain... time/unfocused wondering why?

Aug 19, 2012 at 09:30 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

rrxjon wrote:
Ack, devils in the details! Thanks for saving my softening brain... time/unfocused wondering why?

It may be tied in with the 6 second timer (actually adjustable) that controls how long exposure and other settings can be adjusted after a button press.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:34 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I can't get the problem to happen for me with the 1DX if I take a shot or two and immediately hit the Set button - I am able use the dial to scroll to other images immediately.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:43 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

rscheffler wrote:
I can't get the problem to happen for me with the 1DX if I take a shot or two and immediately hit the Set button - I am able use the dial to scroll to other images immediately.

Even when the first thing you do is magnify the image? Interesting. Mine consistently shows the "problem" behavior. Otoh, I haven't managed to make it lock up yet.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:54 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

just tried to make this happen with my 5d3 and no dice. haven't experienced it at all. have the latest fw...

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:51 AM
BryantFC

p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

And once again, I thought I was the only one that noticed this! I can confirm this "glitch" as well.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:11 AM
phdumas

p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Thanks for the info. I had noticed the same thing.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:06 PM
jillbeamer

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

I can also confirm the 'glitch' on my 5D3 (1 month old). I also posted about it at dpreview....I couldn't figure out the 'pattern' of this occurance - only that it was intermittent but regular. I noticed it happening before I had changed the SET button to preview though....and when I first made that change (at suggestion of someone on dpreview) I didn't notice it right away but I do now...and when I test the 'method' above mention by in post #4 it does reproduce the issue for me as well, but it must also occur other times unrelated to the SET button because I noticed the occurance before I made that switch.

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:11 AM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Photon wrote:
Even when the first thing you do is magnify the image? Interesting. Mine consistently shows the "problem" behavior. Otoh, I haven't managed to make it lock up yet.

Yes, hitting the set button immediately after image capture does not induce the problem. I can scroll to other images.

Regarding the lock up, set to spot or partial metering, put lens cap on, close viewfinder shutter, try to take a picture. If it still works, play back an image, then try to take a picture...

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:19 AM
glockss

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Not sure about set button, but you can replicate this every time if you do following:

Take an image, immediatly press zoom button to se latest image and voila thumb controller doesn't work to scroll in thru older images

I have sent a request/inquiry to Canon CPS a month ago, no reply
Same error observed with both 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 fw

Aug 22, 2012 at 02:51 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

rscheffler wrote:
Regarding the lock up, set to spot or partial metering, put lens cap on, close viewfinder shutter, try to take a picture. If it still works, play back an image, then try to take a picture...

When I was checking out low light AF and extreme high ISO a few weeks ago, I shot in a very dark room. With the 50/1.2 L, I focused on a clock face that I couldn't quite read with fully dark-adjusted vision. It was a little slow, but dead accurate. I have not, however, shot with lens cap on and eyepiece blind closed. I'd say "why would I ever do that?" except that even a contrived situation like that shouldn't cause the camera to lock up. As soon as I get a chance I'll try it for kicks.

Aug 22, 2012 at 03:35 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

glockss wrote:
Not sure about set button, but you can replicate this every time if you do following:

Take an image, immediatly press zoom button to se latest image and voila thumb controller doesn't work to scroll in thru older images

I have sent a request/inquiry to Canon CPS a month ago, no reply
Same error observed with both 1.1.2 and 1.1.3 fw

Tried it with the zoom button instead of the set button. Can still scroll through preceding images, no matter how quickly I hit the zoom button.

rscheffler wrote:

Photon wrote:
When I was checking out low light AF and extreme high ISO a few weeks ago, I shot in a very dark room. With the 50/1.2 L, I focused on a clock face that I couldn't quite read with fully dark-adjusted vision. It was a little slow, but dead accurate. I have not, however, shot with lens cap on and eyepiece blind closed. I'd say "why would I ever do that?" except that even a contrived situation like that shouldn't cause the camera to lock up. As soon as I get a chance I'll try it for kicks.

I agree it's a contrived situation, but in the lock-up thread, the complaints stem from those who have experienced it in a variety of real-world shooting situations. I believe one was photographing stars. But the problem was isolated and proven to be consistently repeatable by staging a controllable, contrived situation.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:29 PM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

rscheffler wrote:
Tried it with the zoom button instead of the set button. Can still scroll through preceding images, no matter how quickly I hit the zoom button.

I agree it's a contrived situation, but in the lock-up thread, the complaints stem from those who have experienced it in a variety of real-world shooting situations. I believe one was photographing stars. But the problem was isolated and proven to be consistently repeatable by staging a controllable, contrived situation.

Point taken. One person mentioned the scenario of shooting theater from a pitch dark seat and pointing the lens at the floor when checking images, which is certainly a realistic situation.

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:54 PM
Dreamliner
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Mine has the "glitch" also. If I hit the magnify button straight after a shot the quick control dial on the back "freezes" and I can't compare it to the previous shots. I have to hit the playback button instead and then the magnification button in order to make qcd work.

Aug 23, 2012 at 02:57 AM
glockss

p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 1DX/5D3 odd intermittent playback glitch explained

Dreamliner wrote:
Mine has the "glitch" also. If I hit the magnify button straight after a shot the quick control dial on the back "freezes" and I can't compare it to the previous shots. I have to hit the playback button instead and then the magnification button in order to make qcd work.

Same here, sooo.... Is there a difference in batches of 5D3 ?? That's strange, what else is different?

Or is it settings that affect these "glitch". Mine is set to 100% zoom, but i don't think it matters cause I had same problem with or without zoom levels. Have you set to display focus point during playback? I don't have camera with me (travelling with 7d)

Aug 23, 2012 at 12:27 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.