Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · I captured a rainbow angel!

MackDaddy1962
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · I captured a rainbow angel!

At a good friend's 40th birthday cookout celebration yesterday, I decided to take both D700's (70-200/2.8G VRII on one, 28/1.8G on the other.) I had these "delusions of grandeur" that I'd take a boatload of pics with both, but after shooting with the 70-200 for about and hour I was worn out. Literally. The gripped 700 with this lens is a real workout. Sadly, the 28/1.8G camera combo never made it out of the bag. Damn shame, as I know it would have been a great setup on the tripod with remote shutter release. Live and learn as they say...

Anyway, the birthday boy's older brother seems to be a rainbow angel, and I captured him with his wings out! Lol!!! I know this is lens flare from shooting into the suns path, but I really like the way this came out..

Shot aperture priority wide open at f/2.8 all afternoon with this. I'm now realizing why this lens is so expensive and heavy. It's truly a money maker. I've owned it for several months, but haven't had a chance to "get out there" and use the darn thing much.

It may be expensive, and heavy but the IQ of the images is nothing less than amazing to my eyes. Well worth the investment.

Anyway, just thought I'd share some of the images. I think they came out great, and I know that several people will want copies. I shot 14 bit uncompressed RAW, and tweaked in view NX. Saved high res JPG's, and 16 bit TIFF files too. Just in case. The TIFF files are almost 70MB each!!!! WOW!

A few more captures from the day below. Enjoy!

Jim

My lovely wife

She should be a model

The birthday boy himself, with his "angel" brother

What you looking at?

Edited on Aug 20, 2012 at 02:42 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:52 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · I captured a rainbow angel!

What is this, a blog post?

EBH

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:10 PM
KibblesNbitz
• •
p.1 #3 · I captured a rainbow angel!

^ God forbid the guy shares some images (Taken with a Nikon camera with a Nikon lens)? I'll take this type of post every time over the brick walls and test charts that usually get posted here.

Nice shots Mac, the 70-200 really is a money maker I know I love mine!

Aug 19, 2012 at 06:36 PM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #4 · I captured a rainbow angel!

EB-1 wrote:
What is this, a blog post?

I have to agree. These seem like casual snapshots with decent gear.

I simply don't get it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:06 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #5 · I captured a rainbow angel!

KibblesNbitz wrote:
^ God forbid the guy shares some images (Taken with a Nikon camera with a Nikon lens)? I'll take this type of post every time over the brick walls and test charts that usually get posted here.

Nice shots Mac, the 70-200 really is a money maker I know I love mine!

Thanks so much my friend, just thought I'd share some of my excitement from yesterdays adventure. I realize they're far from the epic, D800E captures most are enthralled with here these days, but figured some folks may get a snicker from the first shot. And appreciate as you say, "more than brick wall and test chart" photos.

And to the other two folks who "just don't get it," let me be the first to welcome you to my "officially ignored list!"

How frick'n rude.

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:33 PM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #6 · I captured a rainbow angel!

looks like yer havin' fun Mack…
enjoy!

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:59 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #7 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Thank you Bruce. Nothing like your work, but as you said, "havin' fun!"

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:08 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #8 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Glad you had fun. That's what it's all about,

Rock on

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:26 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Nice shot's. Great color and sharpness from the good old D700. The 1st pic is really cool.

I find it to be a refreshing post as I'm really getting sick of all the, "D800 AF problem" and "D800 Left Side AF" etc...

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:37 PM
Chestnut
• • •
p.1 #10 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Hey, I thought the angel wings were pretty cool... give the guy a break!

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #11 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Thanks so much all. I knew there would be some that would enjoy seeing the "angel." Ha!!!

The D700 still holdn' it's own for sure!!

Edited on Aug 19, 2012 at 10:57 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:49 PM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #12 · I captured a rainbow angel!

You know, the one pic that really blew my mind was of my friend, the birthday boy & his brother ( shot #5.) it may not be the best I could do, but the background has just the right "look" it almost looks like a fake backdrop. I love it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:55 PM
AMaji
• • • •
p.1 #13 · I captured a rainbow angel!

A Nikon user having fun and posting his photos on a Nikon forum. What is wrong with that? I actually enjoyed them because sometimes small outings/parties with friends and family tells us what life is all about.

Thank you for sharing your happy moments.

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:03 PM
brewercm
• •
p.1 #14 · I captured a rainbow angel!

I like the fact that even his shirt has wings on it. Some folks just too damn serious all the time.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:45 AM
James R
• • • •
p.1 #15 · I captured a rainbow angel!

brewercm wrote:
I like the fact that even his shirt has wings on it. Some folks just too damn serious all the time.

Not really. FM has different areas, such as Presentation and Gear. Most people on this forum also comment and display images on various forums, keeping this for gear issues. The OP can post what he likes on this forum, but, if it is snapshots every time, members will soon ignore his posts.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:32 AM
Slug69
• • •
p.1 #16 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Very rude.

If you aren't going to supply detailed constructive criticism or praise then why say anything at all.

These are some of the most eyebleedingly sharp websnaps of people I have ever seen.

You have used DOF really well and your copy of lens and camera cannot be beaten in the sharpness stakes. Good copies of both.

You chose a good time of day to shoot as well by the looks of it.

Thanks for posting.

Aug 20, 2012 at 06:22 AM
Frogfish
• • • •
p.1 #17 · I captured a rainbow angel!

As someone shortly to be new to Nikon (currently with 2xK5s but the D800 is coming to join them shortly) I found it very interesting to view these shots (would help if you numbered them Mack ) as they are showing what the camera and lens can do in 'normal' situations (as compared to a perfect shot that has taken a fair bit of preparation to achieve).

I noticed you liked #5 the best Mack - however for me it actually seemed so unnatural (as you say it looks like a fake background and the OOF rendering, especially of the specular highlights, is a little unusual) that I preferred the other shots (and yes you have a lovely wife) !

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:16 AM
James R
• • • •
p.1 #18 · I captured a rainbow angel!

Slug69 wrote:
Very rude.

If you aren't going to supply detailed constructive criticism or praise then why say anything at all.

These are some of the most eyebleedingly sharp websnaps of people I have ever seen.

You have used DOF really well and your copy of lens and camera cannot be beaten in the sharpness stakes. Good copies of both.

You chose a good time of day to shoot as well by the looks of it.

Thanks for posting.

I certainly wasn't trying to be very rude. I thought I was being honest in my reply to the previous post. If I were to comment, it would be that most of the subjects are centered and that give this set a rather static look. Obviously i can't be as effervescent about these pics as you were. Just my personal opinion worth very little if you don't agree with it.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:35 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #19 · I captured a rainbow angel!

James R wrote

I certainly wasn't trying to be very rude. I thought I was being honest in my reply to the previous post. If I were to comment, it would be that most of the subjects are centered and that give this set a rather static look. Obviously i can't be as effervescent about these pics as you were. Just my personal opinion worth very little if you don't agree with it.

While we're here I hope Mack doesn't mind a bit of constructive crit.
Block me if I offend but my intentions are certainly not offered in that spirit.

James mentions centered subjects…I noticed this also. My guess is you have "C" focus (is that how nikkon denotes it? continuous) since a few of the subjects I'm sure were moving and enjoying the barbeque. We know "C" works best with center point so it tends to center the subject like this.

Try cropping your photos a bit. Maybe a bit off the top & one side to get the subjects out of the exact middle. Later you will get better in C and won't need to crop but with todays pixel counts your can afford it

Your subjects are a bit under exposed compared to bg in a few.
Watch your metering technique or pop a tad of fill flash to bring your subject up a bit in prominence in the frame.
Don't overblast, try to blend the ambient to subject to give your main focus a bit more prominence.

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:29 AM
MackDaddy1962
• • •
p.1 #20 · I captured a rainbow angel!

All good folks, thanks for sharing thoughts. And you're right, they're fairly plain & centered in most photos... need to work on composition for sure to give a more dramatic end result.

I'm always trying to figure out center weighted vs matrix metering too. Fill flash would have helped for sure in some of them. But as the saying goes, once you're back home in the DD, you work with what you've got.

Thanks again for all the comments, I do appreciate it!

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:37 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password