New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

Archive 2012 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

Carson Wilcox
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

I never ever ship or purchase anything that ships via USPS with or without insurance. It's like dropping something into a black hole and hoping for the best.
Also in many if not all cases UPS or FEDEX is less expensive.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:48 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

The fact is that Priority Mail gets there in 2-3 days, UPS up to 6.

Boxes & envelopes sent USPS Priority Mail under 2 pounds are about a one-third the cost of UPS, and about equal in price under ten pounds.

Lost packages are estimated like this: USPS 1.2%, UPS .8%, Fed Ex .5%.

Millions of businesses world-wide use USPS. I guess if the "black hole theory" was credible they wouldn't.

If you use USPS and insure it with signature required, it will get there and the odds of delivery are equal to UPS and Fed Ex and closes the .4% gap.

I like and use all three shippers, but for regular mail I prefer USPS.

Aug 25, 2012 at 10:47 AM
Danpbphoto
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

borderlight wrote:
The fact is that Priority Mail gets there in 2-3 days, UPS up to 6.

Boxes & envelopes sent USPS Priority Mail under 2 pounds are about a one-third the cost of UPS, and about equal in price under ten pounds.

Lost packages are estimated like this: USPS 1.2%, UPS .8%, Fed Ex .5%.

Millions of businesses world-wide use USPS. I guess if the "black hole theory" was credible they wouldn't.

If you use USPS and insure it with signature required, it will get there and the odds of delivery are equal to UPS and Fed Ex and closes the
...Show more

I agree and use USPS Priority often. If you have an on line account, you can save substantial savings weighing and paying this way.
I have saved up to 55% or more sending "high dollar" items this way.

I have not had any problems so far for many years and the problems I have had, with Insurance and Delivery Confirmation, I recovered any lost costs.

Thanks "BL" for the % comparisons.

I am not saying 1 is any better than the other, just stating my shipping experiences on all my B&S items and other very large shipping items while I was in Astronomy.
Dan

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:18 AM
rankamateur
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

Danpbphoto wrote:
I agree and use USPS Priority often. If you have an on line account, you can save substantial savings weighing and paying this way.
I have saved up to 55% or more sending "high dollar" items this way.

I have not had any problems so far for many years and the problems I have had, with Insurance and Delivery Confirmation, I recovered any lost costs.

Thanks "BL" for the % comparisons.

I am not saying 1 is any better than the other, just stating my shipping experiences on all my B&S items and other very large shipping items while I was in Astronomy.
Dan

I disagree! The savings is minimal and when the value of the package gets over $700 USPS far exceeds FedEx ground prices.
Fedex Ground my Zip code in Delaware to Beverly Hills California. A one pound package. $9.89 $100 value. $500 value $13.89

USPS Priority Mail: $8.55 for $100 and $13.25 for the $500 insurance..

For this kind of savings I think I will stick with the company that actually pays an insurance claim.

Aug 28, 2012 at 09:03 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

You are comparing apples and oranges here. Package prices are based on size as well as weight. FedEx ground is just that. It gets there as fast as they can drive a truck. Priority Mail is usually two days....by air unless it is fairly local. USPS has a special rate for packages weighing 2 pounds or less. To compare apples with apples a package sent by FedEx or UPS must be priced as 2nd Day Air since Priority Mail is delivered usually in 2 days. There are flat rate Priority Mail boxes that you can pack up to the weight limit (around 10 pounds) of merchandise for one standard, low cost rate. This is unheard of at UPS and FedEx.

Insurance is usually secondary, but still an important extra fee. All three shippers base their fees per $100 of insured contents. UPS minimum is $1.80 or .90 per $100 with first $100 covered. Fed Ex minimum is $2.10 and .70 afterwards (first $100 not covered). USPS minimum is $1.75 with a flat rate of $2.25 for the first $100. The rate after that point is competitive with the other shippers.

The USPS doesn't accept large boxes like the other shippers do. On the other hand, the other shippers don't deliver to post office boxes, or to military installations to name a few. It's all about what you feel is comfortable for you and what makes the best dollar sense. One shipper doesn't have to be used to the exclusion of the others. If I was to send you a filter, it would probably go Priority Mail. If it was a $800 lens I would probably send it UPS or Fed Ex. As I said, all three major shippers have a purpose. It's just a matter of choosing the right one for the job.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:33 PM
NightOwl Cat
• • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

UPS also has a black hole. Supposedly my package from B&H is due to be delivered today, when checking status, it shows:

Parsippany, NJ, United States 08/29/2012 1:17 A.M. Arrival Scan
Maspeth, NY, United States 08/28/2012 11:44 P.M. Departure Scan
08/28/2012 7:00 P.M. Origin Scan
United States 08/28/2012 11:27 A.M. Order Processed: Ready for UPS

Bought a lens from someone, and thankfully asked them to do signature confirmation, USPS site said they attempted delivery and left a notice in my mailbox... no notice, but I printed off the page, went to the post office, and had them look for the box. I suspect that delivery was attempted at a house down the street that has one digit different in the house number, as our mail gets confused when a substitute carrier does the route. FedEx driver was surprised that I had a package that needed to be signed for, he said he normally just drops the box and runs.. I hope he meant figuratively!!

Aug 30, 2012 at 10:59 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

NightOwl Cat: B&H ships free when Super Saver is available. However it looks like your order went through USPS first then hooked up with UPS. They have an agreement that saves you money but, in the process, wastes your time. According to the B&H website it will take up to 10 business days for you to receive it. The black hole here is that two ground shippers are involved. You might as well asked for Parcel Post, allowed for a couple of days layover at a postal R&R facility, and then expect UPS to rush it to you the fastest way possible excluding, of course, by air. The whole process sucks. I've ordered that way once -- never again. Next time go UPS ground and pay for shipping.

Aug 30, 2012 at 02:13 PM
anthonysemone
• • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Shipping? Insurance or no insurance

Laura, FWIW, I've had the same experience borderlight is describing but from Adorama. Happened only once hell I could've walked up there from Philly and picked it up from them (but then I'd've had to pay a boatload of taxes from the People's Republic of NY). I now always choose from Adorama the least expensive UPS option and I always get it next day if I order before 5PM.

Hope you're well, Laura,

tony

Aug 30, 2012 at 02:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.