Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Start from Scratch?

mick5

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Start from Scratch?

Hi i used to have both systems 5dmkII and nikon d7000 and sold all my gears for some financial reason, Now i've saved enough to buy canon or nikon which one to pick?

I've rented D800 with 24-70 f/2.8 for a week and then 5d Mk III. still confused which one to pick.its just hobby i like landscape, city life and some time sports photography.
my Budget is 4000 one body and lens please help me to pick my system.

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:22 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Start from Scratch?

So, you've rented both, played with both and still can't decide?

If you ask here you'll likely get a 'buy the Nikon'.

If you ask in the Canon forum you'l get a 'buy the Canon'.

If you feel they are so close there is nothing to chose, toss a coin

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:38 PM
dj dunzie
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Start from Scratch?

Mick, you've got experience with both systems. You have fairly RECENT offerings from both brands too. You've had FF and you've had APS-C. Curious why you want OTHERS to pick what you spend your money on? You must have made some conclusions yourself as to what you liked from each camp and what would suit your needs best? You've even rented both of the latest FF cameras from each brand...

I think it's dangerous asking other people on a forum what YOU are best to spend your money on. Obviously most people on the Canon forum will have positives to say about Canon, and same goes here for the Nikon forum. Otherwise, we wouldn't be shooting what we shoot.

However, I don't think you'll have any issues with EITHER of the cameras you tested. Both are phenominal image makers. Pick the one that pushes YOUR buttons best.

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:40 PM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Start from Scratch?

I would say the canon would be a better jack of all trades camera then the D800. Do you have any idea what glass you want to add to your kit. This could sway your decision. Canon have more of a glass selection and in many cases better pricing and availability. The d800 is a wonderful cam infact arguably the best DSLR today from a image quality standpoint. Both cams are top notch you really can't go wrong. The D800 is my favorite and my goto camera for pretty much everything.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Bernie
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Start from Scratch?

What did you have before? If concerned about a learning curve, you're best off with the user interface you're already used to.

Also each manufacturer has a particular philosophy or style that they bring to the table in terms of what they put into their products and how. This is more subtle than the UI, but nonetheless important. Go with what you had before if you were a serious shooter.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:14 PM
Michaelparris
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Start from Scratch?

Are we related? I am very double minded when it comes to these decisions as well.

Do you want/need large files on your computer? Do you want to be able to recover lost info in shadow detail as well as have better overall resolution and the ability to use some WONDERFUL MF lenses? Pick the D800.

If you are not going to do a bunch of sports I would bypass the 5DMK III and get the MKII version and save half the money. If you go that route you will have a bunch of cash leftover for some pretty good lenses.

There are plenty of other pro's and con's I am sure and with a question like yours there will be plenty of opinions..

Can't go wrong with either choice....

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:16 PM
mick5

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Start from Scratch?

When i rented both my hand felt good with MkIII the only thing making me double minded is DR on MKIII not as good as on D800 otherwise i would go for MKIII. then again iam not pro.
i dont print my photos.
Thanks again for your reply

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:28 PM
davidnholtjr
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Start from Scratch?

mick5 wrote:
When i rented both my hand felt good with MkIII the only thing making me double minded is DR on MKIII not as good as on D800 otherwise i would go for MKIII. then again iam not pro.
i dont print my photos.

If your not a pro and are not going to print, then you really don't need all those MP's and I'd just get a nice used D700. It's a wonderful camera and worth a look.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:48 PM
DigMeTX
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Start from Scratch?

I don't have a D800 but you said you shoot sports and that doesn't strike me a seeing a great sports camera.

brad

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:37 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

James R
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Start from Scratch?

If I were starting over, I'd buy a D800e and an 85 1.4 G. Optional lenses would be the 24-70G or the 70-200 VRII (not sure that would fit your budget). BTW, given current prices, Nikon seems to be less expensive than Canon.

Now if you don't print your photos, go with an Oly OM-D E-M5. This is a hot camera right now in the 4/3rds market, having 16mp. The images I've seen look great. I should add that this camera isn't going to handle low light as the Nikon or Canon cameras do.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:59 PM
garydavidjones
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Start from Scratch?

Look at diglloyd.com for review of focusing problems of D800 and that

is assuming you get both sides of subject area in focus at once.

For all-around use go with 5D3 as I have. Plus Canon has a greater

variety of fun lenses to play with--8-16 zoom fisheye, superb 85 mm 1.2. etc.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:16 PM
edl415
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Start from Scratch?

davidnholtjr wrote:
If your not a pro and are not going to print, then you really don't need all those MP's and I'd just get a nice used D700. It's a wonderful camera and worth a look.

Or just buy a used D7000 for $850. Save the money for something else.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:23 PM
Dave_EP
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Start from Scratch?

mick5 wrote:
i dont print my photos.

The dynamic range of the D800 is what blows me away every time. The Canon just can't compete. OTOH, if you don't print your images then 36MP is HUGE!

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:27 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Start from Scratch?

If you've already rented the equipment, you should know which camera you prefer.

On your limited budget, I'd look at a cheaper camera (e.g., D700 or 5D II as mentioned) and put more money into glass. Camera technology will come and go, but lenses are updated only about every ten years.

EBH

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:52 PM
canondoc
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Start from Scratch?

EB-1 wrote:
If you've already rented the equipment, you should know which camera you prefer.

I seem to be agreeing with you on every post. :-P

How in the world could you not know after renting both?

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:16 PM
vchowdhary
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Start from Scratch?

I would consider getting a 5d II, used 24, 35 and 85 Ls
or a D700 with the new 1.8 28, 50, 85 lenses.

Aug 19, 2012 at 07:54 PM
mick5

p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Start from Scratch?

Thank for your replies i just ordered D800, Nikon 24-70mm, 50mm f/1.8.

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:57 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password