Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS ...

howard
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

Hi,

I've never used a macro ring lite before, but am considering getting one in the future. A cursory look indicates that this ring lite needs a "Canon Macrolite Adapter 67" to work with the 100L lens. My guess is that (looking at the specs), this ring lite is really designed for lenses with 58mm filter thread. If that is the case, then the "adapter" is really a step-down ring, does that mean it will partially block the lens front element?

Please share your experience if you have this combo.

Thanks,
Howard

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:21 PM
PaulB
• •
p.1 #2 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

That step-down adapter approach works on the 180/3.5L and that has a 72mm filter size.
I wouldn't think Canon would offer the option if it didn't work.

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:05 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

Howard, do you frequent the macro forum ? You will get loads of info over there.
But from what ive seen the twin light has a lot more fans over there (of the ones that use the dedicated macro lights )

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:09 PM
willis
• •
p.1 #4 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

No, the macro ringlite adapter doesn't obscure the front element because the front elements of the Canon macro lenses which use it are a lot smaller than the filter thread diameter. The irritating thing is that with the adapter fitted the lens cap no longer fits and no alternative is supplied (also the adapter is ludicrously over priced for a step down ring IMO).

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:07 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

That's why people prefer the twin light. I can screw in a BW filter on it and use the lens cap on the filter.

Ring lite also makes many macro subjects look floaty because there's a lack of shadow due to the light being from the direction of the lens.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:29 PM
WINN
• •
p.1 #6 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

The Ring Lite 14EX doesn't screw into the filter threads of you lens, it clips into a groove. Every Canon Macro lens has a little lip just behind the front of the lens that allows you to clip the ring lite on to it. If you don't attach anything to the front of your lens (ie. filters) prior to putting on the ring lite then you will have no problem and the flash will work directly out of the box. I am a dentist who uses a macro set-up for work and don't want to risk getting anything on the front element (saliva or other debris). I place a clear protector filter in front of the lens as a precaution. The placing of the filter won't allow the macro lens to clip into the groove provided on the lens so I had to buy an adapter ring to screw into the front of my filter to provide the ridge for the ring lite to clip on to. The macro lite adapter isn't a step-down ring just an extra ridge. I think I made this response more complicated then necessary. Remember this....no filters, no problem; adding filters...buy the adapter.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:35 PM
WINN
• •
p.1 #7 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

The use of either the twin light or the ring light depends upon what you are photographing. The term ring light is a misnomer because this piece of equipment is actually two separate flash tubes. You can vary the power to each tube so that one side will be more bright then the other. If you fire the flash tubes with equal intensity you will get a flat, even light. If you fire with unequal intensity or turn off one tube completely then...shadows. The twin light is a huge piece of kit that provides a lot more light and, because you can adjust the position of each head, allows you to vary the shadowing even more. When the time comes why not try to rent each of them and then decide what fits your needs the best?

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:55 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

All I can say is, there's a reason why most people prefer the twin light over the ringlite for macro, including myself. Way more flexible though it comes with its own problem, ie. harsh light that needs to be diffused.

That said, I know ringlite is the preferred flash for dental photography.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:13 PM
GC5
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

I have on B/S with the 67mm adapter. It's a nice flash. The twin light is more flexible (and much more expensive).

Edited on Aug 19, 2012 at 05:32 PM · View previous versions

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:17 PM
willis
• •
p.1 #10 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

WINN wrote:
The Ring Lite 14EX doesn't screw into the filter threads of you lens, it clips into a groove. Every Canon Macro lens has a little lip just behind the front of the lens that allows you to clip the ring lite on to it. If you don't attach anything to the front of your lens (ie. filters) prior to putting on the ring lite then you will have no problem and the flash will work directly out of the box. I am a dentist who uses a macro set-up for work and don't want to risk getting anything on the
...Show more

The 100L has a 67mm filter thread as opposed to a 58mm on the original 100mm macros. The MR-14EX and MT-24EX only clip directly onto the older lenses. The 100L requires the adapter ring which screws into the 67mm filter threads to provide a suitably sized groove for clip-on attachment of these macro flashes.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:27 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

n0b0 wrote:
All I can say is, there's a reason why most people prefer the twin light over the ringlite for macro, including myself. Way more flexible though it comes with its own problem, ie. harsh light that needs to be diffused.

That said, I know ringlite is the preferred flash for dental photography.

One thing about the twin lights is that they are so far out that if you need to channel light into, say, a flower tube, it doesn't work so well and the ring flash works great.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:07 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

The ring light does some things the twin light can't, but you can usually rig something to duplicate the twin light if you are willing to put some work in (i.e., see the Macro board).

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:10 AM
TheBearman
• •
p.1 #13 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

willis wrote:
No, the macro ringlite adapter doesn't obscure the front element because the front elements of the Canon macro lenses which use it are a lot smaller than the filter thread diameter. The irritating thing is that with the adapter fitted the lens cap no longer fits and no alternative is supplied (also the adapter is ludicrously over priced for a step down ring IMO).

Agree on the price. As for the cap, I picked up a 58mm cap to use when I had this attached. I've sense moved on to the 24ex with a bracket set.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:29 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

GC5 wrote:
The ring light does some things the twin light can't, but you can usually rig something to duplicate the twin light if you are willing to put some work in (i.e., see the Macro board).

You got that the other way around.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:33 AM
howard
• •
p.1 #15 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

Thank you all for the answers/suggestions; looks like I need to do more homework before committing my $$$

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:57 AM
Doctorbird
• • •
p.1 #16 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

My setup:

100 mm IS + filter + Macrolite adapter 67 + inexpensive after market 58mm inner pinch lens cap from Fotodiox, in that order.

Another curious Canon blunder - not designing the front end of the new lens to be back compatible with the ring light. Unless the ring lights are due for upgrades - possibly to radio for flash mastering.

Db

Aug 20, 2012 at 01:17 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

Doctorbird wrote:
My setup:

100 mm IS + filter + Macrolite adapter 67 + inexpensive after market 58mm inner pinch lens cap from Fotodiox, in that order.

Another curious Canon blunder - not designing the front end of the new lens to be back compatible with the ring light. Unless the ring lights are due for upgrades - possibly to radio for flash mastering.

Db

But then it'll be another blunder because if there's a new ringlite that fits the new macro lens, people with the old lenses are the ones who'd have to buy an adaptor... Unless the old lenses are also due for upgrades.

Aug 20, 2012 at 01:27 AM
GC5
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

With IS you don't need flash

Aug 20, 2012 at 11:49 AM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #19 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

WINN wrote:
...Every Canon Macro lens has a little lip just behind the front of the lens that allows you to clip the ring lite on to it.

You're a bit behind the times. The 100L IS USM Macro -- the lens the OP specifical cites -- doesn't have the same design as the older Macro lenses. Rather it is designed like regular L-series lenses with respect to the mounting setup, as is the 180L USM Macro.

http://www.dpreview.com/lensreviews/canon_100_2p8_is_usm_c16/2

Aug 20, 2012 at 08:15 PM
WINN
• •
p.1 #20 · Does the Canon MT-14EX Macro Ring Lite work with 100L IS Macro?

Dang!!! I thought that the grooves where the lens hood attaches were the connecting sites for the ring lite. Oh well, lots of good information here. Good luck with your decision.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password