Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

mbrakes

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

Hi, I'm considering a new camera purchase - I already have the 5Dmk3 and trying to decide between another one vs. the 1Dx. I'm not a sports shooter, but occasionally shoot action in/outside the studio, where faster tethering is wanted.

IF the gigabit tethering actually works with the 1Dx on the Mac platform, then that would weigh heavily in favour of the 1Dx.

So I'd really welcome some real-world experience from pro's that have put the camera through it's paces, as the little info and reviews I have found on the 'net so far makes me none the wiser regarding real-world tethering abilities.

I'm primarily interested in cabled ethernet tethering as I expect that to be the fastest, but would be interesting to hear if anybody have had success getting good transfer rates using the new wi-fi transmitter as well.

I am a RAW shooter, but if it's possible to set up a "proxy" workflow whereby jpgs are sent to the client/AD's machine while the RAWs are written to the card, then that would serve my purpose equally well.

Advance thanks if you care to share!

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:47 PM
Mwindley

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

I do not think it works for Mac yet.
On windows it works well, it has the capability you want to have jpeg to FTP and raw to stay. Read Canon WFTLAN manual to confirm for yourself.
Expect to be disappointed for speed. For me it is USB 2.0 type speed only 16 Mb/s max. See Link for more info.

Step up on pc was a hassle. PC firewall treated connection as unknown so prevented it, was hard to problem solve.

Great camera, files eventually go thru so no major issue for me.
Maurice

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:55 PM
mbrakes

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

Thanks a lot Maurice - good to hear some real-world experience.

So if I understand you correctly, the gigabit ethernet connection on its own is no reason to choose the 1DX over the 5D3 then?

Aug 19, 2012 at 02:45 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

I have used the ethernet tethering on the bootcamp side of my macbook pro, works great, and is very fast. I don't have the WiFi adapter but I'm sure it would be almost as fast. If I did studio work I'd get the WiFi adapter.

Aug 19, 2012 at 03:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Mwindley

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

no problem "mbrakes".

Fast to me is 60, 90, 130 mb/s, the speeds of my cards and the potential of some connection methods USB 3.0 and Ethernet.

The 1DX does not seem fast to me when I average 6 to 16 +.

Is it a reason not to buy?, certain ally not. It does work and is clever to do so.

The reasons to buy 1Dx and a lot, for it it feels great makes me feel good #1.
I could have a better car if i did not spend my money on cameras, my car would not be best practice and I am a better photographer than I am a driver, no speeding tickets either!.

Enjoy whatever you buy and remember what somebody said "gear is good, talent is better"

Maurice

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:20 AM
brucemuir
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

well we can always hold our breath for "Thunderbolt" tethering.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:45 AM
mbrakes

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canon 1Dx owners: Gigabit ethernet tethering on a Mac?

Thanks all!

Doesn't seem like there's enough justification in the 1DX for me to buy over the 5Dmark3 then - even though I have no doubts about the 1DX being a terrific camera. I've had several 1-series cameras before and know well what they are. But without faster data transfer, then the extra resolution of the 5Dmark3 is more important to me than weather sealing and better build. The AF of the 5 is already so good for my purposes that I really can't say I miss anything in that department. I think I will rather save my money for the next high-MP camera from Canon, the true successor to the 1DsIII.

I really hope Canon will soon realise that tethering isn't something they can afford to just bolt on as an afterthought and implement badly, I simply won't plunk down money for another 1-series camera unless it has some serious pro-level data connection. I think it's quite ridiculous in 2012 to produce professional cameras that can't properly support any of the hi-speed data connection interfaces, be it FW800, USB3, gigabit ethernet or Thunderbolt. Hopefully they will rectify that in their next professional hi-MP studio camera.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:55 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password