Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

rimmit
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

I'm heading to Ireland and going to the Ring of Dingle, Cliffs of Moher, the Burren, Giant's Causeway and Dublin to watch the Notre Dame vs Navy game (Go Irish!!), then heading to London for several days.

I'm bringing a 5d Mk III as my body and have the following lenses 16-35mm f/2.8, 24-105mm f/4 IS, 35mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.8, and 70-200mm f/2.8 IS MK II. Which two lenses if you could only bring two would you bring?

I was thinking 16-35mm f/2.8 and 24-105mm f/4? Potentially adding in the 35mm f/1.4 if I have space for indoor shots. Think I need the 35mm f/1.4 or could I drop it.

Any suggestions?

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:33 AM
vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

For sure the 24-105, and I would go with the 70-200 II for more reach and speed on the Notre Dame/Navy game.

Aug 19, 2012 at 01:51 AM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Take the 16-35 and the 70-200. But ...

... throw a 50 f/1.8 into a pocket. You can always make room for a lens as small and light and inexpensive as the Nifty Fifty. And probably even room for a 2x or 1.4x tele-extender.

Always get capability ahead of other features. Focal length range or coverage is the primary feature of a set (pair) of lenses. The zooms cover a very useful range. The 50 fills the hole. Modern cameras like the 5D3 have such high useful ISO that fast lenses are less needed, except for razor thin DoF fetishes which have much less applicability to travel or sports photography. So the zooms are fast enough.

Aug 19, 2012 at 03:46 AM
UnknownSouljer

p.1 #4 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

I agree with Monito. Out of the selection you have, and only taking two, I'd do the 16-35 and the 70-200. If you did a third, I'd take the 24-105 just to have the entire range covered.

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:14 AM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #5 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

If you are going to the game with strong intentions to shoot it, take the 70-200. Otherwise it is a heavy lens to be hauling around and you will end up leaving it at the hotel room.

You will be much better served by the 16-35 and the 24-105. And you will be more comfortable.

If you want your back to be really comfy, take the 24-105 and the 35 and call it a day.

My opinion of course.

Aug 19, 2012 at 09:43 AM
rimmit
• •
p.1 #6 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

I dont plan on shooting the game. My seats are too far up. I dont think the difference b/t 105 and 200mm and the distance i am at will make it worth it to bring it. I think 16-35 and 24-105.. The 35 doesnt take too much space so i might bring it as well. Leave the 70-200 and 85 at home.

Aug 19, 2012 at 03:35 PM
arbitrage
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

I would go with the 24-105 and then either the 70-200 or 16-35. I just returned from Europe and was in Switzerland and Italy primarily. With the high heat in Italy, I started to minimize what I took along each day and eventually only took the 24-105 on the 5D3. I had along the 17-40, 100-400 and 40 pancake also but the 24-105 was all I really needed.

I'm sure your weather will be a little bit more tolerable and therefore lugging around a couple lenses won't be as big of a deal. Personally, I like shooting with a telephoto like the 70-200 or my 100-400 for landscapes in certain situations more than I like going really wide with the 17-40 (or 16-35) but it depends what you like to shoot.

If you will be indoors a lot and want pictures at those times then you might want one of your primes but I found the f/2.8 on my 40 pancake to be sufficient for indoor light with the good high iso of the 5D3. Therefore you could probably just use the 16-35 indoors and not need to pack a 3rd lens.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:01 PM
EugeQ

p.1 #8 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Hi Rimmit,
Bring a raincoat!. The wettest Irish summer in years . If I were you I would take the 24-105, the 70-200 and a 50mm f1.8. If you have a Canon 500D close up lens
Canon 500D close-up lens
The reason I'd get the 500D is that the Burren is renowned for it's flora and fauna and the close up will give a quick macro ability on the 70-200.
You will be doing the "Ring of Kerry". Dingle is a nice little town on the "Ring" lots of colourful houses. Again the 70-200 will give great compression for these type of house shots. Great pub music sessions in and around Dingle the 24-105 IS will be useful for candid shots in low light inside pubs.
The cliffs of Mohar, great views. When you are in the area check out Doolin, small little village but a great place for lunch. If you are heading from the Burren to The Giants Causeway stop of at Galway. A great city full of characters and a slice of life that is different than Dublin.
I love the Giants Causeway, the rock formations are unique, Remember you are now in Northern Ireland so you will be using sterling rather than euro, so make sure you have a few quid (pounds) in your back pocket. If you have time do the "Bushmills" distillery tour. Go to the Carrig a Rede rope bridge and if y ou can, get a few shots of Dunluce Castle. While you are heading from The Giants Causeway to Dublin why not try and stop of in Belfast, do the open top bus tour or a Black taxi tour and check out the wall murals from the "Troubles".
Dublin, the wprld is your oyster, Guinness Hop store, Grafton street for candid shots. The Hal'penny bridge, Moore street (fruit vendors, mainly old ladies who will only be happy to pose for an American)
Hope this helps
Euge

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:52 PM
rimmit
• •
p.1 #9 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

EugeQ

You don't think I need at 16-35mm wide angle? With the amazing landscapes of ireland I figured that would be one of the most recommended lenses.

We will be staying in Doolin overnight, and hope to stop by a pub to hear some irish music as I hear that is one of the best towns for traditional music. Any pubs you recommend in particular.

We will not be doing the "ring of Kerry", just the dingle peninsula. Most everybody I talked to that has been to kerry and dingle, said go with dingle, so we chose that instead.

We will be doing the rope bridge as well and stopping by Dunluce castle.

Aug 20, 2012 at 02:55 PM
EugeQ

p.1 #10 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

rimmit,
I was in Doolin last year. McGanns or McDermotts are good pubs with good music. I agree with you, the Dingle peninsula is fantastic. Take in the Connor pass for great views. On the lens front I find the 24-105 to be a great lens especially on FF. I have the 17-40 f4 and I find it too wide, but that is probaly my shooting style, YMMV.
Enjoy the vacation, if I can do anything for you give me a shout eugenequigleyateircom.net

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:44 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #11 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Have wanted to go there myself. Enjoy your trip. Post some photos when you get back!

Id try to take them all though U could get by with 24-105 and 16-35. If forced Id rather have 16-35 than 24-105. You never know what you'll need. The 85/1.8 least needed 70-200, 24-105 have is. Fast apertures useful indoors definitely take 35.

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:46 PM
dmcharg
• • •
p.1 #12 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

5DMKIII + 24-105 would be my first choice. I think your second lens will depend on how you shoot ? do you prefer wide angle shots or more telephoto ? that should help you decide between the 16-35 or 70-200. For travel i find a 2 lens setup is the way to go and if you can handle the size/weight the 70-200 would by my choice.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:01 PM
rimmit
• •
p.1 #13 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Thanks for everyone's help! I really appreciate it!

I think I will go with the 24-105mm f/4 and 16-35 f/2.8 and maybe the 35mm for some indoor shots.

I was gonng go 16-35mm and 70-200 but I think I would miss the midrange lengths and find myself stuck in between quite a bit. Plus from previous experiences travelling, more often than not the 70-200mm stays in the bag just due to size, weight, and my overall paranoia that I will get mugged carrying around a "great white whale."

We plan to do the connor pass. Did you find the roads terribly harrowing? I am from eastern Kentucky with lots of windy backroads, so I'm somewhat used to it, just not used to driving on the opposite side of the road.

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:50 PM
thedruid
• • •
p.1 #14 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Good info from EugeQ...I shoot for a week in Mayo on Clew Bay and Achill last year, I had for FF 17-35/24-120VR and 70-300VR. 95% of the week was shot with the 24-120...so I'd say the 24-105L would do the job. Check out the Millenium bridge/ Dublin at dusk (there's a shot in my Ireland galley on my web). I never travel without my 17-35 though as I have wide angle eyes.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:08 PM
Monito
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

rimmit wrote:
more often than not the 70-200mm stays in the bag just due to size, weight, and my overall paranoia that I will get mugged carrying around a "great white whale."

If your 70-200 gets robbed, it's only money, and it is replaceable. If you don't bring it, you'll never get the pictures you can make with it, and those pictures are irreplaceable. How likely are you to be there again? Even if you get to each spot again, things will change, the light will be different, it might rain in places where it was sunny, etc.

Take the 70-200 and tough it out with the weight. I can hike 18 miles in a warm day with a pack full of lenses and a tripod. You'll be driving. I'm not young, not as young as I used to be or would like to be. You are probably younger.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:11 PM
EugeQ

p.1 #16 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

rimmit when I'm driving in the USA I swap my watch to the opposite wrist and put my wedding ring on my other hand. It helps me "remember" I'm driving on the "wrong" siee of the road The roads round Dingle can be twisty, just take your time and enjoy it all. I'm from the NE of Ireland so like you Kerry, Clare, Galway etc are some of my holiday vacations.
If you are at the Giants Causway and heading to Ballycastle, see if you can go through a little village called Armoy. Just outside it is a great photo opportunity. It's not in the guide books but check out the link. It's called The Dark Hedges

One thing to consider with the 70-200, use it it in portrait orientation and do a couple of stitched panos

Aug 20, 2012 at 06:51 PM
AaronNegro
• • •
p.1 #17 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Just bring a lens weather sealed. It's Ireland baby...

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:21 PM
AmbientMike
• • •
p.1 #18 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

Throw what you're not using in the trunk.

Monito +1 except oldness He might leave me after 10 miles

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:26 PM
gregwass

p.1 #19 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

I went to Ireland a few months ago and agree you should go for the 16-35 and 24-105. Not much need for the 70-200 and you definitely want the wide angle.

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:44 PM
Guari
• • •
p.1 #20 · Ireland and London Lenses (Pick Two)

I know i chimed in earlier. Anyhow, I live in Scotland. I had a 70-200 and I sold it as I was using the lens too little. This is short tele to wideangle-land.

Hope you enjoy the trip!

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:54 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password