Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

Archive 2012 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

langdoy
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Going on a family vacation so it will be lots of beach, touring, and normal stuff. Golfing in Maui as well. Question is, I'm only going to bring two lenses, which two do I bring (paired with Mark 3)? I will be in Waikiki and Wailea. Will not purposely be looking to shoot anything specific but would like to be prepared.

Choices:
24L II
35L
50 1.4
135L
70-200L 2.8 (non-IS)

I was thinking 24ii and 70-200.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:10 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

24LII and 50/1.4.

Personally, I don't like to travel with anything expensive that I'd regret being lost, damaged or stolen. Outside of assignments requiring flying, I travel with my expensive gear only when I can be in charge of it, mostly car trips. So, M4/3 body with a couple decent zoom lenses would be the best fit.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:33 PM
randyp01
• •
p.1 #3 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

How often will you be shooting? If it were me, I'd choose the 35 and 135. I'm more about lens speed then convenience and I feel the 24 is too wide for portraits (unless you crop your images, which I rarely ever do) and the 50 is too tight (especially if you're trying to grab a quick shot at a location that has a nice background). The 70-200 is very convenient as far as FL variation but I don't like that it's heavy. I'll end up leaving it in the bag more often than not because of that. So that's my reasoning for 35 + 135.

Enjoy!

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:35 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

On a family trip I carry a 5d2 and 24-105L. I know that wasn't in your list of options but it covers a good range and is pretty small and light. Given your choices I'd take the 24 and 135? If you don't mind the weight take the zoom instead of the 135 IMO.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:41 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

I think your choice is bang on. 24 for landscapes and 70-200 for everything else.

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:29 PM
Russ Isabella
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

I agree with the 70-200 choice, but I'd rather have a 16-35 than 24 prime--wider and more versatile. Actually, I'd be bringing the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. I find it kind of hard to "not purposely be looking to shoot anything specific but would like to be prepared." I'd either leave the gear home or be prepared to cover the gamut. I find the middle ground to be somewhat frustrating. Particularly if I was going to Hawaii, where I've never been, but have reason to believe would be a photographer's paradise.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:09 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #7 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

35 and 135 for me. Strokes for folks; love the 35 and 135 iq and perspective and the min fd on the 135 is an added bonus, as is the relative size compared to the zoom. What I brought to HI a few years back, however, I also had the 15fe in the bag. I used the 35 about 7 to 1 v the fe on the trip.
I am admitted fan of the ap speed and iq of the fixed vocals, yet do appreciate the convenience of a good zoom.

Btw; have a great trip; beautiful place!

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:16 PM
rolette
• •
p.1 #8 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Russ Isabella wrote:
Particularly if I was going to Hawaii, where I've never been, but have reason to believe would be a photographer's paradise.

Going out on a limb there, Russ?

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:37 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Russ Isabella wrote:
I agree with the 70-200 choice, but I'd rather have a 16-35 than 24 prime--wider and more versatile. Actually, I'd be bringing the 16-35, 24-70 and 70-200. I find it kind of hard to "not purposely be looking to shoot anything specific but would like to be prepared." I'd either leave the gear home or be prepared to cover the gamut. I find the middle ground to be somewhat frustrating. Particularly if I was going to Hawaii, where I've never been, but have reason to believe would be a photographer's paradise.

All thst is great, but the OP does not have a 16-35 or a 24-70. He does have the 24 prime...which is what I suggested.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:48 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #10 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

24L II and 50L for me. I don't think of a 70-200/2.8L as a traveling lens. Too heavy.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

alfarmer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

70-200 & 24, easy

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:14 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Kinda torn between the 24 and 35 on the wide end, but the 70-200 is a definite...wider would be best me thinks as it's possible to fix any distortion in post, so like a few others, the 24 and 70-200! I'd probably sneak the 50 in a pocket tho

Jerry

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:47 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Not the best choices. I'd take a 24-105 and 70-200/4 IS.

EBH

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:50 PM
rxgolf
• • •
p.1 #14 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

70-200 for sure, and probably 24II. I know it is a pain, but I never shoot a wide without a tripod, and I would have to take a wide to Hawaii, and that means I would be carrying a tripod too!
Have a great trip!!
Greg

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:04 PM
Mike Mahoney
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Pick two? .. margaritas and a P&S

Family vacation with a 70-200? .. you'd be nuts.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
chez
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

Mike Mahoney wrote:
Pick two? .. margaritas and a P&S

Family vacation with a 70-200? .. you'd be nuts.

Why? I always take my gear and sneak out early while everyone is still sleeping. We also go down to beaches to watch the sunset where I grab some great shots. I have wonderful photo books made of our family vacations and the entire family loves them. I could not get the same quality photos with a P&S, that's for sure.

Here's a few I got from my last Kauai trip.

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1053682/0#10012589

Harry

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:37 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

chez wrote:
Why? I always take my gear and sneak out early while everyone is still sleeping.

I do the same thing. Not only do you get the sweet light but can work with zero distractions. Most of my best pics come from early mornings. The rest of the day is a wash.

One thing about Hawaii is the days are short compared to where you northern folk live, so morning sweet light isn't really that early. Sunsets/sunrise and twilight are really short compared to northern latitudes so work fast and plan ahead if it's something important. Finally, don't leave anything of value in rental cars when parked. Not even for a few minutes.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM
UnknownSouljer

p.1 #18 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

I would probably do either the 24/135 or 24/70-200. It depends on if you like the convenience of the zoom, or the speed/weight of the prime.

I'm very different than you in general philosophy however. I carry my gear in a backpack and just take it all everywhere. I have the gear so I can use it, not leave it at home (keep in mind that's just my philosophy, obviously there are other schools of thought.)

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:14 AM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

24 and 70-200. I did something similar on a cruise, pics came out great.

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:33 PM
jcbenner
• • •
p.1 #20 · Packing for Hawaii...pick two

chez wrote:
I think your choice is bang on. 24 for landscapes and 70-200 for everything else.

+1

Having just returned from Hawaii, I could not agree more.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:25 PM
       2       3       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password