Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Security cable for camera case

capt don
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Security cable for camera case

I'm looking for a security cable for my pelican case, so when it's in my car I can secure it to the seat frame. If you can slow someone down for a bit they will usually pass on to an easier object to steal. Thanks

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:36 PM
Carson Wilcox
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Security cable for camera case

I picked up one from my local Lowes. It has a combo lock on the cable. It's a steel cable covered in plastic. Works quite well.

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:14 PM
wilt
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Security cable for camera case

You could also look for a luggage security cable with an integrated motion alarm that triggers if the lock is moved in any way and the code is not entered within a certain period of crime...noise also helps to deter theft, since it attracts the attention of others.

Aug 18, 2012 at 04:42 PM
Rodney O
• • •
p.1 #4 · Security cable for camera case

OP,
Take a look at the Pacsafe.com site. They have a variety of items for camera, camera bag ans back pack security. They also have cables, and mesh covers with cables for securing larger items like perhaps you Pelican case.

Pacsafe products
I have used their camera straps & bag straps for travel when in some of the less safe countries & cities. The straps have steel thread in them to prevent slash & grab theft. And their bags also incorporate the same technique.

But in your car the best security is to park in the shade and have a big dog "watch" your stuff. Baring that If it's too hot etc., your best bet is to keep your gear from being seen easily. And not to spend anytime changing equipment where people around can see what you have in there.

hth
Rodney

Aug 19, 2012 at 04:40 AM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Security cable for camera case

Pacsafe cable + good quality diagonal pliers = gone.

not a real deterent to someone who is going to do invasive work

substantially better:
http://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-8156DPS-Security-U-Lock/dp/B000B69HZM

this requires a little more work unless the individual is well prepared

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:58 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Roland W
• • •
p.1 #6 · Security cable for camera case

I would look for a heavier cable than most of the luggage type security. The cables used for bicycles will need a bigger cutter and a little bit more time to cut through. Either get one with an integrated combo lock on one end like sjms suggested, or get a cable with loops on each end and then get a good standard size combination lock or key lock that will fit through the locking hole on the Pelican case. And if you want some "extra", you can actually put two cables on one Pelican case, because they have two locking holes.

Of course any cable only slows someone down. The first level of protection is out of view, like in a trunk or hidden under a roll out cover in an SUV. If things are in view but covered by clothing or stuff, they are still attractive, and your mention of locking to a seat frame may end up in that situation. If there is a trunk, it is a much better place, and you can still lock the case in to the car back there. Also, no matter how or where you are securing things, make sure you adjust your gear so that you can have things all in place and secure before you arrive at your destination. You do not want to “expose” your gear to view as when you arrive as you select what you need before you leave the car, because you may be observed, and then you are a well known sure thing target. And some form of car alarm may help a little, depending on how many people are around at a given location.

Aug 28, 2012 at 01:58 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · Security cable for camera case

I use a Pacsafe 55L bag protector. It won't defeat a thief with a plan and some tools, but it will prevent the simple grab & dash.

Aug 28, 2012 at 02:51 PM
sjms
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Security cable for camera case

yeah just like my foot through my should strap when sitting . i hope they can run fast with the added weight because it will slow them down a bit

Aug 28, 2012 at 03:10 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Security cable for camera case

Aug 29, 2012 at 09:28 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password