Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon...

Smridevan
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon flash

I'm using the radiopopper JRx transmitter on my Nikon camera (D90 and D800) to trigger a TTL Canon flash attached to an RPcube and JRx receiver.

Two questions:

1) Does this setup maintain TTL when firing the flash? I mean will the flash automatically change its power output compensate for aperture and ISO settings on my camera?

2) If answer to Q1 is yes, why would I need to adjust the power using the knobs on the transmitter if the flash is in TTL mode which already automatically adjusts the power output based on my camera's aperture and ISO? Even for Nikon flash, why would I need to adjust the power in TTL mode, or is the knob on the transmitter only for manual mode flash?

Appreciate your help.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:33 PM
saelee
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon flash

You set the flash in TTL mode but the flash is not really TTL. The flash itself does not meter anything. You still need to manually control how much power you want output with the knob on the transmitter.

Aug 19, 2012 at 05:46 AM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon flash

Oh...I guess that makes sense now. So even though the flash is set in TTL mode, it's not really functioning in TTL mode but rather like manual mode. Kind of off topic but does the pocketwizard flex tt5 allow you to have the full TTL functionally like Nikon's CLS system? Thanks!

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:55 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

kenyee
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon flash

Smridevan wrote:
does the pocketwizard flex tt5 allow you to have the full TTL functionally like Nikon's CLS system? Thanks!

Yes, if you buy relatively new flashes that support the current i/e-TTL system, but those flashes are expensive...at probably $200-300 each.

The point of the RP JrX is remote *manual* control of inexpensive $100 flashes....used Nikon SB28 flashes were the best bang for the buck.

Aug 20, 2012 at 03:15 PM
Smridevan
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon flash

Thanks! Too bad the JRx can't remotely control the power on the Yongnou flashes. You can get dumb triggers for really cheap but TTL is what I want.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:13 AM
sic0048
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Radiopopper JRx TTL compatibility with Nikon camera Canon flash

If you want real, full TTL control of the flashes, there are really only three systems available today: The Pocket Wizard Flex/Mini, The Radio Popper PX system (there is an older system too that the PX system replaced), and the Phottix Oden system.

I just purchased the Phottix Oden system and have nothing but positive things to say about it. It also happens to be the cheapest of the three systems available today.

Aug 21, 2012 at 12:51 AM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password