Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

Trying to decide which, if any, lens to sell: Nikkor f1.4 50mm or f1.8 85mm. Dx bodies (D2x & D7000). 50mm is also covered by Nikkor f 2.8G 17-55mm (lens new to me); 85mm by Nikkor f2.8 80-200mm (which I often use). Keeping both is an option (and momentary luxury).

At the moment I take mostly candids and a touch of some street images.

Sample from 85mm...

You cannot confuse me more than I already am

Thanks,

Bob

NIKON D7000    85mm    f/7.1    1/200s    500 ISO    -0.3 EV  

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:30 PM
sbeme
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

Not familiar with the Nikon line-up, but I have held onto my Canon 50 1.4 for the low-light capability and for shooting close to wide open . The Canon needs to be stopped down to 2.0 or a tad more.
Its a similar situation to mine, although you are a bit better covered. I have a 24-105 that overlaps the range. However, it is f4.

Conversion looks nice but the crop doesnt do much for me. I dont like both the cut off left side and background space on the right. Maybe a tighter, more centered square crop with greater burning of the background?

Scott

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:52 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

Hi Bob, a Canon landscaper will not be very helpful to you, but I am going through a similar process.

After 2 years of an all prime line up, I want to add a zoom in the 24-70 range where I find primes limiting for composition. But I am mostly just adding.

The flower looks sharp.

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:06 PM
RustyBug
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

Hey Bob,

From those options, the the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8 represent your "low light" options. The difference between 1.4 & 1.8 is less than 1 stop, so I'd be losing the 50/1.4 ... particularly since your 85 will be more useful @ candids than your 50 would be. Obviously, your zoom FL covers the 50, so no loss there.

17-55/2.8
85/1.8
80-200/2.8

Between the combination of ISO & PP options, this combination of glass should be a kit that will handle a tremendous amount of scenarios for a very, very long time as a nice "general purpose" kit.

My .02 has always been that "glass rules" ... the camera is just a hole (well that used to be the case in film days) .

Given your adept PP skills and processing tastes, NO CAMERA will be able to sooc produce what you like. So, if you've got decisions to make, let the glass rule over your camera. You'll take your important pics into PP no matter which body you're shooting with, and snaps will always be snaps, so no biggie. Your glass has more impact on what is projected, than the camera does at what is captured. Granted, sensor technology is always on the march ... but it isn't (imo) as radical an improvement as OEM Marketing would like us to believe. Most of those improvements are in the software/processing algorithms being built into the camera (which can be handled in PP anyway) rather than gains in sensors themselves.

Future bodies will drive (current) body prices down (last year's Cadillac), whereas good glass always goes up in price (secondary used market follows new price hikes). Hang on to your good glass, ditch a body if need be ... there'll always be another new technology body year after year after year to choose from again.

Glass Rules.

Now ... ask me what I really think.

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:26 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

RustyBug wrote:
Hey Bob,

From those options, the the 50/1.4 and the 85/1.8 represent your "low light" options. The difference between 1.4 & 1.8 is less than 1 stop, so I'd be losing the 50/1.4 ... particularly since your 85 will be more useful @ candids than your 50 would be. Obviously, your zoom FL covers the 50, so no loss there.

17-55/2.8
85/1.8
80-200/2.8

Between the combination of ISO & PP options, this combination of glass should be a kit that will handle a tremendous amount of scenarios for a very, very long time as a nice "general purpose" kit.

My .02 has always been that "glass
...Show more

+1

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:41 PM
AuntiPode
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

What the two lenses will give you that the zooms won't is focus separation and, I assume, bokeh. They ought to be good portrait lenses. The 85mm on a crop body would be excellent for head shots. The 50 mm would be sweet for 3/4 portraits and shots of couples and small groups. However, they do demand careful eye focus when used wide open. As it happens I tend to prefer 90-135 mm (f/f) focal range for my street shooting, although most folks probably prefer the 35 - 50 mm (f/f) perspective. I suppose the questions I'd ask are, do you want to make candid portraits and what general perspective do you prefer?

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

sbeme wrote:
Not familiar with the Nikon line-up, but I have held onto my Canon 50 1.4 for the low-light capability and for shooting close to wide open . The Canon needs to be stopped down to 2.0 or a tad more.
Its a similar situation to mine, although you are a bit better covered. I have a 24-105 that overlaps the range. However, it is f4.

Conversion looks nice but the crop doesnt do much for me. I dont like both the cut off left side and background space on the right. Maybe a tighter, more centered square crop with greater burning of
...Show more

Thanks Scott,

Yes, a yawner - my purpose was checking for CA, which was absent.

Seems most lens reviews suggest softness beyond f2.8 and below.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:15 AM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Your thoughts and experiences please? Simplify kit.

Thanks to everyone for your thoughtful and informative replies. You raise additional considerations.

For the next 4 months, our eldest daughter and her two children - both subject of serval posts - will be staying with us. Lots opportunities to test and learn. I am confident you will be a part of that

Thanks again,

Bob

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:26 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password