Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 7d or wait for 7dII

wmb7

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 7d or wait for 7dII

I've been saving to buy a 7d, but with rumors of a 7dII around the corner I am wondering if I should wait longer and keep saving for the newer model. I don't want to jump the gun and buy the old 7d and wish I would have waited for the 7dII, But on the other hand, I don't want to wait too long and not be able to find a 7d.

I'm sure some of you have had this same dilema at some point, or have experience with the 7d, and can give me some insight into helping with this decision.

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:22 AM
time2clmb
• •
p.1 #2 · 7d or wait for 7dII

Rumors or assumptions? The 7D just had a firmware update released with some "improvements", if a 7D2 was just around the corner would they release an update like this?

You won't be dissapointed with the 7d if you learn how to use it (which it seems alot of the complainers never bothered to do).

Commence assumptions and guessing.....go....

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:34 AM
Gochugogi
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · 7d or wait for 7dII

With all Canon's fanfare and smokescreens about the FW2 update, you'll be missing a lot of photographs waiting for the many fabled 7D2. The 7D2 rumor mongers pretty much turned into withering stumps after that blast from papa Canon. If you crave the latest and greatest you need to buy a T4i, 5D3 or 1DX.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:25 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · 7d or wait for 7dII

At least wait until Photokina in September and see if there's any big announcement on camera bodies.

Whether you agree or not, there is always a possibility of a new 7D2. The firmware update could just be the final push to sell the remaining stock before they introduce the 7D2. Or there could be a new upgraded 70D with close to 7D specs, especially since the Rebel AF was upgraded.

So yeah, wait until next month before you make a decision or you could be kicking yourself for being hasty. It's only a few weeks away to what could be the biggest photography event this year... and your brand spankin new camera.

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:21 AM
John_T
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · 7d or wait for 7dII

I would have to ask what it is that might come with a 7D2 that you want that you don't have with a 7D? Are you thinking about what car model you have in the driveway or driving?

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:32 AM
Gyroscope
• • •
p.1 #6 · 7d or wait for 7dII

Just buy a used one on ebay and get shooting. Cameras dont make great pics photographers do.

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:52 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #7 · 7d or wait for 7dII

I Like others have said above would be surprised if the 7D2 comes in the near future.
The 2.0 firmware points to a longer time frame. Not really because of the added functions (which are nice) but more for the way canon made such a big song and dance about announcing the new firmware.

There are a couple of things I would like to see in a 7D2 . Like something appraoching the AF from the 5D3 , a 2nd card slot would be a nice addition (wouldn't mind 2 SD or 1cf 1Sd) and of course we always want less noise /better hi iso . And while I'm at it a lower than 100 ISO would be great as well .

But any or all of these in a 7D2 will most likely be quite a bit more $ than the current one. So that would still make the caurrent one a great deal.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:21 AM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · 7d or wait for 7dII

It's not about what the camera can do as much as what you get for your money. Besides, It's not a long wait anyway, and if there is a new body, it'll only bring the price of the older camera even lower.

I love driving, but driving a new car is always nicer, especially a faster new car.

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:30 AM
wmb7

p.1 #9 · 7d or wait for 7dII

Thanks for all of the good advice. I hear that the price of a new model usually runs about $500 more than the current price of the old one. This would put the 7DII, if released, at around $2000. How much does the price of an old model usually drop when the new one is released? If it is at roughly $1500 now, what would I expect to see while it is still available?

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:59 AM
oldrattler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · 7d or wait for 7dII

Wait... If you buy now and a new, super stud model comes out in Sept.., you would be kicking yourself... If in a hurry, buy now... A nice used model off FM can be had for $1100.00, or less...

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:13 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DelCan

p.1 #11 · 7d or wait for 7dII

I own a 7D and it's a great camera. Like has been said before, you can get a nice used one for around $1100. When ever it's released it'll come with a lot higher price. (5D Mark II vs III i.e.)

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:36 AM
wmb7

p.1 #12 · 7d or wait for 7dII

I haven't really thought about buying used because, unlike lenses, cameras have a shorter life span. However, several people have mentioned it. What risks are involved in buying a used 7D? Anything to look for? How many actuations should I be looking at?

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:50 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #13 · 7d or wait for 7dII

wmb7 wrote:
I haven't really thought about buying used because, unlike lenses, cameras have a shorter life span. However, several people have mentioned it. What risks are involved in buying a used 7D? Anything to look for? How many actuations should I be looking at?

The risks of buying used are just like lenses. Might work today but not tomorrow. Unless you can hold it or test it out you have to trust the seller. Based on my limited purchasing experiences for photographic equipment, sellers in general on this board and on POTN underestimate the appearance of their stuff. I've bought 4 things used so far and not a single item looks like it has ever been used. So, assuming someone told me a camera was in good working order, I would trust them, especially if their feedback warranted the trust.

All that said, I have seen a LOT of 7Ds being sold for less than $1100 with well under 10-20,000 actuations. I think Canon gives it a 75,000 lifespan and the 5Dii a 150,000 lifespan. (the 5Dii can be had for $1,600 all day long near new) The cheapest I have seen a 7D body go for was $950 shipped, though there may be some better deals. If you are worried about a warranty, check out the CLP. (Canon Loyalty Program) The CLP allows you to trade in an old camera for 20% off the price of a refurbished unit from the Canon store. Can be any old Canon digital and if you don't have one people will sell them cheap all the time. I think I paid $12 for mine a few weeks back to use on my next purchase. With the CLP, the 7D is less than $1100 plus tax and shipping AND if you have the funds, you may be able to purchase a refurb lens at a discounted rate at the same time. There are only certain bodies that they do this with, so I can't guarantee 100%. With the refurb unit, you get a 90 day warranty through Canon. The nice thing about their refurb units is that they appear new in every respect. My T3i had a 0 shutter count and was packed with everything as it would be from the factory, just in a white box.

Good luck with your purchase and I am sure you will love the upgrade.

They upgraded the 5D, 1D, and T series this year, so you may very well see some new bodies in the xx and 7 series next year.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:42 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #14 · 7d or wait for 7dII

All that said, I have seen a LOT of 7Ds being sold for less than $1100 with well under 10-20,000 actuations. I think Canon gives it a 75,000 lifespan and the 5Dii a 150,000 lifespan. (the 5Dii can be had for $1,600 all day long near new

Sorry mike , but the 7D is rated at 150K just like the 5D2 (and 5D3) . Which is higher than the 40/50/60D (100k) .
Number of actuations is only a mean figure. You will find lots of bodies that the shutters die early and lots that go on much longer.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:37 PM
howard
• •
p.1 #15 · 7d or wait for 7dII

You did not say if you have a camera to use or not.

If you do not, then don't wait, who knows when/if the 7D successor will come out?

However, if you do, then at this point, I would suggest that you wait. I am in the same boat -- I have been looking for an upgrade to my 50D, and since the 7D has been out for more than 2 years, I think its successor will probably be coming out soon, and I think it will be fantastic!

(which is not to say that the 7D is a capable camera; it is. But every camera eventually gets replaced by a successor, and usually the successor is superior, except in the case of 60D when Canon deliberately crippled it).

Howard

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:24 PM
howard
• •
p.1 #16 · 7d or wait for 7dII

Ian.Dobinson wrote:
Sorry mike , but the 7D is rated at 150K just like the 5D2 (and 5D3) . Which is higher than the 40/50/60D (100k) .
Number of actuations is only a mean figure. You will find lots of bodies that the shutters die early and lots that go on much longer.

I would say "minimum figure" rather than a "mean figure". When Canon (or any manufacturer) publishes the shutter actuation count, it is guaranteed to last at least that long. Many cameras exceed that, some vastly so.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:25 PM
Will Patterson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · 7d or wait for 7dII

The 7D II just came out. It's called Firmware version 2.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:32 PM
OwlsEyes
• • • •
p.1 #18 · 7d or wait for 7dII

If you want to save money on a 7D but are worried about buying used, you might want to consider a refurbished body from Canon/Adoramma/National Camera Exchange/B&H/etc.... The refurbs are about $1200 ($400 < new) and a couple hundred more than used.

BTW, I have been so comfortable with my 7D as a wildlife body (paired with my 5D-2 for landscapes) that I just purchased a second 7D (2 weeks ago) as a back-up. With the crazy price of the 5D-3, I would have had to sell my two bodies and add $1200 to buy the 5D-3. That same $1200 gave me the flexibility of a great back-up and now provides an outstanding modern camera for my wife to use when we are out and about.

Lot's of people like to berate the 7D... I'm not one of them.
cheers,
bruce

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:00 PM
Wahoowa
• • •
p.1 #19 · 7d or wait for 7dII

If history repeats (which is very likely), some solid rumors will be heard at least a few months before the actual announcement date. Then, it'll be at least 3-6 months before the first shipment, which you'll have to pay premium for one.

Until now, I haven't really heard any solid rumors regarding a new 7D Mark II, unless it's the budget full-frame DSLR that they are talking about. If that's the one and it's announced at Photokina, you will likely get one for yourself close to Christmas time.

So, unless you currently have a capable camera in your hands, don't wait.

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:04 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #20 · 7d or wait for 7dII

howard wrote:
I would say "minimum figure" rather than a "mean figure". When Canon (or any manufacturer) publishes the shutter actuation count, it is guaranteed to last at least that long. Many cameras exceed that, some vastly so.

No it's certainly not a 'minimum' figure.

As far as I can remember the rating comes from a batch test. So in a batch they will have some that die early <50k while others go on over 200k
The typicle one that comes up on here all the time is the 1D2 series bodies . Lots of times you see posts where someone's shutter dies at a very low figure of 20-30k (either new or a shutter replacement) while others have lasted way over the 200K rated figure .

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:08 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password