New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Flash for AE1

Two23
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Flash for AE1

I'm asking for a friend. He's wanting to use a flash on his AE-1 and FTbn cameras. The flash is for "general" fill flash duty. He was asking about buying a 430EX, but I'm thinking that might be a waste of money? I know the Nikon iTTL and older TTL systems are not interchangeable as they are different systems. I assume the 430EX has an auto mode that would work with the AE1, but he'd be paying a pile of money for a new flash that won't "talk" to his AE1, right? So, what would a good medium to high power flash would be a good pick for an AE-1? New or vintage are OK.

Kent in SD

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:11 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Flash for AE1

Vivitar 283.

EBH

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:15 PM
StillFingerz
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Flash for AE1

EB-1 wrote:
Vivitar 283.

EBH

+1

Still have my Vivitar 283 and 285 from way back in my A-1 film days and they still fire off fine. If you want a Canon branded flash then I'd suggest the 300TL, I've a few of these for my T90 bodies and they are also still working. Check here on FM's Buy&Sell forum 1st, e-bay or most of the major photo shops have used ones, check B&H, Adorama or KEH, they usually go for $25 to about $85.

Jerry

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:31 PM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Flash for AE1

viv 285

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:42 PM
rscheffler
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Flash for AE1

The current Canon flashes are all TTL exposure based and don't have the auto-thyristor 'eye' on the flash to vary light output based on camera to subject distance. Therefore, the current Canon flashes will only be usable on manual power output, and not all models have manual output settings. The Canon flashes from the AE1 era were all designated with an "A" suffix, such as 155A, 199A, etc... and there are probably some still out there on the used market. Sunpak also had some with interchangeable hot shoes that would work similarly, with the correct Canon dedicated shoe.

Otherwise, as everyone suggests, the Vivitar 283/285 would be a good solution. The only benefit to a flash with Canon dedication is it would set the camera at 1/60 and might even set the aperture based on the aperture/power output selected on the flash (with the aperture on the lens set to A).

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:01 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Flash for AE1

Two23 wrote:
...I assume the 430EX has an auto mode that would work with the AE1...

I don't think so. I think it would have to be manual mode only.

Two23 wrote:
...what would a good medium to high power flash would be a good pick for an AE-1? New or vintage are OK.

I used an AE-1 Program for years, and I used both Sunpak and Vivitar flashes with it. The Vivitar 285HV is still being sold, and for less than $90 it has the most bang for the buck of any flash I've used in recent memory.

It has a built-in auto-sensor with four apertures available, as well as a manual mode, and there's a built-in calculator dial to show what the range will be at given apertures and ISO settings.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/61441-REG/Vivitar_233965_285HV_Flash.html

Even though I have three Canon Speedlites, I'm hanging on to my 285HV.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:40 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.