Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Mac question?

LarryBoy57
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Mac question?

Hello all,

I'm currently a Windows user considering giving the Mac a try.

By question is: will this Mac be powerful enough for use with Photoshop?

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Apple%26%23174%3B+-+21.5%22+iMac%26%23174%3B+-+4GB+Memory+-+500GB+Hard+Drive/2658077.p?id=1218343209949&skuId=2658077

I would upgrade the ram to 8mb.

Thanks for any feedback you can provide.

Larry

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:30 PM
gpchase
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Mac question?

You should certainly look for a model with an ssd as main hd and 8GB of ram is on the skinny side too..but ram is quite inexpensive these days and if you could eke out a 27" you'll be in editing heaven,,(especially if you get the i7)

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:41 PM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · Mac question?

There's a lot to consider when switching OS to or from Mac OSX. Look at every program you use - including those you use only occasionally and might normally forget about - and see if there is a Mac equivalent or alternative, and whether it achieves the same things, and whether the data files are compatible.

You might find some interesting info at www.macperformanceguide.com which is run by a bloke who is into using Ps on big image files.

- Alan

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:29 AM
martines34
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Mac question?

Depends whether you want a laptop or an iMac.

Go for a 27" iMac and you will be very happy.

Aug 18, 2012 at 10:54 AM
gpchase
• • •
p.1 #5 · Mac question?

Also pretty much any window program works perfectly running on the MAC in Parallels of VMWare. The have pretty much perfected the integration now and these programs are very reasonably priced.
The new Macbook Pro is a stunner with the iris screen but pricey..
Any way you go you will love it !

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:13 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

WAYCOOL
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Mac question?

The computer you link to would work fine with the size files your dealing with.

"Any way you go you will love it ! " not necessarily I use both and while I don't hate OSX I prefer Windows Seven. (not a whole lot of difference between the two IMHO)

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:54 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Mac question?

Alan321 wrote:
Look at every program you use - including those you use only occasionally and might normally forget about - and see if there is a Mac equivalent or alternative

Not strictly necessary. If there is a Windows program that you absolutely have to retain, you can run Parallels or VMWare Fusion on the Mac and use the Windows OS (or Bootcamp if you don't mind rebooting into one OS or the other). For example, I have not found a Mac program to replace Quicken. So I have used Parallels for years and have Windows 7 running with Quicken. The Mac makes a great Windows computer actually.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:08 PM
Jeffrey
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · Mac question?

You will wonder how you ever survived using as peecee.

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:35 AM
Alan321
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · Mac question?

DanBrown wrote:
Not strictly necessary. If there is a Windows program that you absolutely have to retain, you can run Parallels or VMWare Fusion on the Mac and use the Windows OS (or Bootcamp if you don't mind rebooting into one OS or the other). For example, I have not found a Mac program to replace Quicken. So I have used Parallels for years and have Windows 7 running with Quicken. The Mac makes a great Windows computer actually.

Fair enough, but Quicken or the like is largely stand-alone. If you wanted to use something like Downloader Pro to manage photo file imports and renames and so on then it is a lot messier because you'd be trying to use both OSs with your image files, and that just gets messy. Not impossible, but messy. Plus you have to buy an extra Windows licence or stop using it on the old computer.

Also, Windows is far more prone to bad things and it seems a shame to subject your Mac to them if you don't have to. I try to keep Windows away from as much of my data as possible.

I have found that software such as MS Office is not as compatible as I would like it to be or MS would have us believe (though far better than the previous version) and it is not all that friendly when it comes to two-way file conversions.

- Alan

Aug 19, 2012 at 11:22 AM
JCLittle

p.1 #10 · Mac question?

I contemplated the same decision coming up on a year ago, PC to Mac. Although an amateur I'm a fairly heavy user of LR4 and some PS CS5. My iMac 27 with 16GB RAM blows through everything with zero hesitation. Not only is the presentation spectacular with the 27 screen the file management is the icing on the cake. Only one issue that I had was one of the many software programs I used on my PC was not available for a Mac, wouldn’t you know it, it was a Microsoft product. Go Mac and you will seriously never look back.

Aug 20, 2012 at 06:18 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password