Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Kathy White
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Has anyone used the Vagabond mini to power the Photogenic Studiomax III's? I have the set that will not take their DC power packs. Accidentally I might add and I did not realize it until after the return period. I would really like to be able to power them by battery at sites even in places with power, to avoid the power cords. From reading up on it, I think I would be ok to use them but they do have a disclaimer on their site due to recycling and tolerences of your lights. I would feel better knowing if others were using them successfully.

Thanks for any input.

Kathy

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:52 PM
Phoveo

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Hi Kathy,

I use the Studiomax III 320 and the PL1250 lights with the Vagabond Mini Lithium with no problems at all. These batteries and lights are an excellent combination. My 320's last a very long time on this battery! You're good to go!

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:56 AM
Tom Robinson

p.1 #3 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Hi Kathy,
I also have used the Mini Lithium with the PL1250. No problem. Just remember to shut-off the modeling light.
Tom

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:12 PM
Kathy White
• • •
p.1 #4 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Thanks Tom and Phoveo, I'm going to order one to start. I think I will add a second one later so no cords at all.

I really appreciate your sharing.

Kathy

Aug 24, 2012 at 01:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Tom Robinson

p.1 #5 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Kathy,
While on topic, the Mini Lithium is a nice way to power these strobes but it's construction is terrible. The clamp they want you to use for mounting it to the light stand is plastic and I cracked the housing my first time using it. It still works fine but keep that in mind, you may want to hang it by the shoulder strap. PCB construction seems a notch under what you are used to getting from Photogenic, I see the cheapness with the Einstiens too. I have a couple PCB 15yr old WL series lights made of metal that are still working, not sure if the new stuff will last that long.

Aug 24, 2012 at 03:33 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #6 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Design features notwithstanding on a plastic case.

The very design of this unit will allow you to power those lights, full stop.

I don't know why people go on about a (admitted bad design flaw) issue that has been year in discussion. It works for some, others not so much. And if you cracked the housing the "first time I used it" then send it back whilst it's under the TWO YEAR warranty period.

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:04 PM
John Skinner
• • •
p.1 #7 · Compatablility question about Vagabond mini

Design features notwithstanding on a plastic case.

The very design of this unit will allow you to power those lights, full stop.

I don't know why people go on about a (admitted bad design flaw) issue that has been year in discussion. It works for some, others not so much. And if you cracked the housing the "first time I used it" then send it back whilst it's under the TWO YEAR warranty period.

Aug 24, 2012 at 04:04 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password