Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · canon 7d ext. flash

Tokash23

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · canon 7d ext. flash

I bought a 7d a little under a year ago and couldnt be happier with it, however the ext. flash i was using for my rebel xs doesn't seem to be working as well with this camera. Just wondering if anyone could point me in the direction of a good flash for a decent price. Im a college student and am doing my internship in photography and really need a good flash for what im doing

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:52 PM
dwweiche
• • •
p.1 #2 · canon 7d ext. flash

Welcome to FM.

Can you share with us what flash you currently have and in what ways it is no longer performing as previously on your Xs?

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:58 PM
jamach
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · canon 7d ext. flash

you can buy used or new at Adorama, B&H, KEH, or the Buy and Sell here. The site has links to these sources all over. If you can afford it with the financial aid, you can invest in the new Canon flash and ste-3, then you are wireless and radio controlled!

I would recommend the 430ex unless you need more 'power'

Joe

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:22 PM
Tokash23

p.1 #4 · canon 7d ext. flash

the flash i have now is a quantaray pz40x ii. it seemed to work pretty well with the rebel i was usin, but as of late it doesnt flash. It will randomly work for like 2 pictures then it quits, now it could be that I am doing something wrong but like i said it seemed to work fine the last time i used it with my rebel.
i have been wanting to get something a little more consistant but like i said money is tight at the moment. thanks for ur guys' input.

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:45 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

vsg28
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · canon 7d ext. flash

My budget was tight at the time I wanted to buy an external flash as well, I was considering a used 430ex (the 580 ex II was too expensive, even used, this time last year) and so I went with the Yongnuo YN565ex which is essentially a clone of the 580 II without the high speed sync.

Now I would recommend looking out for a used 580 II instead, but if you budget is pretty tight then go with a new YN565ex at ~$160.

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:48 PM
BrianO
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · canon 7d ext. flash

Tokash23 wrote:
...Im a college student and am doing my internship in photography and really need a good flash for what im doing

Considering your needs and goals, a flash is one area where I wouldn't skimp. A Canon-brand Speedlite is a major purchase, but it is one that will last and can be moved from camera to camera as you progress.

If you can't fit one into your budget in one chunk you might look into a Best Buy credit line, hit up family and friends (with a written repayment plan), etc.

In the long run, I think you'll be happier. Plus, as an intern you might land some future work opportunities that might not be offered if you present a "less-than-professional" appearance. Selling yourself and your skills can never start too early. John Malloy proved it in his "Dress for Success" experiments, and the same is as true of a professional's tools of the trade as it is for his clothes.

Aug 18, 2012 at 04:54 AM
mikeinctown
• •
p.1 #7 · canon 7d ext. flash

vsg28 wrote:
My budget was tight at the time I wanted to buy an external flash as well, I was considering a used 430ex (the 580 ex II was too expensive, even used, this time last year) and so I went with the Yongnuo YN565ex which is essentially a clone of the 580 II without the high speed sync.

Now I would recommend looking out for a used 580 II instead, but if you budget is pretty tight then go with a new YN565ex at ~$160.

I was going to go with the 565 as my first flash but I was lucky enough to score a 430EXii here for $200. Even going used, you can by 2 new 565 flashes for less than one used 580EXii. If he went Canon, I think this is one time I would go used all the way. No need to go into debt for a flash.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:28 AM
CW100
• • • •
p.1 #8 · canon 7d ext. flash

vsg28 wrote:

The Yongnuo YN565 is good, I've been Yongnuo flashes for over three years, they work great.

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:01 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password