Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · candid moment - good / bad / ugly - need your opinion

PerlaD300
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · candid moment - good / bad / ugly - need your opinion

It was raining and we were at a office outing and had a chance to grab few shots of colleagues. While I kinda like the picture, I wanted your honest opinion on what's working in this picture and what is NOT working in this picture. What could have been done differently? Appreciate your feedback.....

Tried a bit different processing using Picasa presets (didn't had Photoshop on my laptop)....

Regards,
Perla

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · candid moment - good / bad / ugly - need your opinion

Interesting - is that a racetrack?

Works - two main subjects, I like their interaction

Does not work - railing in background, chain link fence, men standing in background (all of which are beyond your control) Summary - distracting background
Mixed opinion - subdued, flat lighting.

At the moment I cannot think of what you might have done differently in that setting - some will always want to see "their eyes".

my 2

Bob

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:22 PM
PerlaD300
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · candid moment - good / bad / ugly - need your opinion

Hi Bob....you are correct, this was at a race track. Due to the lack of better f stop (f5.6 was the widest on my lens, 18-200mm), this is all I got for the main subject isolation. I could have PP'd in photoshop and blur out the background, but couldn't due to the time limitation. I do appreciate your feedback.

Could I shot differntly to blur the background better with the lens I have?

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:32 PM
ben egbert
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · candid moment - good / bad / ugly - need your opinion

A candid by nature does not allow much posing. I suppose it would be good to have the backround more OOF, or the other people out of the frame. But the main subject is just fine to me.

I wish the person behind the left side lady was not so perfectly behind her. He was walking so perhaps you could have waited a moment.

You could get rid of the bright spot on the tree. Not liking the one on the umbrellas either. Looks like water spots on a window or your lens.

Edit:

Took a stab at it, the clone job is pretty crude but shows the effect it would have. Tried lens blur on the background but the masking effort would be pretty long.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:18 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · candid moment - good / bad / ugly - need your opinion

PerlaD300 wrote:
Hi Bob....you are correct, this was at a race track. Due to the lack of better f stop (f5.6 was the widest on my lens, 18-200mm), this is all I got for the main subject isolation. I could have PP'd in photoshop and blur out the background, but couldn't due to the time limitation. I do appreciate your feedback.

Could I shot differntly to blur the background better with the lens I have?

Another rendition - Don't know how you could have changed situation to blur background more.

Or another approach...using Silver Efex Pro 2...relying on contrast and sharpness for separation

Bob

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:04 AM

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password