Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

solomon_hutchi

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

I am running a 1000x CF card for raw images and setting to record lower res jpg's to a 16GB non-high speed SDHC card simultaneously.

I haven't been able to run extensive tests yet, but wondering if writing to dual cards and/or one high speed card/one standard will cause any write delays/buffer delays.

Any insight is appreciated.

Thanks!

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Todd Klassy
• •
p.1 #2 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

Your fastest card will only write as fast as the slowest card. In other words, you will not achieve 1000x speeds since I don't think there is a 1000x SD card. It's an annoyance we 5D Mark III owners are hoping will be fixed with a future firmware update.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:09 PM
Photon
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

There's some interesting data in this thread.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:16 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

Todd Klassy wrote:
Your fastest card will only write as fast as the slowest card. In other words, you will not achieve 1000x speeds since I don't think there is a 1000x SD card. It's an annoyance we 5D Mark III owners are hoping will be fixed with a future firmware update.

As you can see from the RG database the 5D3 is crippled in write speeds when you use SD cards. It does not utilise the lates faster SD so you will only ever get Just under 20mbps . And I think you reduce the cf channel to that speed also .
Also if you shoot raw to the cf and jpeg(any size) to the SD your buffer is 6 shots .

Interestingly the buffer of the 7D was reduced to 6 when shooting dual format. Now with the new irmaware it's increased to 18 .

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:55 AM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #5 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

I just got my Lexar 1000x CF card and have a 16GB 30MBs SD card. What I have found is with Raw -> CF and M JPG->SD I get no improvement over my 7 shot buffer spray.

1. Removing the CF card and simply writing L or M JPG->SD card could shoot 80 shots before slowing.

2. Removing the SD card and using just the CF Card I can shoot 20 RAW shots before slowing.

It appears the camera itself is impacting the performance when using dual cards not the cards themselves. My guess is due to writing 2 different format types concurrently the processing slows significantly. Only way to verify would be with a 1000x SD card but 5D3 can't handle those, if they exist.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:21 PM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · Quick Question on 5D mark iii dual card write times

svassh wrote:
I just got my Lexar 1000x CF card and have a 16GB 30MBs SD card. What I have found is with Raw -> CF and M JPG->SD I get no improvement over my 7 shot buffer spray.

1. Removing the CF card and simply writing L or M JPG->SD card could shoot 80 shots before slowing.

2. Removing the SD card and using just the CF Card I can shoot 20 RAW shots before slowing.

It appears the camera itself is impacting the performance when using dual cards not the cards themselves. My guess is due to writing 2 different format
...Show more

Yeah , probably in much the same way as the 7D was .
Same card/s . I would get 7 raw+jpeg (VF said 6) before the firmware update . And after the update I get 18-19 .
And none of my cards are that quick . The quickest is a transcend 400x but I've tried very old sandisk ultra cards and the result is Basicly the same .
So I'm pretty sure the 7D was artificially hamstrung by canon and wouldn't be to surprised if the 5D3 is to some extent either

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password