Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

yandmphoto

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

Hi all! I came across this sale and thought i'd share it with you. I'm looking into buying some studio lighting that is portable and wanted to know if this would be a good start or not. The reviews are great on it. What do you think?

Impact LiteTrek 4.0 DC Monolight and Mini LiteTrek (LT) Battery Pack Kit
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/695135-REG/Impact_10052520_LiteTrek_4_0_Monolight_and.html

Would this be a good setup to start out my portable lighting with? We are trying to get away from speedlights and more into the studio setup. I'm planning to add a 24 x 36 wescott softbox with it. Can I hook up pocket wizards to this kit as well?

Thanks for any help you can provide

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:47 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

I too have been interested in this unit. I like the power and portability. I believe one fly in the ointment is that it uses a Comet mount for modifiers but I believe they offer a Comet-to-Bowens adapter. It has a standard sync port so it will support firing by Pocket Wizards.

I wish I could comment from experience but I currently use Quantum flash units and although they are good, they lack power. They are also very expensive with the batteries being relatively low capacity compared to the LiOn battery of the Trek.
In speaking with Quantum they seem to have no interest in offering LiOn any time soon.

The other obvious setup is to with Alien Bees and Vagabond minis. I use that combo and it is very good value but I really hate the modifier mount on the Bees.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:40 AM
yandmphoto

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

Thanks for the input. I was doing some more research and ended up looking into the Einstein units with the vagabond minis. I want to get the cyber commander with it and control everything from camera. What is the modifier mount you're referring to on the Bees? You know if that same mount comes with the Einsteins?

Right now I am just deciding if I should get the AB1600 or spend a little extra money on the Einsteins and the commander unit to get full control. Any thoughts?

Aug 20, 2012 at 04:00 PM
markd61
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

The modifier mount is a Balcar mount used on all Alien Bees, Einsteins and White Lightning products. It is the means of attaching the softboxes, beauty dishes etc. to the flash.
It works OK but is not too good with heavier modifiers such as a 4foot by 6foot softbox. The critical bit is the ring that mates with the mount. Some suppliers are apparently a little loose on their measurements in manufacturing and thus will give a weaker mount.

Aug 20, 2012 at 07:42 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

yandmphoto

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

But I could also just buy the softbox from PCB that comes with the speedring to mount it together right? If I did that I'm assuming that mount will work more solidly.

Aug 20, 2012 at 09:05 PM
dmward
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

Yes, the PCB foldable soft box would be a natural for the Einstein.
There are a lot of differences between the Impact unit and an Einstein.
The Einstein is superior technology and a true moonlight with AC power and, as you note with the Cyber Commander remotely controllable.

One advantage the Impact light offers is that the battery pack can also be used with speedlites. And the price is attractive as a higher powered light source at a wedding. Its probably a bit smaller and lighter than the Einstein. Also less power.

I have 4 Einsteins but rarely take them out of the car at a wedding unless I have an assistant to help with them.

Aug 21, 2012 at 08:44 PM
yandmphoto

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Impact LiteTrek 4.0 Sale! worth it?

I should probably consider the likelihood of us using these at a wedding versus not and if the impact at 2.1 pounds would make it more likely. The idea for us is to have this as much as possible... but luckily I'm always going to be with my wife and can serve as her assistant when shooting portraits and such. Thanks for the info! If I ended going with the Impacts do you have a recommendation on the trigger i should get? anything cheaper than the standard pocket wizards?

Aug 22, 2012 at 11:16 PM

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password