Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Local sale only on B&S?

fhammond
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Local sale only on B&S?

Hi all,

I decided to switch from Nikon to Canon so I've got a pile of gear to sell on the B&S forum (D4, 35 f/1.4, 24-70, 70-200, 85mm and a bunch of other stuff).

I've not really used the B&S forum here before so I have no feedback. Also, I hate shipping equipment. For both of those reasons, I'd like to restrict sales to local people in the Bay area in California. What's the etiquette around that ? I'd like to avoid getting yelled at on B&S!

thanks,
Fergus

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:17 PM
anthonysemone
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · Local sale only on B&S?

Hi Fergus,

I'm no expert on local sales. However, you can certainly in your ad say that you will only do local sales, offering to meet up with interested buyers at a public venue. Given the high-dollar value of the items you're selling, and your proximity to Oakland , you might want to consider hiring armed security to accompany you, or at the very least, meeting a prospective buyer in your local bank - assuming they'd allow that sort of stuff.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:27 PM
fhammond
• •
p.1 #3 · Local sale only on B&S?

Ha! Fortunately, I live in a very nice part of Oakland, up in the Hills. Oakland gets a bad rap - deservedly - but parts of it are great.

Thanks for the advice. I'll post and see if I get yelled out by the forum police!

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:39 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #4 · Local sale only on B&S?

There's no prohibition on local sales. It's not commonly done, probably because it definitely restricts your target audience. But people have done it. I did it a while back when I was selling a large printer.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:00 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

anthonysemone
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Local sale only on B&S?

I echo what Dan said. No prohibition against it at all that I'm aware of. (Oakland is probably a lot like Philadelphia then )

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:06 PM
netexpress
• • • •
p.1 #6 · Local sale only on B&S?

Fergus, I'm a fellow SF East Bay resident and I've done several B&S postings on FM for local pickup only. I've never gotten any flack for it and it's always worked out well. In fact I'm meeting up with someone tomorrow morning to hopefully sell a Canon 600mm f/4L IS. We luckily have a 7 million large local population so it's a great market to buy and sell in. I often cross post to Craigslist with a link back to my FM B&S photos. Craigslist brings in more hits but I also get a lot of Nigerian Scammers on Craigslist which are just for the most part annoying. Why are they always telling me they are buying it as a gift for their nephew? Can't they come up with something more original?

Good luck with the sale Fergus!

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:29 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Local sale only on B&S?

Be thankful you're ia an area with lots of potential buyers. Local sales in North Dakota, for example, might be a problem

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:51 AM

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password