Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Canon EOS 5D Mark II Digital SLR Camera Proves Essential for Realistic Photography of Miniature Puppets and Sets, As Well As Sequential Image-Pairs Needed for 3D Animation.

From Canon: Five camera teams and crews of animators, puppeteers, and staff from LAIKA animation studios, along with an garrison of sixty EOS 5D Mark II SLR cameras from Canon U.S.A., Inc., a leader in digital imaging solutions, have come together to help bring the new 3D feature film, “ParaNorman” to screens this Summer. The EOS 5D Mark II DSLR cameras captured frame-by-frame stop-motion animation of puppet “actors” in this new horror comedy about a small-town boy who speaks to ghosts and must battle an assortment of otherworldly creatures to save his town from doom.

Read the entire press release

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:31 PM
jojosung
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

what kind of lens is that?

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:12 PM
onegreatcity
• • •
p.1 #3 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Awesome!

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:23 PM
svassh
• • •
p.1 #4 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

I have seen the previews for this, would have thought this was all cgi.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:36 PM
Chris Sharp
• •
p.1 #5 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

"Principal photography will be done with EOS 5D Mark III cameras, which feature a live view that's two stops better than the original Mark II's, and that's even better for us."

Says this at the very end of the article. What does it mean? How is live view 2 stops better? Does it just mean that the live view image has 2 stops less noise?

~C

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:25 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #6 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

i think it means that you can see the live view image in 2 stops dimmer lighting, probably pretty useful on a film like this

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:29 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Does the article writer even understand what he wrote or is he just talking it up for Canon? The "Sequential Image-Pairs" is not for 3D animation, it's for stereoscopic 3D viewing.

Very clever of Laika to use 5D2 to go beyond 4k res. Since it's stop motion they can use the full 21MP resolution, though I think they would have a custom aspect ratio hacked into the firmware.

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:55 PM
andyjaggy82
• • •
p.1 #8 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

As a professional 3D animator I question whether this guy really knows what he is talking about...

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:01 PM
M Lucca
• • •
p.1 #9 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Explains why the Refurb 5d2s are always OOS!

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:08 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Chris Sharp wrote:
"Principal photography will be done with EOS 5D Mark III cameras, which feature a live view that's two stops better than the original Mark II's, and that's even better for us."

Says this at the very end of the article. What does it mean? How is live view 2 stops better? Does it just mean that the live view image has 2 stops less noise?

~C

I think he is referring to 2-stop cleaner image. (After chip noise reduction is applied)
We need skibum5 to explain this one!

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride" was "filmed" using Canon 1D Mark II's. The production selected the 1D's primarily for their consistency from camera to camera and low noise. Im sure many of you remember that the Canon 1D mark II changed the game in DSLRs and caused MANY Nikon users to switch. The 5D2 had a similar effect in still shooters but also started a huge DSLR video movement. The 7D continued the trend.

Curious that they chose the 5D instead of the 1DX.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:45 PM
omarlyn
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Sneakyracer wrote:
...Curious that they chose the 5D instead of the 1DX.

Though it may not seem like it, even the most extravagant blockbuster movies have budgets...I'm sure this movie was no different.

Omar

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:54 PM
Ralph Conway
• • • •
p.1 #13 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

I just watched the trailer in german. wonderful! I would have said it is CG, too.

Here´s the US one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NbtltCSpcU

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:56 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Sneakyracer wrote:
Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride" was "filmed" using Canon 1D Mark II's. The production selected the 1D's primarily for their consistency from camera to camera and low noise. Im sure many of you remember that the Canon 1D mark II changed the game in DSLRs and caused MANY Nikon users to switch. The 5D2 had a similar effect in still shooters but also started a huge DSLR video movement. The 7D continued the trend.

1DX is new. I doubt it was a available.

EBH

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:21 PM
panicatnabisco

p.1 #15 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Sneakyracer wrote:

More resolution, smaller body and I could imagine 5Ds, especially the mark IIs, are more readily available than the 1DX

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:48 PM
n0b0
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

panicatnabisco wrote:
More resolution, smaller body and I could imagine 5Ds, especially the mark IIs, are more readily available than the 1DX

All that plus the fact that the trailer says August release which means it's been in production for at least a year, probably two. 1DX wasn't finished yet back then. Even if Canon's willing to lend then the prototype, I doubt they'd willing to rely on a bunch of untested cameras for their work.

Aug 18, 2012 at 12:41 AM
markd61
• •
p.1 #17 · Sixty Canon 5D Mark II SLRs used in movie ParaNorman

Sneakyracer wrote:
Tim Burton's "Corpse Bride" was "filmed" using Canon 1D Mark II's.

As was" Wallace and Gromit;The Curse of the Were-Rabbit "

Aug 21, 2012 at 05:08 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password