New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Travel Tripod Tips

garyroach
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Travel Tripod Tips

I've decide to take a smaller travel tripod with me on an upcoming trip. Any tips that you can share? I remember that I used to hang my camera bag around the tripod legs to help stabilize a smaller tripod that I used when I first started shooting many years ago.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:16 AM
dcains
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Travel Tripod Tips

Which tripod have you got, and what gear will it be supporting?

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:04 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Travel Tripod Tips

My travel tripod is a Benro C-157M8 with a BH-30 LR. The largest lens that will be on it is a 70-200 2.8 IS II attached to a 5DII or 7D. I'll take a 1.4x II with me, but only use it in a pinch.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:53 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Travel Tripod Tips

Hanging some weight on it is a good idea. I do it all the time.
Definitely get/bring a cable release.
With my travel setup (Gitzo Traveller tripod/Markins Q3) vibration is easy to induce with the slightest touch, especially noticeable on telephoto lenses.

But wind can also be a problem, especially with a lightweight tripod setup.
A camera strap flapping around can be real issue.
Usually I turn off IS on a tripod, but in windy conditions, I'll usually turn it on.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:33 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Travel Tripod Tips

Ideally, the weight should hang from the center of the tripod and just barely touch the ground. This way the force is directed straight down, rather than slightly to one side, and the weight won't be able to move.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:39 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Travel Tripod Tips

I usually don't use a cable release. I should use it more often. This will be a good time to get in the habit of using one.

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:30 PM
peter_n
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Travel Tripod Tips

I've rigged myself up with a bungee cord with a hook at the top and a large D-ring at the bottom. If it's windy I hook the cord into the center column, then put my foot into the D-ring and pull the ring to the ground. It seems better than hanging a bag.

Aug 18, 2012 at 04:59 PM
garyroach
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Travel Tripod Tips

I just discovered a hook on the bottom of the center post on my Benro tripod! Doesn't look like it would hold a lot of weight. But, better than nothing.

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:53 PM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Travel Tripod Tips

peter_n wrote:
I've rigged myself up with a bungee cord with a hook at the top and a large D-ring at the bottom. If it's windy I hook the cord into the center column, then put my foot into the D-ring and pull the ring to the ground. It seems better than hanging a bag.

The bungee and carabiner (instead of D-ring), sounds like a great solution to use with a bag.
I rather not have to step into and out of the D-ring when I'm shooting, since I rarely just stand in one place and usually have my feet to the sides.

Thanks for this tip - I'm definitely going to try it.

Aug 19, 2012 at 10:24 PM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.