Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

Archive 2012 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

DLP
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.4 #1 · p.4 #1 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

EB-1 wrote:
I'm curious how is that any lighter than simply removing the center column from the 2540 tripod?

EBH

I'd still appreciate it if you could share your secret as to how you are attaching your BH by simply removing the center column. AFAIK you have to replace it with some thing and the Markins is lighter, shorter and more stable. It is kinda funky though.

Dave

Aug 24, 2012 at 10:03 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.4 #2 · p.4 #2 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

This thread seems to have gotten somewhat out of control, so I wanted to post this pic to clarify a thing or two about the smaller Gitzo 1-series ballhead platform on my 2-series tripod.

http://deanwcains.smugmug.com/photos/i-K3kV4Br/0/L/i-K3kV4Br-L.jpg

It can clearly be seen that the larger RRS lever clamp would interfere with the 2-series platform, which is why I made the change. The ballhead locking lever was never the issue, as it is spring loaded, and can be positioned in any orientation desired.

Further, the argument over which platform is correct, more stable, etc. is simply ridiculous. There is no standard which requires a 2-series tripod to have a particular size platform, and a 1-series to have another size, and so on. Gitzo's choice of platform size was arbitrary, and they could have made it any size. So swapping the ballhead platform certainly doesn't violate any design principles, standards, or result in any compromise/change in stability.

Finally, all this complaining/arguing over an inexpensive part which takes but a minute to change? Just silly. If it works, so be it, and the same goes for personal preferences. Nothing really to get so excited about.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:28 PM
dcains
• • • • •
p.4 #3 · p.4 #3 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

ISO1600 wrote:
maybe i'm not up and up on the BH40, but any particular reason you're not considering the Kirk BH3? I have been more than pleased with mine for the 7+ years i've been using it.

Nothing wrong with the BH3 at all. At this high level, the choice is just one of personal preferences. I prefer the ergonomics of the BH40 to the others, but I also use a Q3 on my smaller tripod. Comparing that Markins to the Kirk, I prefer the fit/finish and smoother operation of the Markins.

Aug 24, 2012 at 05:41 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.4 #4 · p.4 #4 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

pbraymond wrote:
That's good info to know, Dave. Looking at the dimensions on Markin's website I could not tell that it cleared.

Glad to help. The Markins TB-20 is about 3 ounces heavier than the ground leveling kit Dean linked to which is about $55 on Amazon. Based on price point alone I'd be inclined to try that unless you shoot in a lot of wind or want to use a larger BH in the future like the BH-55. Platform stability is something I see as of paramount importance but every one is different and I can certainly appreciate that my set up is rather unique.
As far as clamps go I'm perfectly happy with the LR-II and while it's been some time since I've tried the BH-40 on the factory column I tend to agree with Dean about clearance in the drop slot.
There was a time just a few years ago right here on FM that the Gitzo/Markins base combo was often referred to as the super Gitzo.

Dave

http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GS2320K-Ground-Level-Kit/dp/B002FGT436/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1345849708&sr=1-1&keywords=GS2320K

Aug 24, 2012 at 06:29 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #5 · p.4 #5 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

dcains wrote:
This thread seems to have gotten somewhat out of control, so I wanted to post this pic to clarify a thing or two about the smaller Gitzo 1-series ballhead platform on my 2-series tripod.

http://deanwcains.smugmug.com/photos/i-K3kV4Br/0/L/i-K3kV4Br-L.jpg

It can clearly be seen that the larger RRS lever clamp would interfere with the 2-series platform, which is why I made the change. The ballhead locking lever was never the issue, as it is spring loaded, and can be positioned in any orientation desired.

Further, the argument over which platform is correct, more stable, etc. is simply ridiculous. There is no standard which requires a 2-series
...Show more

Not arguing here but: yes we can clearly see it would interfere with the larger series 2 platform and also the Markins platform showed in this thread. On your image we can clearly see it because you have the clamp upside down with the lever release down beneath the platform. A normal and accurate way to use the ballhead and clamp would be with the lever release up.(especially when you don't like it to interfere with the platform) That's also the way according to RRS website pics and the manual, where they show and talk about this. If you have it like this the clamp will go nearly exactly as far down as the bottom of the housing (ballhead), and not a couple of cm below it.

Aug 25, 2012 at 08:37 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.4 #6 · p.4 #6 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

This is how the BH-40 with the largest clamp looks when you use it like you should, and have the lever release up. It's on a series 1, series 2 and series 3 platforms. You can use it on all platforms. But it's a very tight fit on the larger platforms if you have it as far down in the drop-notch as you possible can have. A heavy camera and lens and it will touch the platform a little bit in certain angles. But it's no problem using it if you like that. All these shots are with the clamp in the worst possible position for the top-plate also.

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/145608697/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/145608698/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/145608699/original.jpg

Aug 25, 2012 at 09:11 AM
Roland W
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.4 #7 · p.4 #7 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

For issues related to the column platform, I have used a technique to eliminate the platform on my smallish Gitzo series 2, and also for a friend on a Gitzo series 1. I also do the same on some of my Gitzo Series 3 columns. To make the change you take the platform and its screw hardware completely off. You prepare a 3/8 inch stainless set screw of about 1 inch or 1.25 inch length by adding a low profile self locking nut, the kind that has a plastic insert to cause it to self lock to threads. If you use an ordinary height one, it is too tall to work, but the low profile ones I purchased just fit. You assemble it so the flat side of the nut faces down, and the hex socket of the set screw it up. You then thread it in to the recess in the top of the column, and tighten it in place using a hex L wrench in the socket. The top of the nut goes just below the top face of the column, and you end up with a 3/8 inch stud sticking out of your column. You then can screw any 3/8 inch threaded ball head on to the column directly. You can also put other items on your column if you wish, including some versions of quick release clamps that have 3/8 inch threads.

From a support point of view, you do not have the wide bearing surface of the column platform mating against the ball head, but the original platform that you removed had the small bearing diameter of the column against the bottom of it, so the stiffness and bearing issues should be the same for this as they were for the original assembly. For some ball heads they may not have a nice smooth surface right at the smaller diameter of the column top fitting, but for all my Really Right Stuff ball heads from BH-30 to BH-55, they can be put on Series 1 and Series 2 columns and bear well. If you run in to a ball head that does not bear well, you could add a wide area washer between the column fitting and the ball head, as long as it diameter was the same or larger than the column fitting.

As far as locking the ball head on the column, that is an issue that you need to consider. The newer Gitzo Series 2 column plates have dual setscrews for locking, but the Series 1 plates do not have setscrews, and rely on tightening of the head to the column. With my adaption using a set screw and locking nut, you do need to rely on hand tightening of the head to the column. The stud is locked in place in the column fitting because of tightening the locking nut in to the column, so that part stays put, but good hand tightening of the head on to the assembly requires a fair amount of hand strength. For my friend that has less hand strength, I am in the process of making some wrenches out of nylon that will look like lens filter wrenches, and will allow easier tightening of the ball head base to the column with out any marring or damage.

With this approach the issues of the lever or knob on a clamp hitting the column platform goes away. You can choose to store or use the clamp with the lever or knob either up or down when the ball stem is in the slot. Since I almost always us an L plate, I very rarely end up with the stem down to the bottom of the side slot for shooting, but still for me clearance for storage is a consideration. And for storage I do like the lever downward tucked in beside the column for better protection if the tripod is miss handled or dropped.

And this technique does save just a little weight compared to the regular platform, which is a nice benefit for small tripods. The interference issues and the weight are both reasons I do this. I had been using this on Gitzo Series 3 tripod columns since before the platforms had setscrews for locking. Now that they have locking setscrews I am kind of mixed, and have one Series 3 column that I use the original platform with its locking setscrews. But on another column where I have a RRS lever clamp on it, I use the set screw stud approach for that. This method is not for everyone, but I though it may be of interest to some.

Here is a link to the low profile self locking nut I used. This company also has the stainless setscrews available in various lengths.

http://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=7723

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:34 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.4 #8 · p.4 #8 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
This is how the BH-40 with the largest clamp looks when you use it like you should, and have the lever release up. It's on a series 1, series 2 and series 3 platforms. You can use it on all platforms. But it's a very tight fit on the larger platforms if you have it as far down in the drop-notch as you possible can have. A heavy camera and lens and it will touch the platform a little bit in certain angles. But it's no problem using it if you like that. All these shots are with the
...Show more

This is the worst possible position, and it's what I've been talking about:

http://deanwcains.smugmug.com/photos/i-Tkf259B/0/L/i-Tkf259B-L.jpg

Now if I take the ballhead off the tripod, turn the clamp as you have yours positioned, one edge of the ballhead is lifted off the table by ~1.5-2mm, so I'm guessing it would also hit the 2-series platform, as you did mention.

Aug 25, 2012 at 11:59 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.4 #9 · p.4 #9 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

Roland W wrote:
For issues related to the column platform, I have used a technique to eliminate the platform on my smallish Gitzo series 2, and also for a friend on a Gitzo series 1. {SNIP}

I actually tried this method a few years ago with the BH40 on my 2-series, but had issues keeping the ballhead tightened to the column. A dab of Loctite Blue worked well enough, but then it was tough to remove the ballhead, which was necessary to fit the tripod in my suitcase for travel. The new Gitzo platforms with the rubber "Safe Grip" layer works very well at keeping the ballhead tight, even on those without the setscrew.

Aug 25, 2012 at 12:10 PM
thumphrey

p.4 #10 · p.4 #10 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

I went with the Markins head on my Series 2. I wanted the BH40, but it was too big to fold up.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:19 PM
thumphrey

p.4 #11 · p.4 #11 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

I went with the Markins head on my Series 2. I wanted the BH40, but it was too big to fold up.

Sep 09, 2012 at 09:19 PM
Kari Post
• • •
p.4 #12 · p.4 #12 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

I have used the BH-40 LR on my GT1541T. I just sold it recently in hopes of replacing it with a smaller ballhead (likely the BH-30 Pro).

The 1541T legs will not fold up over the BH-40. The BH-40 is on the large size for that tripod. It works, but its overkill IMO. The BH-30 is more than large enough to hold a 5D series camera and 70-200 combo.

I posted a thread comparing a few ballheads in this range in another forum. Here's the link: http://www.naturescapes.net/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=57&t=222307&p=2141864#p2141529

I'm going to go for the RRS BH-30. I've owned both a BH-55 and BH-40 and love their ballheads. They are the best I've used.

Sep 18, 2012 at 06:36 AM
peter_n
• • •
p.4 #13 · p.4 #13 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

If by "fold up" do you mean when you fold the legs back over the ball head those legs are parallel to the center column? If so you need a ballhead with a max outside diameter (panning base and ball housing) of 50mm with most travel tripods.

Sep 27, 2012 at 03:38 PM
jstntym
• •
p.4 #14 · p.4 #14 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

Don't know of how much help this is but from recommendations here I picked up the 2541 and the Markins Q-10 w/quick release and it's a great choice. I use it with the 5D MkIII and probably the heaviest lens I use it with so far 16-35 and my longest would be my 70-200 f/4. It's a great ballhead and was surprised how well it was machined, The operation is very smooth and tight tolerances. As for longevity I cannot speak since I've had it a short time. But from my tripod request here, folks like Lars pointed me into this direction and certainly have no regrets, in fact, couldn't be any happier with my decision to purchase. I see what is meant by "buy once, cry once" I never knew that tripods/ballheads could cost the $$ they do. I had a $40 Best Buy tripod that had served me well but was getting long in the tooth and I rather purchase something of quality to support nice gear.

Oct 01, 2012 at 07:23 PM
1       2       3      
       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.