Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

Archive 2012 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

gregwass

Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

You mentioned it would hit the 2 series platform. Would it also hit your 1 series platform?

Aug 18, 2012 at 02:27 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

How could it? The platform is smaller in diameter than the base of the ballhead.

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:26 AM
gregwass

p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

That's what I thought. Thanks. Do you actually use the level often? Debating whether I should get the wider one with the level or not. I probably won't use an L plate (at least not initially). The wider one will be fine with my 1 series but if I ever upgraded to a 2 series, it wouldn't. So am debating if I want the flexibility or the level.

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:33 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

I shot a few pics of the BH-40 and Q3 on Gitzo series 1 tripods. The Q3T head is smaller at the base than the Q3 on my pics. Everything else is exactly the same.
The main difference (IMO) in the size between those heads for travelling is, the BH-40 housing is a lot wider/thicker. Especially where all the knobs are attached. As you can see there is a big "lump" on the housing where they are attached. Both heads are strong and will easily carry anything a series 1 tripod can manage.

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/145449530/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/145449531/original.jpg

http://www.pbase.com/larsjohnsson/image/145449692/original.jpg

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:36 AM
gregwass

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

Great pics. Really, really helpful. Thanks Lars. The Markins is definitely somewhat smaller but doesn't seem like a huge difference.

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:39 AM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

It's a lot wider. And you also need much more space when turning the main knob on the BH-40. The knob on the Q3 doesn't move like the knob on the BH-40

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:42 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

gregwass wrote:
Do you actually use the level often? Debating whether I should get the wider one with the level or not. I probably won't use an L plate (at least not initially). The wider one will be fine with my 1 series but if I ever upgraded to a 2 series, it wouldn't. So am debating if I want the flexibility or the level.

I don't use the level on the clamp often, but it is useful for pano images, after the tripod column has been leveled first. A bubble level mounted in the camera's hotshoe is easier to see. If you ever do get a 2-series tripod, the 1-series platform can be purchased separately - I think I paid <$30 for mine from Amazon.com. Many of the Gitzo parts are mix-and-match.

Aug 18, 2012 at 06:06 AM
dg23

p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

referring to the initial post, I'm using the Acratech GP on the Gitzo 1541T, using a D800E & the equivalent Nikon lenses to your Canon. WIth the 70-200, & the GP in upside down pano mode, shutter delay is necessary, but I usually use it all the time for all lenses.

Aug 18, 2012 at 07:38 PM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

I'd opt for the RRS. I used a BH-40 on a series one Gitzo no problem.
I rarely use the level on the RRS clamp but I did jump up to a 2540 for travel. I removed the center column and replaced it with a Markins TB-20. Now it's several ounces lighter and stronger.

Dave

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:02 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

I'm curious how is that any lighter than simply removing the center column from the 2540 tripod?

EBH

Aug 19, 2012 at 08:45 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

DLP wrote:
I'd opt for the RRS. I used a BH-40 on a series one Gitzo no problem.
I rarely use the level on the RRS clamp but I did jump up to a 2540 for travel. I removed the center column and replaced it with a Markins TB-20. Now it's several ounces lighter and stronger.

Dave

Nobody say it's a problem. But why use the larger and more heavy head on his travel tripod ? He don't gain anything and makes the travel setup more heavy/larger!!
And your combo isn't really a travel tripod/head combo. You have a medium sized head on a medium sized tripod that will be rather tall even when you close it to the shortest length you can get.

Aug 20, 2012 at 12:04 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

Lars Johnsson wrote:
But why use the larger and more heavy head on his travel tripod ? He don't gain anything and makes the travel setup more heavy/larger!!
And your combo isn't really a travel tripod/head combo. You have a medium sized head on a medium sized tripod that will be rather tall even when you close it to the shortest length you can get.

One reason might be that some simply like the RRS BH but there could be many reasons based on future plans or others uses. It's really just a matter of personal preference. It's not like you can really make a poor choice between these two.
I'll have to disagree more than a little with my set up not being a travel pod Lars. It's logged a lot of air miles. As far as being tall when closed It's been some time since I had the 1540 against the 2540 but the 2540 is not tall enough when closed to make any appreciable difference. It still fits in a standard airline carry on but I do remove the BH. What I gained with this set up was a lot more stability for windy locations.

Dave

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:45 AM
DLP
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

EB-1 wrote:
I'm curious how is that any lighter than simply removing the center column from the 2540 tripod?

EBH

AFAIK you can't just remove the center column. Theres no way to attach the BH if you do.

Dave

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:57 AM
gregwass

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

DLP wrote:
One reason might be that some simply like the RRS BH but there could be many reasons based on future plans or others uses. It's really just a matter of personal preference.

Exactly. I think I'm going to go with the RRS BH-40. Partially because of everything I've heard about the quality of RRS, and partly because it gives me flexibility if I decide to switch my tripod from a 1542T to a 2542T.

I'm not worried about the extra size because I usually carry my tripod strapped to the size of my camera bag and it won't make much difference. I can always remove the BH and store it separately during transport, if I have to. The small amount of extra weight is a minor downside, but the BH-40 is the same weight as the head I have now (Gitzo 2780QR) which currently works fine for me.

Aug 20, 2012 at 05:59 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

DLP wrote:
AFAIK you can't just remove the center column. Theres no way to attach the BH if you do.

Dave

Correct - but, you can buy something called the "ground level kit" from Gitzo, or a third-party ballhead base, such as from Markins.

http://www.gitzo.com/product/72038.2019.83186.0.0/GS2320K/_/Ground_Level_Kit_%283_pieces%29

Aug 20, 2012 at 10:06 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

dcains wrote:
For reference, here's a BH40 on a 1-series platform (GT2540LVL tripod):

http://deanwcains.smugmug.com/photos/i-WDZwQNW/0/L/i-WDZwQNW-L.jpg

Cool, never thought of this before. WIll be ordering a one series platform.

Aug 21, 2012 at 06:50 AM
dcains
• • • • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

FYI, here's the Gitzo kit with the 1-series platform (which Gitzo calls an "adapter disc"):

http://www.amazon.com/Gitzo-GS1320D-Series-Aluminum-Adapter/dp/B0019R3BLI

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:43 AM
gregwass

p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

What's the main benefit of putting a Series 1 platform on Series 2 legs?

Aug 21, 2012 at 11:47 AM
pbraymond
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

gregwass wrote:
What's the main benefit of putting a Series 1 platform on Series 2 legs?

The locking lever does not quite clear a Series 2 platform since the BH40 is a short head (which I see as a good thing for stability), Dean's solution (and his incredible helpfulness, thanks Dean) is elegant and fairly inexpensive.

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:06 PM
Lars Johnsson
• • • • • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · RRS BH30 or Acratech GPS for Gitzo 1542T?

pbraymond wrote:
The locking lever does not quite clear a Series 2 platform since the BH40 is a short head (which I see as a good thing for stability), Dean's solution (and his incredible helpfulness, thanks Dean) is elegant and fairly inexpensive.

A short head compared to what? And why do you see it as more stable then? You have to use a longer tripod then

Aug 21, 2012 at 02:25 PM
       3       4       end

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

3       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.