Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

kodakeos
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

My wife and I noticed over the last 2 weddings that the noise in the 5DIII (iso 400, 800) is much worse in the luminescence channel than the 1DsII as similar ISO. We looked at both cameras files and compared to a bunch of older files.
She noticed there was more luminescence channel noise, more chromatic noise, and less clarity in the over all samples of images we looked at.
Specifically the noise in the background of shots at 400/800 was almost disturbing. We ran each file through ACR 6.7 and 7, and DPP to see if anything would reduce it / sharpen it. We shoot RAW exclusively so I don't think the NR setting should effect the photos.
With some Heavy NR setting in ACR we can get them better but we just don't understand why the 1Ds files look cleaner / sharper with the same lenses..
there might be some AA filter / resolution differences but not on this type of scale.
I can post specific photos tonight, but I wanted to get a sense of what you all think. I heard that at least one person was complaining that the sensor in his camera was poor and the 2-3 camera was much better. Is there that much sensor quality variation going on? I've seen shots with the 5DIII that were on 12000 that look like ours on 800!

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:44 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

Without seeing the samples (100% crops please) it is hard to say for sure, but the 5 series cameras are less tolerant of pushing very dark areas. So if your style requires this you may have issues.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:07 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

I assume that your wife and yourself compared files from both cameras for noise by enlarging them to "100%"? If that's the case, please keep in mind that the 1Ds Mark II has 16MP and the 5D Mark III has 22MP.

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:10 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/77517870/Eric%20%26%20Jackie%20Wedding0683.JPG

Thats the full jpg from CR7 - not terrible, but not as good as the 1Ds would have been. going to test the 1ds and 5dIII in a head to head this afternoon

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:19 AM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

AGeoJO wrote:
I assume that your wife and yourself compared files from both cameras for noise by enlarging them to "100%"? If that's the case, please keep in mind that the 1Ds Mark II has 16MP and the 5D Mark III has 22MP.

Agreed but that shouldnt make a case for increased noise - especially at ISO 400/800.

This is without NR applied.
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11397593/_04A9341.jpg

And here is the CR2 for those interested
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/11397593/_04A9341.CR2

Aug 17, 2012 at 10:23 AM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

seems like the guys in the back row are out of focus, which i think isn't helping with the perception of overall cleanliness/cleanness of the image. but the nose does seem a bit much.... the stuff in the background looks kind of like my 7D files used to.
i think it's under exposed a bit, which doesn't help, but i still don't think this is typically what you'd see at iso 800 with this camera. in a shot like this i see some noise, but it seems finer, grainier and overall more acceptable/pleasing.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:17 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

But when i compare it to the 1DsII, the 1Ds Stomps this. Theres very little grain, and generally a bit sharper overall (focus nonwithstanding)

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:19 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

i'll get you a file i shot, give me a minute

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:23 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

check pm's

edit: or rather don't. for some reason that entire image has like a shadow of itself in it. lol what the hell... sometimes you can't win

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:30 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

my wifes putting together a few test shots for us to compare later. 1DsII Vs 5DIII with same settings and lenses. Well see what we have...
They just seem noiser than what were used to (and weve been using the 1DsII since 2009.. so we have a pretty good baseline)
The first wedding we did, she had highlight tone priority on, so we turned that off.
Just looking for that 'ah' setting we might have forgotten...
Dont really think i need to add a stop to all my shots to avoid noise.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:33 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

ok, sent a new PM

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:39 PM
WebDog
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

Are you using any automatic light compensation?

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:51 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

I am not and I don't think my wife's is.
But I also don't think that effects jpgs, does it? Only long exposure nr I thought...

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:56 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

yeah stuff like auto lighting optimizer shouldn't be messing with you if you're shooting raw.

you don't have highlight tone priority on, do you?

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:58 PM
kodakeos
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

nope, turned that off too.
Recently I turned off NR all together, was on standard, but I dont think that applies to raw files either

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:59 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

yeah, you should be good by the sounds of it.

you're still getting most files at these ISO's with better quality, or no?

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:14 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

I thought that noise reduction and hightlight tone adjustments were applied to raw files processed by Canon dpp (Zoombrowser, etc). At least that is what I glean from the page 5 of this Canon article.

http://www.learn.usa.canon.com/resources/articles/2011/high_iso_noise_reduction_article.shtml

I don't know if the 3rd parties like Adobe have reverse engineered detection of these settings into their raw processors, but it looks like the information is in the raw file.

Edited on Aug 17, 2012 at 02:28 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:26 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

yeah, i'm pretty sure that's only when using DPP though... not photoshop/camera raw/lightroom/etc.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:28 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

goosemang wrote:
yeah, i'm pretty sure that's only when using DPP though... not photoshop/camera raw/lightroom/etc.

With seeing the source code for those converters it is hard to say.

My 2 cents is the only valid comparison is shoot both cameras in a controlled environment, at the same subject, at the same time, with the image processing options disabled.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:32 PM
goosemang
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 5DIII noise on lower ISO - worse than 1DsII?

ah, i just spent 5 minutes trying to find it and can't. we had a thread about this specifically not that long ago and people clarified exactly what does and does not apply to RAW.... maybe someone can dig it up

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:43 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.