Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

ksalvini
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

Just wondering if anyone has switched from a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II? Just curious, cause I had a 5d classic, and switched to a Nikon D700..... I totally loved my 5d classic as for image quality.. Autofocus was not as bad as people claimed, I thought. The D700 def has a really sweet autofocus, but not sure if I am liking the Nikon look in the images. May switch back to Canon and pick up a decent used 5d Mark II.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:49 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

Ask molson .

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:32 PM
rhyder
• • • •
p.1 #3 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

Nikon look..?..?

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:51 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

For whatever it is worth:
I didn't switch but I had my feet in both camps. I had both systems D700 and 5D Mark II (and 1Ds Mark III) for approximately 18 months. Image quality-wise, I like the files generated by the 5D Mark II quite a bit better than those generated by the D700, as you have noticed, too. The outer AF points of the D700 were more responsive than those in the 5D Mark II but the center AF point case was the opposite, IMHO. Under low light conditions, I had a tough time using the center AF point even with an SB800 for AF assist. At the end, I gave up my Nikon system entirely. It was too cumbersome to run two DSLR systems at the same time.

If you don't shoot sport or other fast acting actions and relying on the outer AF points for that, then I would suggest for you to look into the 5D Mark III but quite a bit more expensive. Otherwise, yes, the 5D Mark II will do the trick. On the other hand, depending on how extensive your current Nikon gear is, a switch may not be worth the trouble. Both camera systems are really that good.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:53 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

kewlcanon wrote:
Ask molson .

The 5D Mark II is a better camera in every respect, including AF accuracy.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:12 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

I'm similar to Joshua. I straddled both camps for about 2 years.

1) I found the same -- the center AF point was more discrete and precise in the Canon, and more nebulous in the Nikon bodies -- I mostly use center AF.

2) I didn't care for Nikon Matrix metering compared to Canon's Evaluative, getting a number of unpleasant surprises in high DR range/high contrast landscape situations.

3) Finally, I found Nikon pimps-up the color and saturation more than I like on a Standard setting, and forced me into Neutral -- then needed to jack up the neutral a bit.

Having said that, I did get some amazing shots from the Nikon approach. I love their handling of DR in hardware and software, and quite a few other things. I wish there was a way to take some items off Menu A and combine with Menu B, since each company excels in different ways, sometimes subtly.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:14 PM
gvg45
• • •
p.1 #7 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

I switched from the D700 to the 5 Mark II & I'd say that I had to agree with Joshua. It was a tough transition for me because I really liked the focusing of the Nikon but I loved Canon's files and lens line-up. Now, with the 5D Mark III, I'm happier than pig in...well you know what. The focusing in the Mark III trumps the D700 and I get the files & lenses as well.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:34 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

The only redeeming feature of the D700 was the ability to use my manual-focus Nikkors without an adapter. I gave up using them on my Canon bodies because I was never able to find an adapter that didn't degrade the image quality. Unfortunately, with its 90% viewfinder coverage and crippled Live View, the D700 was still lacking for this rather simple task.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:41 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

ksalvini
• •
p.1 #9 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

Thank you so much guys!! The D700 is a great camera and I get a lot of amazing photos. I feel that I will be more happier going back to Canon.. Just something different with how the images look.. I know most normal people cant tell the difference.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:43 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #10 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

I'm extraordinary so I can see the difference.

ksalvini wrote:
I know most normal people cant tell the difference.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:56 PM
molson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

kewlcanon wrote:
I'm extraordinary so I can see the difference.

More like those who choose not to look can't tell the difference...

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:19 PM
kewlcanon
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

Agree. You've described it in an elegant way.

molson wrote:
More like those who choose not to look can't tell the difference...

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:17 PM
ChrisCoy
• •
p.1 #13 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

You should just buy Sony. Sony rocks.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:27 PM
Gunzorro
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

Sony should make a model or two that have the EF mount and proper electronic interfacing for Canon lenses!

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:42 PM
bmorena

p.1 #15 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

I made the switch mostly to get video. The only thing that bummed me out was the auto focus on the 5d2. I found the d700 vastly superior which I was expecting. File wise I think I would say I get equal satisfaction with maybe a slight edge towards canon but that could be because that's what I have right now. I would also give a slight edge to the d700 for high ISO.

Aug 18, 2012 at 01:00 AM
snooked123
• • •
p.1 #16 · Anyone Switch From a Nikon D700 to a 5d Mark II

FWIW I have recently shifted from 5dc to d700 and I have found the following to be true:

1- Center focus point: d700 is slightly slower.
2- Outer focus point: d700 rocks no comparison even without the focus assist beam without which I I couldn't reliably get Canon to focus.
3- Nikon files: I have tweaked the neutral setting to match what I want and portrait files are awesome. With the flash no yellow cast, colors perfect, etc. Haven't settled on landscape settings yet.
4- Metering: Matrix metering definitely rocks, with 5dc I was always tweaking my exposure but with d700 no such thing.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:48 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password