Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · I need advice on a new light tripod

BiggHarry
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · I need advice on a new light tripod

For the last few months I was shooting daily architecture Ė mainly with my 5D mk III and 24L 1.4
Very quickly I discovered that my current tripod/balhead combination is very inadequate.

Iím thinking about purchasing Benro C2580 & A-S Monoball Z1 sp. In a longer term Iím hoping to buy a more sturdy tripod, but at this moment portability and ability to fit tripod in a on-board luggage is very important. The A-S Z1 ballhead I hope will be adequate for a sturdier tripod in the future. I'm not considering a gimbal head at this moment.
By the way I'm 6"2

Does my choice make any sense?

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:37 AM
smjphoto
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · I need advice on a new light tripod

Though they are not very popular on FM, I strongly recommend you look into a traditional 3 way head for architecture shots. I use a ball head or gimbal for everything else, but the critical framing adjustments for architecture really are easier w a 3way head. With a 3 way head you adjust the horizontal and vertical separately and it's easier to make very small corrections( especially if the head has adjusting arms similar to what a video head has). The pan is the 3rd control.
These heads are less expensive than a good ball head. They are slower to use than a ball head for normal use, but for fine adjustments, they excel. For me they lower the frustration factor significantly when trying to get perfect verticals. When using a tilt shift, I find another strong argument for them.
Ymmv
Stuart

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:34 PM
dgdg
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · I need advice on a new light tripod

how about using a geared tripod head?

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:53 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

dcains
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · I need advice on a new light tripod

+1 to the two posts above. If architecture shooting is primary, there are better options than a ballhead. For the gear you mentioned, the Z1 is likely much heavier than you'd ever need. Perhaps a Markins Q10 or RRS BH40, if you feel a ballhead is what you really want. Also, since you mentioned your height, be very wary of extending the center column on any tripod, as stability will be easily compromised.

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:43 PM
JameelH
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · I need advice on a new light tripod

I have the Arca Swiss D4 geared head. The pan movement is not geared but the other two axes are. It is a very well made had, albeit quite expensive. But less so than the Cube. I find the Manfrotto 405/410 to be quite bulky and heavy. My main use is landscape/macro and occasional architecture.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:17 PM
BiggHarry
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · I need advice on a new light tripod

Thank you guys for all advice.

A lot of thinking is left for me to do. It looks as I need to change my plans and use a 3 way head or geared head. I know very little on this subject, as until now I was shooting mostly without any tripod at all. Additionally it looks as I should not use central column at all. The logical conclusion is that I need a taller tripod.

It is a first time I'm doing a paid gig with the architecture.

Basically I need to take photos from the same vantage point every day from the day first shovel of dirt was removed (few months ago) to the completion of the building (sometime in April 2013), interior decoration, landscaping and official opening.
Actually Iím using 2 vantage points on a daily basis from opposite sides of the new construction from 2 balconies of neighboring buildings.

At this moment it takes me only few minutes a day, but when the interior is completed Ė it will be a bigger challenge. Iím not worry about the opening ceremony as Iím use to shoot weddings, conferences and concerts.

Aug 18, 2012 at 06:31 AM

FM Forums | General Gear-talk | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password