Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · 5D Mark III

petraj

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · 5D Mark III

Just received my camera. I guess I fit into the "enthusiast" category, and this is my first full frame. I'm trying to get up to speed with the camera to prepare for a couple of family events and a vacation. Whenever I have some free time, I get my camera and manual out and try to familiarize myself with it.

Last night, I attempted to get acquainted with the autofocus points. I don't know what I did but the image had a single lighted red square over a vase. What did or didn't I do? Help! . . . after you have yourself a good laugh!

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:16 AM
stanj
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · 5D Mark III

Welcome to FM.
Welcome to FF.

Now, the red point - were you actually looking at a vase? Is it on a cat if you're looking at a cat? And so on? That would be the selected AF point in Single AF / Spot AF mode.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:18 AM
Photon
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · 5D Mark III

Do you mean that the autofocus point showed when you reviewed the image on the LCD? That's a custom function to show (or hide) the AF point that was used.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:21 AM
petraj

p.1 #4 · 5D Mark III

Thanks for the quick replies.

stanj - Thanks for the welcome. The red lighted square actually showed up on the image of a row of vases in my living room wall system. What should I do so that it won't show up on the actual images?

Photon - Yes, the autofocus point showed up when I reviewed the image on LCD. A custom function . . . so I just go to the MENU button and look for "show (or hide) the AF point that was used?"

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:32 AM
Bullseye5d2
• •
p.1 #5 · 5D Mark III

petraj wrote:
Thanks for the quick replies.

stanj - Thanks for the welcome. The red lighted square actually showed up on the image of a row of vases in my living room wall system. What should I do so that it won't show up on the actual images?

Photon - Yes, the autofocus point showed up when I reviewed the image on LCD. A custom function . . . so I just go to the MENU button and look for "show (or hide) the AF point that was used?"

Don't worry, it will never show up on the actual image. It's only there when you review it on your camera so that you can see exactly where you camera focused.

This function can be disabled somewhere in the menus, however I can't tell you exactly where since I don't own the 5d3...

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:01 AM
petraj

p.1 #6 · 5D Mark III

Bullseye5d2 - That was reassuring that it won't show up if I printed the pictures. Thank you!

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:47 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

stanj
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · 5D Mark III

I think it's in the playback (blue) menus where it can be turned on / off.

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:48 AM
surf monkey
• • • •
p.1 #8 · 5D Mark III

That's a very cool feature.
I like the added bonus of choosing to zoom at 100% on the selected AF point.

Thanks for sharing.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:27 AM
petraj

p.1 #9 · 5D Mark III

i didn't find it in the Playback Menu. Do you know how it could be listed?

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:01 AM
willis
• •
p.1 #10 · 5D Mark III

It is in the playback menu. Third page, second item down. 'AF point display' enable/disable.

Aug 18, 2012 at 08:50 AM
Ian.Dobinson
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · 5D Mark III

petraj wrote:
Bullseye5d2 - That was reassuring that it won't show up if I printed the pictures. Thank you!

No it's just for you to see where the point of focus was. If you think about it , when you have multiple points active then when you come to review your image and the part you thought you wanted in focus isn't , you can use it to tell if the camera focused on something else.
Its not foolproof , if you focus and recompose the red point will not be over the point of focus.

Also some software can use it as well. The canon software than came with the camera does . I know there are a couple of others as well. But photoshop and Lightroom dont

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:12 AM
petraj

p.1 #12 · 5D Mark III

Thank you so much! Today will be my first day of shooting in town, giving me a chance to try out the focus points.

Aug 18, 2012 at 05:12 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password