Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Johnny B Goode
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Any of you following this trial?

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/2012/08/samsung-turns-tables-on-apple-demands-400m-for-its-own-patents/

I don't own a smartphone -I'll be considering getting one in the next 3 months- but this shit just seems petty. I would have thought Apple to be above doing things like this. It's not like the iphone is struggling to find customers, it's not like Apple is on the verge of becoming broke, so wtf? I think it shows an insecurity on Apple's part and the new direction of the company now that steve jobs is gone.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:35 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

It's best not to get involved. Big corporations sue each other all the time... and when that's not happening some are fined (big time) by the government, or subject to class-action lawsuits. More than likely a fair settlement/judgement is made without the losing party going out of business. The idea, IMO, is to cripple, not kill one another. I think the courts want to avoid a complete loss of government tax revenue by avoiding a judgement so severe as to put the other major corporation out of business, but again, that's just my opinion. Apple is just looking out after their own interests if they can prove patent infringement. Samsung might lose this one, but like, who cares. Feel sorry for the consumer who will eventually have to pay more for their pricey products. The corporate world is fierce.

BTW: A replacement iPhone 4S still under two year contract, but not officially reaching 18 months of service, cost $700 unless you signed up for AT&T insurance (recommended). BTDT.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:46 AM
paulhodson
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Johnny B Goode wrote:
...... but this shit just seems petty.

One billion dollars is petty?

Aug 25, 2012 at 01:41 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Verdict:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/08/24/apple-samsung-patent-lawsuit-ruling_n_1829472.html

Aug 25, 2012 at 02:12 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Johnny B Goode wrote:
I think it shows an insecurity on Apple's part and the new direction of the company now that steve jobs is gone.

Have you read Steve Jobs's biography? He was as protective of patents while he was alive as Apple is now. Here's a quote from the book relating how Jobs basically used the threat of a patent-based lawsuit to induce Microsoft to develop software for the Mac in 1997.

I called up Bill and said, “I’m going to turn this thing around.” Bill always had a soft spot for Apple. We got him into the application software business. The first Microsoft apps were Excel and Word for the Mac. So I called him and said, “I need help.” Microsoft was walking over Apple’s patents. I said, “If we kept up our lawsuits, a few years from now we could win a billion-dollar patent suit. You know it, and I know it. But Apple’s not going to survive that long if we’re at war. I know that. So let’s figure out
...Show more

Aug 25, 2012 at 03:29 PM
Mickey
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Looks like Apple's new moto is " Innovation thru litigation"

Aug 25, 2012 at 04:36 PM
BluesWest
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

I would have thought Apple to be above doing things like this.

Looks like Apple's new moto is " Innovation thru litigation"

Absurd comments. Corporations protect their IP through lawsuits. Apple alleged their IP was stolen and a jury agreed. Nothing petty about it -- simply the reality of corporate compeition.

John

Aug 25, 2012 at 05:04 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Well it was an American court, so that is expected.

EBH

Aug 26, 2012 at 02:02 AM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

This topic is a sink hole into which many will fall, never to return. I see no reason other than boredom to express an opinion on this topic. Enter at your own risk...

Aug 26, 2012 at 06:28 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

I see no reason other than boredom to express an opinion on this topic.

I know, I know.... and I've fallen (and I can't get up) but boredom is why we are all here (IMO). Let's put it this way, this topic has become more interesting and relevant than a lot of stuff on "Miscellaneous". Samsung, the leading manufacturer of Android phones, might be ordered to recall their current inventory from the shelves thus affecting a lot of sales pitches (see link). Sure, you get to keep your Android phone, but there is talk that if Apple has its way it will be forever covered by a brown paper bag.

FYI: I thought this was interesting.

Samsung has to be sorely disappointed, but it has enough cash to handle the $1 billion ruling with relative ease: It earned $12 billion last year and has $14 billion in cash in the bank.
........CNN Money.......

http://adland.tv/commercials/snl-skit-verizon-4g-lte-smartphones-spoof

Aug 27, 2012 at 12:05 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Johnny B Goode
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

paulhodson wrote:
One billion dollars is petty?

Asking for 1 billion dollars because the products look similar stating that users are not able to tell the difference between an apple phone and a samsung phone to me seems crazy. Because the icon's look similar. Because they all have flat screens, rectangular, with a metal boarder. That to me seems like a trivial thing. BUT apparently it's not because apple was awarded one billion dollars.

I didn't read steve job's book but that's good insight. And apple did what they had to do, I suppose.

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:54 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

It was expected indeed.
I'll never understand what a jury has to do in a civil matter. Let alone in an intellectual property matter where the file is filled up with technical details.
Fortunately, Quebec civil code doesn't have that institution.

Aug 29, 2012 at 12:26 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

I'll never understand what a jury has to do in a civil matter. Let alone in an intellectual property matter where the file is filled up with technical details.

Not only did the judge screen the 9 members of the jury, but as usual the defense had a say in who was selected. On this case there were 6 college grads and 3 additional jurors with a masters. Two had engineering degrees. Four worked for tech companies. One was familiar with patent law. This wasn't just some random dumb-ass jury as you will see if you read the link. When near exact copies (Samsung) of Apples's iPhone are marketed and compete against Apple's innovation/patents the only way to settle up and send a message to the other cell/tablet companies is a lawsuit. It's no different than someone stealing your photos and making a profit off them.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57499944-37/how-qualified-is-the-apple-samsung-jury-we-found-out/

Aug 29, 2012 at 01:56 PM
DanBrown
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

sorpa wrote:
Let alone in an intellectual property matter where the file is filled up with technical details.

Sure, juries are not necessary, because we all know how good judges are at understanding technical details.

Aug 29, 2012 at 02:27 PM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Sure, juries are not necessary, because we all know how good judges are at understanding technical details.

FYI:

Lucy Koh, the U.S. District Court judge who presided over the Apple/Samsung lawsuit

Born in Washington, D.C., Koh earned a Bachelor of Arts degree from Harvard College in Social Studies in 1990 and a Juris Doctorate from Harvard Law School in 1993.

From 2002 until 2008, Koh worked as a litigation partner at the Silicon Valley office of the law firm McDermott Will & Emery representing technology companies in patent, trade secret and commercial civil matters.

The jury had to answer a 700 question form testing their understanding of technical matters. Obviously with a case this big Apple and Samsung wouldn't expect anything less of a judge or jury. If anyone here knows of a better way concerning trial by jury, please contribute.

Aug 29, 2012 at 03:28 PM
Rodolfo Paiz
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

That's the problem with generalizations, they're all wrong. All extremists should be taken out and shot.

Aug 30, 2012 at 07:10 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

I assume that none of jury owned an Apple device.
Oh, and they were all Patagonian citizens.

Aug 30, 2012 at 09:09 PM
BenV
• • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Rodolfo Paiz wrote:
That's the problem with generalizations, they're all wrong. All extremists should be taken out and shot.

thats pretty extreme to say ^_^

Aug 30, 2012 at 09:20 PM
sorpa
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Apple lose in Japan. Not biased jury. North african citizens. Somebody told me.

http://www.neowin.net/news/apple-lose-in-the-patent-wars-against-samsung-in-japan?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+neowin-all+(Neowin+All+News)

Aug 31, 2012 at 11:12 AM
borderlight
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Apple vs. Samsung Lawsuit

Washington Post:
"Apple was ordered to stop selling the iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, iPad 1 and iPad 2 in South Korea, while Samsung must stop selling 12 products including the Galaxy S, Galaxy S II and Galaxy Tab. Apple was also ordered to pay Samsung 40 million won ($35,000) and the South Korean company must pay its U.S. rival 25 million won for the patent infringments."

OK, so Apple won 6 out of 7 lawsuits in S. Korea. It looks like Apple will have to shell out $15 million of the 1 billion (apparently) awarded in the US. I would say game, set, match there.

In Japan, Samsung won, but only on specific patent offenses.

Where these products are marketed and sold world-wide is the long term money concern. This looks to get even more complicated until it all shakes out.

Aug 31, 2012 at 01:34 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Forum & Miscellaneous | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password