Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

bmichalak

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

So I want to make the jump to Full frame, I am considering getting either a used 5D or a used 5D3, Can someone that knows more about these cameras give me any advice on which one would work out better for me. Sure the 5D is about 700 less than the 5D3. What other pros or cons exist within the two cameras.

Thanks in advance.

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:56 PM
alexdi
• •
p.1 #2 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

I assume you mean 5D II. Used prices are about: $3000 5D III, $1500 5D II, $750 5Dc.

The 5Dc has fine image quality and a crap interface that's slow to use and change. AF is average. No video.

The 5D II has better image quality, more speed, and a fine interface. AF is average. Video.

The 5D III has even slightly better image quality, even more speed, and a fine interface. AF is excellent. Video.

Pick what you care about.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:02 AM
bmichalak

p.1 #3 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

Yea I did mean 5DII sorry.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:07 AM
bmichalak

p.1 #4 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

Right now I have a 550D so I really don't know how to base AF being average. Sounds like the 5DII is the right choice.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:09 AM
gwaww
• •
p.1 #5 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

I purchased an original 5d when they were released and waited a long time before upgrading to a 5d MKII. There are alot of things better about a MKII, live view, better LCD, movie mode, micro-adjust, slightly better low-light capabilities, a tiny bit better AF. But I'm not sure the IQ is better. I still look at some of my old 5d images with much fondness. The original 5d was one of my all-time favorite cameras for pure image quality!

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:46 AM
gdanmitchell
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #6 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

bmichalak wrote:
So I want to make the jump to Full frame, I am considering getting either a used 5D or a used 5D3, Can someone that knows more about these cameras give me any advice on which one would work out better for me. Sure the 5D is about 700 less than the 5D3. What other pros or cons exist within the two cameras.

Thanks in advance.

Quick synopsis:

If cost is an issue and you need full-frame (and many who think they do don't, and end up giving up useful features that they could get on a cropped sensor body), the original 5D is a fine camera that can produce excellent image quality. If cost is not a limiting factor, the 5D2 and 5D3 include improvements and additional features that are useful and perhaps compelling - with the biggest changes coming between 5D and 5D2 - and getting one of those can make more sense.

More details:

5D: Excellent image quality. If you know what you are doing, you can produce quite large prints from 5D originals. (How large depends on a lot of variables including your own quality expectations. I feel that it can produce a very fine 16" x 24" print, and larger is possible.) Compared to the later 5D models, it lacks some features - more on these below - and it has a tendency to be afflicted by dust on the "sensor." You'll have to become adept at sensor cleaning - not too hard to do, but far more necessary on this camera than on newer models.

5D2 - Significantly better than the 5D in many ways, especially if you need/want the specific feature improvements in provides. The 21MP sensor is perhaps not as critical as some might have you believe - unless you shoot very carefully and frequently push the upper boundaries of print size, in which case it makes a real difference. The 5D2 can, in my view, produce excellent 20" x 30" prints or even 24" x 36" prints, and larger is possible depending upon your expectations. The camera has improved high ISO performance, perhaps by a margin of one or two stops over the 5D. The addition of a dust reduction feature is very useful. (I used to clean my 5D more than once per month. With the 5D2 it is more like once every 6-12 months.) For shooting landscape and certain other similar subjects, the "live view" feature is tremendously useful. The camera adds very high quality video capability. There are others, but I've written enough already!

5D3 - Reflects solid improvements to the 5D2, though the magnitude of the improvements over the 5D2 is much smaller than the magnitude of improvements of the 5D2 over the 5D. It might be said that the 5D3 mostly does a very fine job of addressing things that 5D2 users might have wanted improved or fixed, but it is not (in the estimation of most) a radical or major upgrade. Image quality from the 5D3 is reportedly only slightly improved over that of the 5D2, and many would rate the difference here as being insignificant. Functional improvements seem more important here, including such things as the improved AF system and the faster burst mode capability - both of which extend the usefulness of the camera in practical ways for certain kinds of shooters.

Someone earlier suggested big difference in the interface among the three cameras. I cannot speak to this regarding the 5D3, as I have decided not to upgrade for my own work. However I shot the 5D for about three years and the 5D3 for over 3 1/2 years and still own both cameras. Aside from the features that the 5D does not have (video, live view) the interface is not really all that different, and I'm quite comfortable moving back and forth between the two cameras.

If cost isn't an issue and you want the best, newest version of the 5D series, the 5D3 is a fine camera. If you want the equivalent image quality at a significantly lower cost and don't find the improvements over the 5D3 to be compelling enough to pay the extra cost, the 5D2 will do a great job for many types of photography. If the cost of the 5D2 or 5D3 is just too much for you, look around for a good-quality 5D, learn to clean the sensor, and you'll be good to go.

On the off chance that you are thinking you need full frame because "it is best" or "it has best image quality..." Well, yes. Or, maybe. But it isn't that simple. Full frame sensor provide some specific advantages for certain types of photography. For example, if you intend to work carefully from the tripod with excellent lenses and excellent technique and then regularly produce very large prints of the sizes I mentioned above, full-frame cameras have some very real advantages. On the other hand, if you won't shoot this way and you aren't about to start printing at huge sizes, you may give up some things with the full frame camera that might be more useful than the larger sensor. For example, you'll likely be able to use shorter focal length lenses with the cropped-sensor cameras. You may get features including faster burst mode, improved AF systems, and so forth at a lower price point. You might even save enough money to get additional lenses or electronic flash equipment - stuff that may end up having more value to you than the larger sensor.

And especially if you are more in the hobbyist category than the "serious photographer" category (I know that is vague, but you probably know what I mean) you may be better served by something else. Especially if your goals are more casual - say photographing the vacation or the kids sports or friends and so forth, and you mostly share photos online and in email - it really is not necessary to get an expensive full frame DSLR.

Good luck with your decision.

Dan

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:26 AM
bmichalak

p.1 #7 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

Dan,

I appreciate the full length discussion you have sent me. I was thinking of upgrading cameras from the T2i to something a little bit better. I have had the T2i for about 2-3 years now. Prior to going digital I shot for many years with a Rebel G Film camera. I greatly like the going digital change as most do. What I don't care for with using a cropped sensor is how the cropped sensor effects lenses. Plus, I don't want to buy lenses for a cropped sensor only to then have to then buy lenses for a full frame. I know that you can use EF lenses on a EFS body. But, I don't care for the conversion. That may sound weird to some. I would like to use say a true 50mm, and not having to substitute buying a 35mm to get the same-ish 50mm shot.

I was thinking of buying a 7D but it still has the same sensor size. Sure it is a better camera over the T2i, but with the money I would spend on a new 7D I could use that for a used 5D2.

I consider myself a serious hobbyist. I try to take photos every chance I get. While I do not print out large photos. I have more than a few shots hanging in my home.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:29 AM
nswelton
• •
p.1 #8 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

i have been shooting the 5d series since 05? i'd suggest getting a used 5d classic or a 5d III, depending on what your uses are. if you need video, shoot in obscenely low light, or are shooting fast moving subjects, the 5d3 is much better. if you are shooting portraits and landscapes, the 5d classic is about the same. the 5d classic is called the classic because it truly is classic.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:30 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

bmichalak wrote:
Dan,

I appreciate the full length discussion you have sent me. I was thinking of upgrading cameras from the T2i to something a little bit better. I have had the T2i for about 2-3 years now. Prior to going digital I shot for many years with a Rebel G Film camera. I greatly like the going digital change as most do. What I don't care for with using a cropped sensor is how the cropped sensor effects lenses. Plus, I don't want to buy lenses for a cropped sensor only to then have to then buy lenses for a full
...Show more

what sorts of things do you shoot? any sports/action? low iso mostly or lots of high iso?

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:32 AM
bmichalak

p.1 #10 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

Honestly the ISO varies but if I had to pick I would say mostly low ISO. I would like to get into sports photography and fast action shots. I just purchased a tele zoom lens so hopefully next Indy 500 that will take some nice up-close shots. Right now I mostly shoot landscapes and weather photos. However, the macro photography is something I would like to shoot. I guess you could say I am an all around guy.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:52 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #11 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

bmichalak wrote:
Dan,

I appreciate the full length discussion you have sent me. I was thinking of upgrading cameras from the T2i to something a little bit better. I have had the T2i for about 2-3 years now. Prior to going digital I shot for many years with a Rebel G Film camera. I greatly like the going digital change as most do. What I don't care for with using a cropped sensor is how the cropped sensor effects lenses. Plus, I don't want to buy lenses for a cropped sensor only to then have to then buy lenses for a full
...Show more

You are going to LOVE the 5D2, or even the 5D for that matter. I also come from shooting film slr's and when I first got into digital cropped sensor bodies was the only choice because I could not afford the 1DS (the original one!). I hated the way the sensor cropped all the lenses. Specially frustrating in wide angle and whenever one wanted shallow dof. As soon as the 5D came out I got it and wow. I was in heaven. No more focal length equivalents or conversions.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:07 AM
skibum5
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

bmichalak wrote:
Honestly the ISO varies but if I had to pick I would say mostly low ISO. I would like to get into sports photography and fast action shots. I just purchased a tele zoom lens so hopefully next Indy 500 that will take some nice up-close shots. Right now I mostly shoot landscapes and weather photos. However, the macro photography is something I would like to shoot. I guess you could say I am an all around guy.

for low iso they have basically the same image quality

for sports and fast action the quicker response, greater fps and better AF make a big difference
the auto-updating C1-C3 are also nice for such scenarios

for now with landscapes and weather stuff it wouldn't make too much difference (sure it can be nicer to have a bit more precise one shot AF but it's not end of the world, same for the nicer UI with instant 100% zoom and such)

if you do plan a lot of sports and action in the future then I would go with the 5D3 (although sitting up in the stands panning along with cars moving perpendicular to you it might not matter that much but if you do football,soccer and stuff like that)

of you get into landscape video, the 5D3 doesn't suffer from moire that the 5D2 does

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:59 AM
bmichalak

p.1 #13 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

What is auto-updating C1-C3?

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:54 AM
melcat
• • •
p.1 #14 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

The original 5D lacks an AF-ON button on the back. This means if you want back-button autofocus you need to put it on the AE-lock (asterisk) button, and if you also want AE lock you then need to make shutter half-press do that. I found that enormously error-prone. Others might not, since many cameras of the 70s and 80s worked that way (not ones I used though).

The Mark II has the modern arrangement with a dedicated AF-ON button, so you can set shutter half-press to "metering start" rather than "AE lock", which is also still available.

Aug 17, 2012 at 08:28 AM
thedutt
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

Right now if you can swing it, get the MKII from canon loyalty for about $1500 shipped.

Feature wise, the only three deal makers for MKII are 1) Higher resolution 2) AF microadjustment 3) Video.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:44 PM
cineski
• • • •
p.1 #16 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

My thoughts:

5D: Excellent image quality up through ISO 1600. Low ISO is noise is better than 5D2 and 5D3 due to banding issues (5D3 is much much better than 5D2 in low ISO banding). Average focus. Cheap.

5D2: Excellent image quality up through ISO 3200 (but with very little wiggle room for exposure). Focus, in my opinion, is slightly worse than the 5D. Video is sub par (most videographers don't shoot with the 5D2 anymore) for today's standards and the interface is also dated.

5D3: Excellent image quality up through ISO 12,800 (even with a bit of wiggle room for exposure). Focus is much better than the past two cameras. Video and user interface are both excellent.

You'll probably be very happy with the 5D2 but I skipped that generation because there were things about it I really didn't like. 5D3 is the it camera for me.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:26 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #17 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

First shot...5Dc + 300 f/4L IS @ f/10, ISO 50, 1/60 sec.

Second shot...5Dc + 1.4x + 300 f/4L IS @ f/8, ISO 125, 1/125 sec.

Jefferson

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:35 PM
abqnmusa
• • • •
p.1 #18 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

The original 5D has good image quality. no problem there

but keeping dust off the sensor is a major pain

I abandoned the 5D "classic" due to that issue. You can use the wet cleaning method with sensor swabs.
But it is a never ending battle.

I would go for the 5D II to avoid that hassle.

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:06 PM
Jefferson
• • • •
p.1 #19 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

I've never had much of an issue with dust unless sky is included in shots over f/20 or so...I change glass (from 300 to 70-200) at Road Atlanta all the time...and that is not exactly a pristine enviroment...dust does exist...just a fact of life...but not a major issue for me...for some, maybe...I think maybe the humidity has something to do with it...cuts down on the static on the sensor...maybe...

Jefferson

Edited on Aug 17, 2012 at 03:39 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:37 PM
Malux
• •
p.1 #20 · Advice Needed 5D vs 5D3

hey all, really appreciate this thread and have read every one of the comments. I'm in the same boat as many: do i go 5dII or 5DIII. i'm coming from a crop sensor (50D) and would consider myself semi pro. I teach workshops to new hobbyists and have sold some of my work but photography is not my sole source of income.

I shoot a lot of HDR on a tripod with a remote trigger and usually at iso 100 (here's my site by the way) and have been debating between the two bodies.

Hearing everyone and looking at the raw image comparison at various isos between the dII and DIII (see link here) at DPreview, I'm really leaning towards the DII now - especially with everything I'm hearing from everyone here.

I can suppliment the DII with a 7D (after selling my 50D) for focal length limited situations (and faster AF) and I think i'd be quite happy

Edited on Aug 17, 2012 at 03:43 PM · View previous versions

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:38 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password