Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

derry1
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

see a few of these on Craigs and often wonder if the quality ever was decent,,

appreciate your comments if you ever owned or tried one,,

thanks

Derry

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:32 PM
Avi B
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

If you dont mind the donut bokeh, then yeah, the mirror lenses are pretty decent.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:47 PM
ja_joyce
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

The bokeh is funky, but the lens is plenty good. And mirror lenses have no CA,

Aug 16, 2012 at 11:13 PM
CGrindahl
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

I own the early C model but without a tripod I really haven't been able to use it. A friend who owns both this lens and the 1000 Reflex urged me to buy the last version of the 500 which has a gold ring around the barrel. It looks like this...

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/ai5008.jpg

the photo above is the less well regarded, much less expensive lens. And yes, they are famous for their donut bokeh. Check this photostream and you'll find a few photos taken with the better lens. This fellow is a master at late night shooting but also occasionally goes long with this lens.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/donald_jean/

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:00 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

Derry1, I had the Nikon mirror lens in the original picture you posted. I have also tried faster versions of mirror lenses like the Bowen 500mm F6.3 (labled with all kinds of other names) and the very compact 300mm F5.6 Celestron, which I currently have for sale. I kind of like them. It is said that the larger the diameter of the glass of a mirror lens, the sharper the lens can be (if the alignment of all the glass is correct). Problems include, they are one stop slower than labled. They are very difficult to manually focus when there is action. The contrast is lower. There is only one F stop available. You generally need to use them outdoors on a sunny day because you need a fast shutter speed to avoid camera shake. After all is said, the Nikon version was the sharpest. The bokeh is not always a problem. It has to do with weather or not specular highlights are in the background.
There is a larger version of Rocko available on my website. PM me if you want the link.

Rocko

NIKON D300    500mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 18, 2012 at 09:28 PM
Chaz
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

I have the Reflex Nikkor 500mm f:8 dating back to 1970 for use then on a Nikon F camera.

I still use it today (mostly on a tripod) with the D800 and D800E with good results. Because of its light weight and small size it can be easily handheld when outdoors in light bright enough to allow a fast shutter speed.

As others have noted though, the "donut" bokeh (due to internal mirror) is not everyone's cup of tea. It comes with several 39mm screw mount filters that attach in the rear.

Aug 18, 2012 at 11:14 PM
williamkazak
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · were any of the Nikon 500mm Mirror lens decent

Another mirror lens pic.

NIKON D300    500mm    f/8.0    1/1000s    800 ISO    0.0 EV  

Aug 19, 2012 at 12:08 AM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password