Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2012 · Delivering Black & Whites

Jon-Mark
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · Delivering Black & Whites

When you deliver black and whites, do you deliver a colour copy as well? Do you offer the option for clients to request black and white photos to be changed to colour etc..? Why or why not?

Personally, I don't deliver the same image twice ( one colour, one B&W ) I feel like it makes me look indecisive and like I don't know what looks good.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:04 PM
Scott Mosher
• • • •
p.1 #2 · Delivering Black & Whites

I do.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:12 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · Delivering Black & Whites

Yes, I do what you do. I cover this is consultation thoroughly now. It's quite simple to explain why an image is strong in b&w, but average or poor in colour. For me, often 50% (or sometimes more) of what I show (both website and print) is in B&W, so if they don't like the, they're not going to contact me. That's good with me. We discuss how and why an image is in B&W, and how the strong colour elements stand out better, and what colours are important to them. I never express they have control over this. What I do say is that if when we come to create the album they're unsure and would like to see one or two then we can do this, but not all of them.

So for me I think it's simply about discussing why and how I use B&W, why colour isn't appropriate, but then showing them how I use colour effectively as well, how I listen and understand what's important to clients. This is something I've worked on this year, but now feel like I'm that area better. People ask in consultation, of I bring it up, but I've not had anyone ask afterwards now.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:16 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #4 · Delivering Black & Whites

We initially planned on delivering full sets in color + b/w, but eventually decided to go with just one set that's mostly in color.

We don't offer an option for changes, simply because we don't second-guess ourselves once we've delivered the goods.

Aug 16, 2012 at 10:33 PM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #5 · Delivering Black & Whites

as of 2011

56% color
14% both
44% in monochromatic

we offer to put in monochrome single images on request

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:20 AM
jneilosu
• • •
p.1 #6 · Delivering Black & Whites

I've always felt that showing both opens me up to "can I get that one in BW too please".

Honestly, most clients are inept enough to think that we still shoot film in the sense that BW vs color is predetermined. I don't many of them ever think "I'd like to see that in BW/Color".

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:02 AM
form
• • • •
p.1 #7 · Delivering Black & Whites

Originally I made duplicates of both color & b&w of the entire set. Then, I realized how much extra work I was going through and started NOT doing that...instead, I started doing around 50/50 of an entire set in color or b&w. I have gradually reduced the proportion of b&w photos to about 5-15%, roughly...

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:22 AM
TRReichman
• • • •
p.1 #8 · Delivering Black & Whites

We only show one version of each image. If I were running the business I would only deliver color, but alas...

- trr

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:33 AM
whtrbt7
• •
Account locked
p.1 #9 · Delivering Black & Whites

I only deliver 2 versions one B&W and one color if both images were good. Sometimes, I use B&W because it's better as a B&W photo in which case I don't deliver a color one.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:52 AM
D. Diggler
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · Delivering Black & Whites

For those of you folks who only deliver the black and white version, do you ever hear back from the client, "could we have this one in color"?

Aug 17, 2012 at 03:58 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tobicus
• • •
p.1 #11 · Delivering Black & Whites

D. Diggler wrote:
For those of you folks who only deliver the black and white version, do you ever hear back from the client, "could we have this one in color"?

We haven't so far, but if it occurred, we'd probably just tell them that the color version was no longer available.

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:05 AM
NathanHamler
• • • •
p.1 #12 · Delivering Black & Whites

Sometimes i make an image b&w because it sucks in color, at which point i would never deliver the color version...

Aug 17, 2012 at 04:07 AM
iShoot
• •
p.1 #13 · Delivering Black & Whites

Deliver whatever you edited. They hired you because you are the expert.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:57 AM
mccallmedia
• •
p.1 #14 · Delivering Black & Whites

D. Diggler wrote:

I've shot 16 weddings now and have never had a request for color on a b&w shot or vice versa. I go over b&w vs color in consulting and my portfolio represents the ratio I deliver for the most part. I'd say I go about 30-40% b&w and the rest color. I go heavier on b&w for getting ready shots and things that seem especially documentary. Also I tend to shoot pre-ceremony getting ready shots in hotel rooms and places that often have mixed lighting with tungsten and window light clashing so if the shot's fairly wide and incorporates both lighting types a b&w conversion makes sense.

Outdoor ceremonies and larger group formals are predominantly color. I throw more B&Ws in with B&G formals.

The one and only shot I always include both color and b&w is the kiss at the alter.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:26 AM
Kittyk
• • • •
p.1 #15 · Delivering Black & Whites

D. Diggler wrote:

it is ugly in color and was shot with that in mind, so answer is no.
if you really really need that, additional processing is xxx Eur

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:26 AM
maxwell1295
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · Delivering Black & Whites

Kittyk wrote:

Stealing this (minus the Euro part)

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:07 PM
Jon-Mark
• •
p.1 #17 · Delivering Black & Whites

Kittyk wrote:

Well put.

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:39 PM
fabiocamandona
• •
p.1 #18 · Delivering Black & Whites

Don't do. My clients choose me for my photos. If my photos (some) are in b/w it's ok for them.
In rare case I'm agree with KittyK when he writes: "it is ugly in color and was shot with that in mind". Not always true, I admit But sure I think that in the post production work.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:34 PM
tobicus
• • •
p.1 #19 · Delivering Black & Whites

^ I'm definitely more likely to use b/w for high ISO (above 6400) shots.

Aug 17, 2012 at 07:39 PM
XPO239
• • •
p.1 #20 · Delivering Black & Whites

For portrait sessions I only deliver photos in b/w if I feel that photo should be in b/w. I don't give them the color version...unless it also looks good as both color and b/w.

For weddings, I always leave the photo in color if I convert it to bw. I find that it helps with the album design when I don't want to mix color and bw images on one spread.

~ARI

Aug 17, 2012 at 09:28 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password