Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

voltaire
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Hi everyone! If you're looking for the ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter, it's available at B&H, just ordered mine a few minutes ago. $319.00

Hope this helps.

thanks,
Voltaire

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:10 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Thanks for posting. I have mine on order at Amazon, but it is still in pre-order status. If that does not change in a week or so I will go somewhere else.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:20 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Question:
To use the radio-based capabilities, you must have either (2) 600-RTs or one 600-RT + ST-E3 transmitter.
Having a 600-RT and a 580II would only work with optical therefore is essential like having (2) 580IIs
Also the new ST-E3 is radio only and does not transmit optical signal. Is all this correct?
Fred

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:26 PM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Fred Miranda wrote:
Question:
To use the radio-based capabilities, you must have either (2) 600-RTs or one 600-RT + ST-E3 transmitter.
Having a 600-RT and a 580II would only work with optical therefore is essential like having (2) 580IIs
Also the new ST-E3 is radio only and does not transmit optical signal. Is all this correct?
Fred

Unfortunately you are correct. Canon makes you commit to RF operation with the ST-E3. I know the ST-E2 did not work very well (flash must be in front of camera, very limited range, sometimes useless outside, etc), but it would have been nice to have the optical option in the ST-E3 to soften the blow.

On the plus side, with the ST-E3 the menus are very easy to understand and use, they have 5 groups, and most important of all, use batteries you can actually find in a normal store.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:35 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

voltaire
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

Hi Fred and Jerry,
I thought the ST E3 can be dumbed down to just optical but really defeats its purpose. I will use it on two 600-RTs.

Thanks,
Voltaire

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:21 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

To me the 2 things missing on the unit are optical control of older flashes and a shoe for mounting a flash on the camera. I guess if you want flash on camera for a little fill you have to use a bracket.

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:51 AM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

jerrykur wrote:
To me the 2 things missing on the unit are optical control of older flashes and a shoe for mounting a flash on the camera. I guess if you want flash on camera for a little fill you have to use a bracket.

Or use a 600RT for fill and to control any off camera units.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:01 AM
jerrykur
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · ST-E3-RT Speedlite Transmitter

NCAndy wrote:
Or use a 600RT for fill and to control any off camera units.

Of course! I guess my mind is stuck back in the 3rd party adapter limitations.

Aug 17, 2012 at 01:46 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password