Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Girls Soccer for C&C

dbaphotography
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Girls Soccer for C&C

I'm trying to get my gear and my brain dialed back into high school sports mode, and just shot a preseason soccer game.

I really enjoy and appreciate this forum, so I thought I'd post a few shots here and ask for some critique.

The sun was going down through some very smokey skies (lots of wildfires this summer). Photos were taken with either a Nikon D4 with a 200-400mm f4 or a D3s with a 70-200mm f2.8.

Thanks in advance.

Dave

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:47 PM
AndresG

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Girls Soccer for C&C

They look darn good for a person trying to get "dialed back in".

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:18 PM
Eric Smith
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Girls Soccer for C&C

Pass on #1 as half of the ball is cut off. 3 & 4 need to be cropped much tighter. Other than that, the timing is good, exposures and color are right on.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:01 PM
mkchang
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Girls Soccer for C&C

Got any like #5 with a defender?

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:06 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Shane Psaltis
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Girls Soccer for C&C

Dave,

I think they are great, I even like the first one, timing is good, were you kneeling for these shots??

I would say you are pretty dialed in. Look foward to more.

Shane

Aug 17, 2012 at 06:29 AM
dbaphotography
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Girls Soccer for C&C

Thanks very much for the feedback. Some comments on my selections...

I almost tossed shot #1 because of the ball being cut off and the second girls face being hidden, but something about it still held my attention. I was curious to see if others would react the same way I did. Obviously not everyone does.

All the shots were cropped to MaxPreps' standard ratio. #3 and #4 were long shots and already cropped close to my self-imposed limit of 1600 pixels minimum on a side. Given those constraints, I tried to show the ground underneath the players so one can see how high they were, and then I kept enough sky above them to try and balance things out. Maybe not as satisfying as a really tight crop, but I thought is was the best I could do with what I had to work with.

I get a lot of shots with multiple players in the scene, but since I'm shooting for MaxPreps, I find myself trying to get more isolated shots like #2 and #5 that parents might like of just their child. But here is an example of a more typical shot:

Aug 17, 2012 at 12:45 PM
PennsyBill
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Girls Soccer for C&C

Looking at them from the perspective of people who might buy the shots, in my limited experience #2, #5 and #6, depending on how many times in the past I'd taken similar photos would be images that would sell and #2 would be much better if the ball was in the frame.

The question becomes "Are we taking photos to impress the editors of SI or are we hoping to recoup some of our expenses by selling to parents and relatives?"

I'd love to sell an image to SI for it's cover but no matter how great a shot of a 14-year old soccer player is, the market is the family and more than once I've heard "I really like the photo but I wish it had some of her team-mates in it,"

Or, "Do you have any of her heading the ball where she isn't making a face?"

Aug 18, 2012 at 03:15 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Reset password