New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

onegreatcity
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

Just booked a working trip to AZ for a few days but photography is NOT the intent of the trip. That said, I can't imagine being there and not having a decent camera but my 1D3 won't be feasible.

I'm seriously considering picking up a 5Dc (got a line on a pretty good deal locally) and just my 40mm pancake to keep bulk and weight down.

The only other lens I own that I'd consider taking is the 24-105 but again, size and weight restrictions are a factor (I'm in a car with a crew and there is lots of other equipment to carry).

Crazy?

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:31 AM
bobsofpa
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

Having been there my recommendation would be "the Kitchen sink". You could make good use of every lens you own and then some. So, in your case the 24-105 would be the lens of choice. I would find something else to leave behind. Not sure the difference in size between a 1D3 and a 5D could be significant in packing a car but a 5D would be a great camera to have.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:03 AM
hbsiii

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

Spend the $ to go into the canyon with a small group if you can. Guides are available at the visitor center. It's a beautiful place.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:25 AM
Sneakyracer
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

Hi, I would take the zoom, a small tripod and ND and ND grad filter (2 stop at least). With the zoom you can take a wide variety of shots but if the time comes that you have a few extra minutes you can quickly set up a shot. The ND filters are a must to control the contrast. Its a Canyon and you will most likely be there during full daylight hours when the light is very contrasty not at dawn or dusk when the light is ideal for color so also try black and white. I shoot raw and jpg and preview the BW using the in camera settings.

Aug 16, 2012 at 08:33 AM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

Thanks for the insight folks, much appreciated. I'd take it all if I could but our down-time is practically nil so if I get a chance to shoot it's purely run and gun handheld. From my modest collection the 24-105 is the logical choice. I won't have a tripod though, sigh...

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:51 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

When I went there last I used the 16-35, 24-70, 70-200/4 IS, and 300/4 on 1Ds IIIs. Today I'd probably take the new 24 and 17 TSEs instead of the 16-35 II.

EBH

Aug 16, 2012 at 07:00 PM
campyone
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

I assume you know that you can't go anywhere in Canyon De Chelly without a guide except for the overlooks on the North and South Rim and the White House Trail. You can sign up with a tour group or hire a guide yourself. I'd normally suggest the latter since it gives you a lot more freedom but it sounds like you'll be rushed for time so one of the tours might suit you.

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:24 PM
onegreatcity
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Canyon De Chelly/Chinle, AZ kit

campyone wrote:
I assume you know that you can't go anywhere in Canyon De Chelly without a guide except for the overlooks on the North and South Rim and the White House Trail. You can sign up with a tour group or hire a guide yourself. I'd normally suggest the latter since it gives you a lot more freedom but it sounds like you'll be rushed for time so one of the tours might suit you.

I actually wasn't aware but the company booking our travel and accommodation apparently knew. Thanks for the heads up!

Aug 16, 2012 at 09:41 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.