Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

Loren E
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

Hey all, I shoot a pair of D7000s and am looking at the Sigma tele zooms, specifically the 120-400 and 50-500. I have read the 50-500 has the best IQ of the 3 they make, but am concerned about shooting at 400-500 where I will be at F6.3 for max aperture + adding a CPL many times....will my autofocus that Nikon says needs F5.6 to function (I realize this can be stretched a bit) be really poor? With a CPL I will probably be at like F7.1 for the AF system and want to know if that is adequate, or a reason to consider the 120-400 harder because it will at least be F5.6 (+ CPL) at 400....

Thanks for any help! It is really appreciated -Loren

Aug 16, 2012 at 05:27 AM
MichGoBlue
• •
p.1 #2 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

I borrowed a 50-500 to use with my D7000 for soccer and found the AF to be really slow as it was. Probably my technique with it needed some tweaking, but I wasn't really happy with it.

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:54 PM
MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

What kind of subjects are you going to use with the Bigma?

I had shot a Bigma on my 7K and D3s. If you are using the OS you need to prefocus (get it going) and keep the active focus running before the action, that split second or two before you actually take the shot. Once I did that I had no issues with the Bigma on my 7K and D3s.

Sure the 7K was a split second slower, but comparing it to the D3s isnt fair.

I didnt like the F6.3 for high school football or other outdoor sports. No where near enough light and was stuck shooting between 10000 and 12,800 under crappy lights. Not to mention the DOF was so much the separation wasnt that desirable. Not enough blur and isolation of subject.

I just bit the bullet and bought the 120-300 F2.8. Havent shot a night game, but have practiced on other subjects at lower light levels similar and i'm very impressed for what I spent. But then again around 3k compared to what 1600 or so its expected. I also realize it isnt a 400 2.8 prime. I make do.

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:21 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Loren E
• • •
p.1 #4 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

I would be using it mostly for wildlife. I shoot fish sometimes (for fly fishing publications) and so often use a CPL. I definitely want AF capable of decent bird-in-flight results. I won't be doing sports with it. I have the 120-300 F2.8 pre-OS but it is too big and heavy I think for much of what I do, and also doesn't have OS. The OS version is just too pricy and impractical size-wise for me. The 120-400 would be perfect for me except all these reports of softness at the long end.

"I had shot a Bigma on my 7K and D3s. If you are using the OS you need to prefocus (get it going) and keep the active focus running before the action, that split second or two before you actually take the shot. Once I did that I had no issues with the Bigma on my 7K and D3s. "

.....pre-focus just to get the OS activated, but not prefocused on the subject necessarily right? As in with AFC you can still track a moving subject I hope?

thanks all -Loren

Aug 17, 2012 at 05:00 AM
MakoShark
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

Loren E wrote:
.....pre-focus just to get the OS activated, but not prefocused on the subject necessarily right? As in with AFC you can still track a moving subject I hope?

thanks all -Loren

yes to activate the OS. Once that was rolling the focus never had issues keeping up for HS Football.

Sounds like for your options I agree with your thoughts. Good luck. PIcking a lens is sometimes the most difficult thing to do.

Aug 17, 2012 at 11:12 AM
Loren E
• • •
p.1 #6 · Sigma 50-500 Biga AF on D7000?

Thanks Mako, agreed that the lens debate can be tough! I just nabbed a Siggy 120-400 off amazon used for a great price, so will see how that lens performs and if it is sub par I can send it back.

Aug 17, 2012 at 02:14 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username   Password    Retrive password