Home · Register · Search · View Winners · Software · Hosting · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username   Password

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2012 · A Photo with a Question

helenica
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · A Photo with a Question

I am mainly a landscape photographer with some portraits, but when the chance presents itself I occasionally shoot birds. However, I am less aware of what the norms here on the animal forum are. Take this case: if this bird was a person I would most likely retouch the obvious blemish if that was what the model wanted. But is it ethical to retouch nature photo's? What would you guys do?

Aug 15, 2012 at 06:42 PM
jdc562
• • •
p.1 #2 · A Photo with a Question

I would not retouch. Worn feathering is a natural part of the bird and is seasonal information. Just hypothetically, something like a disease or gull attacks have been harming puffins, and here you have photo documentation of that, which is much more important than cosmetics. I think most biologically oriented photographers would only consider retouching things like a stick blocking part of the eye if that were really detracting from the i.d., etc., or cloning out an odd part of another bird sticking into the edge of an image.

Aug 15, 2012 at 07:02 PM
Rob Tillyer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · A Photo with a Question

Beauty shot.
I think we all have different standards as to retouching. In this case I would be more inclined to try to pull down the highlights on the whites but I really don't mind a little retouching to tell a better story.

Rob

Aug 15, 2012 at 08:33 PM
Tim Kuhn
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · A Photo with a Question

If it was mine I would leave it as is, it's natural. I also don't see anything wrong with correcting it if that is to your taste.

Tim

Aug 15, 2012 at 11:09 PM
Hector Three

p.1 #5 · A Photo with a Question

I usually clean up dirty beaks and things like that.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:17 AM
Thomas Sanders
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · A Photo with a Question

We bird shooters are more concerned with ethics at the moment we photograph these beautiful creatures, not so much when we process the image for presentation

A fine image Helen and you should investigate this brand of photography more if you are inclined

Tom

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:36 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

KCollett
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · A Photo with a Question

Nice shot Helen. Looks good as is from a cosmetic point of view.

Aug 16, 2012 at 12:41 AM
surfnron
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · A Photo with a Question

Everyone sets their own standards Helen. I normally only retouch a subject if something draws my eyes where I don't want them to go. Now BG elements and other distractions disappear all the time... ~ Ron

Aug 16, 2012 at 01:12 AM
jodelak
• • •
p.1 #9 · A Photo with a Question

Scars or survival marks tell stories, so for me, imho, will not edit those "imperfections". But I understand that sometimes there are cases that our photo is almost the perfect photo, if not for those blemishes, so the temptation of fixing those blemishes is very strong. I guess at the end of the day, what matters is you should be happy with the final image (whatever you decide to do)

Aug 16, 2012 at 02:07 AM
kmunroe
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · A Photo with a Question

nice one Helen.. i would leave it untouched

Aug 16, 2012 at 06:10 AM
helenica
• • •
p.1 #11 · A Photo with a Question

Thanks everyone for the feedback.